Old 01-03-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default Allergic reaction

Last year, I had a tattoo on my right forearm with lots of red in it (twenty-sixth tattoo in all, second by the same guy, never any problems before, but none of the others had a LOT of red).
My arm blew up like Pop-eye, and the red parts of tattoo went really scabby.
(Scabby like you grazed your knee scabby, not scabby like new tattoo scabby)
After about 6 weeks it all calmed down and, despite losing a little bit of the colour, the tattoo still looks brilliant.
Now the question;
Iím looking to go back again for some new ink, this time on my left forearm, again with lots of red in it. Can I expect the same reaction or, like when they give someone a small taste of the flu with a flu jab, and the body developes anti-bodies to fight off a real infection, should I be ok this time?
Old 01-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #2
sly
Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend John
Last year, I had a tattoo on my right forearm with lots of red in it (twenty-sixth tattoo in all, second by the same guy, never any problems before, but none of the others had a LOT of red).
My arm blew up like Pop-eye, and the red parts of tattoo went really scabby.
(Scabby like you grazed your knee scabby, not scabby like new tattoo scabby)
After about 6 weeks it all calmed down and, despite losing a little bit of the colour, the tattoo still looks brilliant.
Now the question;
Iím looking to go back again for some new ink, this time on my left forearm, again with lots of red in it. Can I expect the same reaction or, like when they give someone a small taste of the flu with a flu jab, and the body developes anti-bodies to fight off a real infection, should I be ok this time?
I'd say like myself and many others ,you suffer from 'red rage'.Its a common reaction to certain red pigments and results in difficult healing like you describe.It does settle in the end but can take a while.I don't let it put me off getting red in my tattoos as I know long term it will be OK',but I would brace myself for more of the same.I find taking anti histamines and using plenty of moisturiser keeps it under control during the difficult healing period.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:53 AM   #3
Jedi Chat Master

I get the same with many reds and also pink and magenta, as they are red based. I had a particularly nasty red reaction about 10 years ago, no fault of the tattooist who did the tattoo, a cover-up on my right calf, which took a couple of months to fully settle down, and left some horrible pock-marked scarring on the areas that were originally reacting. That cover-up has now been covered up and due to the skin being slightly resurfaced by the newer tattooing, the scarred area is gone.

It's obviously down to individual suppliers reds, as I've done some small gap fillers recently around the hip areas, and the red I used in the 3 areas has gone in a treat and healed up in 3-4 days. As tattooists, we're as much in the dark as to whats in the pigments as the punters, since suppliers won't say whats in them or even accept liability for reactions caused by them.

Last edited by sean; 02-03-2008 at 01:56 AM.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

Some suppliers wont....not all.
However good one's also recommend a skin patch test.
Ask your artist which make, are are they still in shelf life before he uses it on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
I get the same with many reds and also pink and magenta, as they are red based. I had a particularly nasty red reaction about 10 years ago, no fault of the tattooist who did the tattoo, a cover-up on my right calf, which took a couple of months to fully settle down, and left some horrible pock-marked scarring on the areas that were originally reacting. That cover-up has now been covered up and due to the skin being slightly resurfaced by the newer tattooing, the scarred area is gone.

It's obviously down to individual suppliers reds, as I've done some small gap fillers recently around the hip areas, and the red I used in the 3 areas has gone in a treat and healed up in 3-4 days. As tattooists, we're as much in the dark as to whats in the pigments as the punters, since suppliers won't say whats in them or even accept liability for reactions caused by them.
Woody666 is offline   Reply With Quote