Old 02-04-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
Chat Slut

Default White Ink Reaction

I got a black and grey tattoo a couple of years ago wite a tiny bit of white in it (2-3 mm square). This part of the tattoo was extremely itchy and slightly raised for months afterwards, I didn't think too much into it, but it was very annoying. It eventually healed. I then went to the same artist for another black an grey tattoo this time with a lot more white. Again this took about 6 months to heal the white was raised and very itchy. I went to the doctor who said it was a reaction to the ink and it would settle down. Stupidly, I then went to another artist for more black and grey work with more white highlighting, this time was the worst, the white was raised and the itch was really really bad this time. This eventually settle also.

But every now and again the white in two of the tattoo's decides to flair up at the same time for a few days at a time.

I have still to contact the two guys to find out what ink they used. Once I find out I will get patch tests with other white ink.

Has anyone here come accross reactions to white ink?
Eyectopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Banned

white can sometime be a bugger. Sometis takes a while for it to settle and stop being shiny.

Never had a reaction to any ink myself, But i do sometimes get swelling and lumpy area of skin that itches. But only in areas that have been over worked and have 3-4 layers of ink over the top.
saturns_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to LuciiFera

One of my friends had their tattoo whited out, prior to a cover up, and took reaction to the white. A bad rash and a little bit of weeping, the doctor just prescribed some heavy duty anti-histamines, and it cleared up just fine. In fact we used some more white - cut with another colour weeks later, and there was no reaction at all. It seemed to be the sheer amount that was used, as we totally saturated a large area with white ink. The cover up worked though, and it was covering up a large, very black tribal tattoo
Old 02-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
Chat Slut

I put the first time I got the reaction down to it being overworked as it looked overworked straight away. The other times it definitely wasn't overworked. There was no weeping or anything from it was just raised and a bit read around the tattooed area, but the itch was unbelieveable.

That is class that the cover up worked. I am thinking of getting a cover up of a few older tattoos, I would try that method if it wasn't for the reactions I had before.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciiFera
One of my friends had their tattoo whited out, prior to a cover up, and took reaction to the white. A bad rash and a little bit of weeping, the doctor just prescribed some heavy duty anti-histamines, and it cleared up just fine. In fact we used some more white - cut with another colour weeks later, and there was no reaction at all. It seemed to be the sheer amount that was used, as we totally saturated a large area with white ink. The cover up worked though, and it was covering up a large, very black tribal tattoo
Didnt realise you were a tattooist until I saw the above. I had a look at your site, very nice work! I love that Gibson Girl Painting! I have wanted a Gibson girl tattoo for ages but never got around to getting one. I only joined up here a few days ago and the amount of quality stuff I have seen since in crazy.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

think of tattoo ink as teeny tiny little molecules of colour in a carrier liquid. because white isn't a colour it takes bigger teeny tiny molecules (...)to make an impression - so white takes longer to settle.

alternatively, white tattoo ink is actually made from polar bears - and they're big fuckers, so it takes longer to settle.
Dahlia Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to LuciiFera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyectopus
Didnt realise you were a tattooist until I saw the above. I had a look at your site, very nice work! I love that Gibson Girl Painting! I have wanted a Gibson girl tattoo for ages but never got around to getting one. I only joined up here a few days ago and the amount of quality stuff I have seen since in crazy.
Thank you very much As for your cover up, whiting out *can* work, but I would say a few sessions of laser before the cover-up, to remove the darkest areas may be more successful. It depends on the original tattoo though, the darker the tattoo, generally the better it responds to laser.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #8
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by violet grimm
alternatively, white tattoo ink is actually made from polar bears - and they're big fuckers, so it takes longer to settle.
Please can I get you to explain everything to me in the world that ever confuses me?
You seem to explain things on my level
memma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by violet grimm
think of tattoo ink as teeny tiny little molecules of colour in a carrier liquid. because white isn't a colour it takes bigger teeny tiny molecules (...)to make an impression - so white takes longer to settle.

Never knew the parts in the white was bigger.

The polar bear thing makes sense, especially that they are angry big fuckers.

Last edited by Eyectopus; 02-04-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #10
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciiFera
Thank you very much As for your cover up, whiting out *can* work, but I would say a few sessions of laser before the cover-up, to remove the darkest areas may be more successful. It depends on the original tattoo though, the darker the tattoo, generally the better it responds to laser.
I had considered lasering and had booked sessions but after talking to the technician I was put off by the technicians lack of knowledge. The stuff I would have to get lasered is not too bad but its in the way, it should be ok with laser as it is outlines that are still pretty dark with very little colour. It is a few pieces on my upper arm, so lasering could allow me to get a nice one piece sleeve or I can keep what I have and get it added to. Too many choices!