Old 14-12-2011, 04:23 AM   #1
Chat Virgin

Red face 3rd degree burn tattoo cover up

I had gotten 35% of my body burned with some severe 3rd degree burns a little over 14 years ago. Ive asked over a dozen tattoo artist theyre oppinion about the matter and they all gave me drastically different answers with little hope so i guess im here to get a more accurate perception of what my options are. Im wanting to get all my burns covered with japanese style art and any advice on the matter would be great. I have thick, not thin scarring on my body some raised and rigid other areas smooth and flat.I realise this is a much different case than normal scars like acne,cuts,minor burns etc. Please help im tired of being haunted by these scars!
Attached Thumbnails
3rd degree burn tattoo cover up-100_2114.jpg   3rd degree burn tattoo cover up-100_1934.jpg   3rd degree burn tattoo cover up-100_2217.jpg  
Attached Images

ryo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Chat Slut

Not got a clue what I'm talking about realistically but personally think there shouldn't be any trouble if you get yourself to a decent artist. Many burns get tattood over with no problem, a friend of mine is having his currently done over. Like I said, go to a decent artist for the best result (which is the case with any tattoo I guess)
HaydnHigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
Rambler

Some of the best tattoos over burn scars I have seen are by Guy Aitchison in the USA. He did a complete sleeve on a man many years ago who was extensively burnt in a house fire. His scarring was very 'textured' like yours is. Guy (in a collaboration with Jon Clue, I think) used the texture of the skin in the design of the tattoos, to amazing effect.

I can find anything on line showing it but I;m sure I;ve got pics in an old tattoo mag somewhere.

Here is a smaller cover-up on burns that Guy did

Guy Aitchison's Gallery :: Coverups :: abw

Not saying you need to see Guy necessarily, but you do need to find an artist who is capable of working well with scarred skin. You may not be able to have EXACTLY what you want, due to the scarring, but a great artist will create something very special for you.
redvelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Banned

I am no expert but I understand that some Ruby Laser treatment can make the scars "settle" a little in some cases which may make it easier to tattoo over.

Either way, good luck.
UncleAlbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
Jedi Chat Master

Morag at Tribe in Glasgow has some pics on her website of ink on scars. It can definitely be done.
littlestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
Chat Virgin

OMG that Guy Aitchison cover up is wayyy more than i could ever ask for thank you! I was told by a few artist that if i did get a cover up it couldnt be anything even moderately detailed. Ive been planning my tattoo around that advice thinking i had to pic extremely simple designs but this gives me alot of hope, that cover up has an insane amount of detail and line work proving that guy wrong...which makes me happy. Either way whether its exact or not it cant be worse that the scars right?!
Old 26-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
Chat Virgin

So did you get the tats? I have similar scars to you and desperate to know the answer!
Claxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
Chat Virgin

Default not yet

Not yet, however ive been in contact with Guy Aitchison off and on and he reassured me all of my scars are tattooable. Give him a shout hes amazing and was very cool about it, im currently in the process of a move at the moment so it had to be put off. But it'll get done in the next year or less. Ill post pics whenever its finished, wish you the best of luck as well, its rough living with scars like those.
Old 25-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
Chat Virgin

I think you are beautiful as you are. I understand how you feel, I have a burn too. Only I am a woman so I am suppossed to have breathtaking skin. Hang in there. Dont tatoo yourself entirely. You are gorgeous. The burn doesnt change you.
laxandbaseballmom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
Rambler

So...you joined a Tattoo forum, and resurrected a dead thread in order to tell someone not to get inked.

Umm...troll off?
Crow Jane is offline   Reply With Quote