Old 06-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default Comments on artwork please, be gentle :P

Hello,

I realise the quality of the images isn't so great, but I'd like any constructive comments on the stuff I've put up today.

I have some other stuff Ive worked on but I wanted to see peoples opinions of these and if its worth me putting them in my portfolio when approaching studios for apprenticeships.

Thank you for your comments
Attached Thumbnails
Comments on artwork please, be gentle :P-img_2321.jpg   Comments on artwork please, be gentle :P-329882_467527519934586_930358298_o.jpg   Comments on artwork please, be gentle :P-voodoo-mistress.jpg   Comments on artwork please, be gentle :P-my-key-sketch-1.jpg  
Antler Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
We Are Not Worthy

First one;

Lines look clean on the picture. Use reference, look to get all the scales even/propotionate and look at the overall shape of the fish.

Second one;

Nice piece, not really a tattoo style piece but good to have variety in a portfolio I think (i'm no expert!)

Third one looks a bit unfinished. Look at the proportions and detail in the nose and mouth. Could be cool with a few little tweaks!

Last one, nice and simple and shading looks strong. Really like it.

Hope that helps, like I said I'm not really an expert!
captain_cabinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
We Are Not Worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_cabinet View Post
First one;

Second one;

Nice piece, not really a tattoo style piece but good to have variety in a portfolio I think (i'm no expert!)
I actually really like the second one and although it isn't what you would class as a traditional tattoo style, there are tattoo artists out there producing work of a similar nature. Personally, I would include it in a portfolio.
Paintingisntdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
Chat Virgin

Thank you guys,

All great comments with stuff for me to work on

I get pretty damn nervous approaching a studio so anything I can do to make my stuff stronger gives me a little more confidence.

Thanks
again.
Antler Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
We Are Not Worthy

Yeah no problem with it at all just not really the sort of thing I draw, so i couldn't really critique. I agree that it's good to have variety in the portfolio and I hope that came across in my post, wasn't intending to be negative.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
We Are Not Worthy

I really struggle with koi but there are some good reference books out there. I have just bought the Ichibay book which is full of Japanese reference and I am no good at Japanese stuff.
Old 16-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
Chat Virgin

I like the Marilyn Monroe! Nice work!
Old 18-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
Chat Slut

Hi

We all had to start somewhere and we are all still learning constantly so no need to be nervous

I think you need to study more Koi designs and it probably needs more shading (I drew I don't know how many Koi's before I grasped this lol)

I put a variation in my portfolio I think it's good to show to show you are versatile

Your lines are good and you have a good basis, just keep studying and looking at all kinds of designs, subject matter, styles.

Hope this helps you
scifinic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 12:37 AM   #9
Chat Virgin

Default Japanese tattoos are cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_cabinet View Post
I really struggle with koi but there are some good reference books out there. I have just bought the Ichibay book which is full of Japanese reference and I am no good at Japanese stuff.
Well, guys, I'm a big fan of Japan.
Oh yes, I'm planning to get a japanese tattoo - koi fish with some sakura blossoms. I found great examples of koi and blossoms separately, but can't find something good in one picture. Here I found nice sakura blossoms http://flowertattooideas.com/top-30-...ossom-tattoos/. Who can imagine them combined? I need to know
HenriettaSwang is offline   Reply With Quote