Old 30-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
Chat Slut

Default Usa - Uk Shops

Hey,
are there any artists that have done guest work out in the states?? are there big differences in how they have to work according to the authoritys?the way things are sterilised, the equipment, ink etc

i have been offered the chance to go and do a kind of pre- apprentiship/apprentiship for 3 months in the states through a friend, i know 3months isnt ages but he thinks it will be enough time to teach me cleanliness, equipment setup and also up my game with drawing everyday in a proffesional environment.

wanted to make sure everything i learn will be useful when i come back to blighty because obviously its unpaid and i gotta pay for flights etc!

craigy
craigylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
Jim
Jedi Chat Master

I have worked all over the states. That was a long time ago though, I would suggest you look into the legalities of work visas etc and save yourself from a 10-year ban from entering if the INS Nazis take a dislike to you. Oh aye, and mentioning you're a Tattooist is like saying you're a terrorist to them.

Much as I love the land,and as many good friends as I miss, I just can't be bothered visiting a country that elected a Bush THREE TIMES!
The most retarded one of them TWICE!!! WTF?
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
Chat Slut

ha ha,
i don't think i will need a visa because i wont be getting paid, and thats why im only staying for 3 months you can stay for 90 days without a visa.

i was out there in december and customs were ok, they took my photo and that was about it,
Old 30-05-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

three months is not nearly long enough and i'd be very suspicious of anyone claiming it was a good way in. an apprenticeship in the country you live in and plan to work in is indespensible now, especially with legislation being tightened - there is SO MUCH to know before you even sit down to do a tattoo.

the laws are often quite different from country to country. in fact many products legal in the states are banned in the EU. get trained in the uk if you plan to work in the uk, that's my advice.

'from the heart of death i strike at thee!'

Last edited by deadlifter; 30-05-2008 at 09:49 PM.
deadlifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
Chat Slut

i don't expect an easy ride i have been self employed as a tour manager for the past 2 years so i know full well the ups and downs.

And i dont expect to come back after 3 months and start tattooing, i'm hoping 3 months experience will help me get an apprentiship overhere.
Old 31-05-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
Mumbler

I say, take any help that's offered. It's all experience right? It's only three months out of your life and who knows where it could lead? what people you'll meet and what connections you might make? Why not just go for it?
gypsy tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 12:56 AM   #7
Jim
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigylee View Post
ha ha,
i don't think i will need a visa because i wont be getting paid, and thats why im only staying for 3 months you can stay for 90 days without a visa.

i was out there in december and customs were ok, they took my photo and that was about it,
You seem kinda naive for someone who has been tour managing for 2 years.
Tell you what, completely disregard the post I made.
Off you go and enjoy yourself, and I'm sure when you explain what you are planning on staying 3 months to do, you'll be fine.
All the best to you.

PS: Which state/studio just out of curiosity...?

Last edited by Jim; 31-05-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 02:32 AM   #8
Jedi Chat Master

aye jim what would we know?

best keep our mouths shut in future and leave these expert lone warriors to forge ahead resolutely on their own informed & worldly paths.

'from the heart of death i strike at thee!'
deadlifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 06:16 AM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

Traitor .....going To The Usa, Learning How To Sweep The Floors And Draw All A Yanks New Flash For Them.?

And Making Coffee All Day.

And Cleaning Everything In Sight In The Autoclave.

And Putting Everything Into Plastic Bags And Cling Film.

And After All That Getting Sent Home For Illeaglly Working
Without A Visa, And Getting Arrested For Being A Foreign Tourist Bomber In Their Heavenly Country Of The Land Of Milk And Honey, Bullshit And Money More Like.

You Lucky Fukka........good Luck.

Wouldnt Bother With Visas........cheat And Tell Them Fuck All.

Unless They Ask Your Visiting Friends......better Still Relations.

The Cunts Dont Need To Know Your Life Story.

Good Luck To You....and Enjoy The Experience.:d

inkcastle bebo

inkcastle website

myspace inkcastle
PERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:15 AM   #10
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
You seem kinda naive for someone who has been tour managing for 2 years.
Tell you what, completely disregard the post I made.
Off you go and enjoy yourself, and I'm sure when you explain what you are planning on staying 3 months to do, you'll be fine.
All the best to you.

PS: Which state/studio just out of curiosity...?
Dont get me wrong im not gonna disregard anything thats why i made a post, i have never had a poblem getting in the states before thats all i am saying, for all customs care im a tourist. Anyway i was asking about the difference in the industrys not customs

im going to clearwater to a friends shop wicked ink, i just think it will be a good experience and may be useful when i eventually try and get an apprentiship over here. as i have the oppertunity.