Old 19-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default My Apprenticeship Interview Experiance

So I had the interview , I had spent ages leading up to it doing drawings and paintings, preparing myself making sure I was on top form with knowledge of up n coming atists and it was a bit of a let down to be honest.

The guy that interviewed me was not very personable and it only lasted about 15 mins. He made a few scribbles on a sheet of folded up paper, the only coment that he made was that there was not enough drawing peices and the paintings are not worth looking at. For some reason he said that he could only tell how I use colours in drawings and the tattoing is nothing like painting.

I had the second interview last week and it went a lot better than the first one.
we had a really good chat about conventions and favorite artists I felt like I was really in with a chance especially after he explained that attitude can carry you a long way and its not always about the best art work as I know that there is alot of really good artists out there.

Anyway I didn't get the job he emailed me this week to let me know which was good of him, as i have had many interviews for design jobs and no one bothered to let me know either way.

So I asked him if he could give me give me a little feedback.
It would be nice to know what he liked about me and what he didn't and where he thought I can improve so that I can use this to further my efforts to finding an apprenticeship.

and this is what he wrote (or pasted from the last response):

"To be honest there's people doing work that is alot better in a number of ways and appeared to want it a bit more than you seemed to. Unfortantly Tattooing is a hard job to get
into with good reason, now there's the like's of miami ink Tattooing has become fashion. This has ment a flood of people in and around Tattooing, this produce's good and bad with
every angle. The downside from your point of view is that now there is a massive influx of people wanting to join the trade. This mean's the stake's are raised and the standard
increase's, the competion now is high due to the fact there are so many people wanting to train. We have at least 5 people a week asking about apprentiship's, bear in mind we
might take on 1 every 2 years between 3 shops. That's 10 people a week between the two shop's at the moment so if you work out how many people we see in a year there's a
massive competition."

There is nothing constructive in the response what so ever, in fact it is just one big insult that generalizes people looking for apprenticeships.

I really wanted to reply to him pointing this out but my partner said it was pointless so I thought I would have a rant on here instead.

Any way rant over.

Phew!
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
Chat Slut

Well unfortunetly this is how i goes sometimes, i myself am looking for an apprenticeship and some of the artists that i asked just gave me blunt, useless answers, i wouldn't take offence (no matter how rude it may be) because you won't last long, it's just their way of saying no.

And i wouldn't say the second guys input was useless, he is saying you need to bring something to the table that sets you apart from the rest, this again is something i have been told to a lot, which in a way makes sense why would you want to apprentice someone that can't benefit themselves or the industry in a positive way. So when creating work just think "how can this be different/ better than anything anyone else would have?" try and find artist that started bringing different aspects to the industry!
and as for advice goes, the usual tips are -

- Better your line work to perfection as this is 80% of what you'll be tattooing

- Create stuff that stands out above the rest

- And Draw, Draw, Draw, Learn, Learn, Learn

obviously if anyone wants to add just go for it, this is just what i have found is the standard feedback for most people

Last edited by Bowey90; 19-03-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Bowey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
Mumbler

I had a shop experience last September (not the shop I'll be going back this year for my sleeve). I went in with my portfolio, the owner checked it out, and told me to leave my name and email for him to contact. A week later, I went back for a portrait tattoo of my dog,(there was an artist there that specializes in black/grey portraits, and I wanted that piece done because my dog was given away for adoption due to the fact my new landlord wouldn't allow pets, and we've had her for 3 years ), and the owner said he was just about to call me. So when I heard that I was super happy and excited, and I sat down for my tattoo.

The shop already has an apprentice, and he was watching his master tattoo me at the beginning. Then I noticed his sketchbook, and I had to say it wasn't the best work I've seen (not being cocky, just honest), and about 20 minutes into the tattoo, the apprentice started to pay attention to something else, and the artist had to repeatedly tell him to focus.

After my tattoo was done (it was amazing), the owner said we might need someone next week to do some free labor around the shop, and asked me if I was down. I told him I'd be more than happy to help out, and he said great, wait for his call.

2 Weeks passed, and I got a voice mail from him saying he doesn't need me anymore, and said thanks for everything.

My overall impression is, I know the tattoo industry is really hard to get in, and there is a lot of competition around my area as well, but the apprentice that was there had me asking if this was a shop I'd really like to join. (Maybe he was just really tired that day, so I ain't gonna stress on that.)

Just sharing one of my many more shop experiences, nth personal against the shop or its artists.

