Old 30-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
Chat Virgin

Send a message via MSN to Pumpkin Steve

They look amazing, is the third picture of something famous? a film?
Pumpkin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
Mumbler

Ta very much Pumpkin Steve!

The round painting was actually commissioned for a sci-fi novel launched last year. It was a great project involving 5 artists who all had to create something based on an emotion that featured in the book. I got the task of representing Love - so tried to create something that wasn't overly slushy and mushy, more intense and solid.

You can find out more about this here.
ToriMayTattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:05 AM   #13
We Are Not Worthy

Welcome to the forums! love your stuff hun, you should be fine
Ash Higham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #14
Mumbler

Hi Ash, thank you and I appreciate the warm welcome
Old 01-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #15
Chat Slut

I'm sure you'll get there if you persevere, your work is beautiful, lovely paintings!! just be confident that your work is good, no doubt about that
SusieMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #16
Chat Slut

I started my training at 30 so you aren’t too old to give it a go. Having a background such as yours is a plus but you will also need a strong back being bent into awkward positions for long periods of time will really test your lower back.
A strong stomach sooner or later someone will quite literally spill their guts quite possibly all over you and sometimes when a client passes out they will lose control of their bowels and bladder. Guess who gets to clean that lot up and deal with an embarrassed,confused and very smelly client.
The ability to concentrate for hours at a stretch doing a big piece after which you will feel absolutely drained and then in walks your next client and expects you to be bright breezy and cheerful.
Infinite patience you can expect to answer the same old questions ad nauseum and have to be as polite and courteous every time you answer, and do the same design over and over till you are sick of the sight of it and wishing whichever celebrity had it done all manner of evil. Dealing with nervous,scared clients who won’t sit still no matter how many times you tell them ( like trying to signwrite a swinging board in a force nine gale) and all the other variations dealing with the general public brings.
A skin like a rhino, this can be a very bitchy business
I’m not trying to put you off, indeed I wish you all the best if you are prepared to give it 100 percent. Just trying to point out that it’s not at all like what most folks imagine.
magnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #17
Mumbler

Cheers Susie May and thank you too magnu for your honest take on it.

I really appreciate the 'warts and all' tattoo job description. Given the recent surge in tattoo 'reality' TV, I'd say now more than ever there's a pretty rose-tinted view of what it is to be a tattoo artist.

But like all jobs I expect there to be pros and cons, a few of which you mentioned, and I expect it to be a hard slog from day one. Whilst getting my latest tattoo the artist was explaining to me how tattooing is a trade, not an art form. It's a trade because you are trying to meet the client’s needs, not just answering your own artistic vision, and those damn peacock feathers can take days to get right :P

The better you become, the choosier you can afford to be with your work, but again, the same can be said for a number of other jobs.

The attitude I’ve got from working in graphic design for a few years is that you either need to regard your job as simply a way of funding your passions in life, or believe that it is as close to your passion as it could possibly be. In the case of the latter, the positives hopefully out-weigh the negatives, or this is how I see it anyway.

Thanks again for pointing out a few of the details of tattooing in practise that are well worth remembering.

Oh and I've got to ask - have you had such a gross/smelly/gut spilling experience magnu?!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #18
Chat Slut

After 19 years in the trade I haven't had anyone upchuck over me but have had plenty of experience of soap dodgers and the like. The only time I came close to hurling myself was when doing a piece on a girls lower back and because she was tensing up let loose with one of the most vile farts it has been my misfortune to experince, a real SBD that I got the full effect of up close and personal. I had to stop for a ciggy break as my eyes were watering that much.
magnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:25 PM   #19
Mumbler

Yeeessshh magnu that's really rather gross! Bet the girl in question was on some kinda freaky diet hence the otherwordly gases

Still think I could handle it though, i'm currently sharing my days with a 2 year old - a plethora of smells right there.
Old 20-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #20
Mumbler

Default An update of work...

Hello!
I just wanted to add a portrait painting I did yesterday to my thread here to display a bit more recent work.

This is acrylics on canvas.