Last edited by artist204; 20-03-2011 at 12:43 AM.
artist204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
Chat Slut

Yeah i know what ya mean,you get really excited and think something is going to start happening then it just doesn't =/ but unfortanetly it happens! But by the sounds of it the apprentice there didn't seem too keen, its like the tattoo parlour in my local area it is really good and the guys there are brilliant and really easy to get along with, but unfortunetly they already have an appentice, and ironically he was on my art course the year before and left the first week in to go apprentice, just makes me think if i had started looking before him, that would've been me, and i'm not being big headed but i saw some of his work and i was a lot better, but obviously you can't just chuck a current apprentice away for a new one that's just a dick move, so it really is a matter of luck and patience!
Old 19-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
Chat Virgin

Bowey you obviously have a lot of experience in this area as you talk like a pro!!

With regards to your first response you have mentioned nothing that anyone who has done any research or interest in this area does not already know. You cannot possibly comment on the comments made in my interview unless you have seen my portfolio.

You like the person that interviewed me obviously think I spend all day watching miami ink and have no formal art qualification. I must point out that I have never watched a episode of miami ink or La ink for that matter.

@artist204 that is unfortunate it sounds like that he guy is taking the piss out of people. One thing that struck me as rather odd from my interview is that the guy told me most places charged up to 30000 to do an aprenticeship like he would be doing me a favour, I think that alot of tattooist these days are taking advantage of people who want to get into the industry and exploiting them.

What you need to remember is that most tattooists have had no formal apprenticeship and are self taught obviously it is a steep learning curve teaching yourself and would be easier if taught by a "proffesional" but don't be taken for a mug!!
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils View Post
Bowey you obviously have a lot of experience in this area as you talk like a pro!!

With regards to your first response you have mentioned nothing that anyone who has done any research or interest in this area does not already know. You cannot possibly comment on the comments made in my interview unless you have seen my portfolio.

You like the person that interviewed me obviously think I spend all day watching miami ink and have no formal art qualification. I must point out that I have never watched a episode of miami ink or La ink for that matter.
What are you trying to say? i was just trying to be helpful.But you clearly haven't done your research have you? because you would already have work that in innovative and is above everyone else, but clearly not!

yeah your right i can't comment on your portfolio but by the looks of some of your work in your profile you NEED to keep drawing, those Skulls are terrible, but anyway's with your attitude you probably will never get an apprenticeship, because if you get this angry over a few rejections, you aint gonna get far!
Old 20-03-2011, 01:29 AM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

I'm just wondering how much actual work (tattoos) you people have on you?

you said you didn't really get any constructive critisism, but this..

"To be honest there's people doing work that is alot better in a number of ways and appeared to want it a bit more than you seemed to"

is just about as constructive as it gets...my advice...get tattooed a lot, hang out at your favourite studios, gain knowledge, earn and show respect, get to some conventions, become "a face" that artists get to know be prepared to have many doors slammed in your face and then get back on your feet and try again, and most of all stop whining when things don't go you way, life's a bitch...get used to it

Last edited by busa; 13-06-2011 at 04:02 PM.
busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 06:08 AM   #8
Mumbler

The argument has been repeated countless times, whether u should get tattooed lots, or hang out at a shop lots, or draw lots, etc etc.

So far, actual advices I get from actual tattoo artists are keep drawing and keep looking, and not get tattooed and hang out at a shop until someone hands you an apprenticeship.

To each its own

Last edited by artist204; 20-03-2011 at 05:49 PM.
artist204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 12:16 AM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

you don't seem to have grabbed the concept of what i said..."keep drawing and keep looking" is not advice its stating the obvious.

Whether you agree with me or not and whether its been argued countless times the fact is most tattoo artists are passionate people and when they're looking for an apprentice they want to see the same passion, commiment, desire and hunger that they had, not some wannabe that thinks this is a good way to earn a real nice living.
Getting tattooed a lot shows them that at the very least you are commited to the artform.

The OP has said they have never watched an episode of miami ink,la ink etc...says it all really...either a liar or no real interest in tattooing.......because as crass as the shows are and the shamelessness of some (not all) of the personalities in them there's an underlying theme of tattoo art and if that doesn't spark at least a little curiosity in someone who claims to desperately wants to apprentice in the industry then something stinks.
busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 03:12 AM   #10
Chat Slut

Sorry to heap it on, Nils, but as well as the very well reasonsed post by Busa, above, you've also shot yourself in the foot by coming on here and bitching. I don't know who you are, or where it is you went, but if the shop that you went to comes on here and reads your post, where you are clearly ungrateful for any time spent at all by the studio, then you can be sure they will be criticising you to all their other studio contacts...they do know who you are and your actual name and address. That'll make it harder for you to even get an interview, never mind an actual apprenticeship!
CookieHound is offline   Reply With Quote