Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Apprenticeships/Advice/New to Tattooing...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2005, 09:09 PM   #1
Rambler

Default More good books/websites on Japanese tattoo's?

I have been doing research into Japanese tattoo's as this is the style I intend to go for. However being a bit of a bod at school and carrying that tradition on I need to understand as much about them as possible.
If anybody know's of any(more) good books/websites on Japanese style tattoo's (I have already used the search function and still want more) then I'd greatly appreciate it.

I am particularly interested in the link between traditional Japanese art (ie block printing etc) and the tattoo's that are similar to them with the pattern's etc laid onto flat characters. I have been reading into general Japanese art but have not seen any books that deal purely with that link. Any good advise for books on Japanese culture will also be appreciated.

I will also be going to see a few tattooists in the coming months about what I would like done. I have narrowed it down for artists work I like to Andy Barber, Mo Coppoletta, Neil Bass and the Xam69 guy on here. This is merely from looking at pictures and I realise their styles are different. If there are anymore artists who deal with Japanese/floral design with a strong graphical sense then please could you let me know. I'm in SE London so near there if possible.

Last edited by ginger knob; 03-10-2005 at 12:39 AM.
ginger knob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
Jim
Jedi Chat Master

Bushido: Legacies of the Japanese Tattoo.

On a related note:
I think everyone looking for an apprenticeship would be well advised to read this. Of course, there are different values, customs and attitudes involved, but when you see the sacrifices some people have made to Tattoo, then it may give you some insight as to why it's important to preserve our traditions.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:43 AM   #3
Rambler

Another little question mainly for people who are designing/inking. Do you mind when coustomers take in their own rough design for a large custom piece or do you prefer to have control, I know this is a personal thing but I'm just curious.

I dont want to offend someone by saying I'd like something pretty much like this if it ever gets to that stage. Doubt it will with me as I'd just like to pass on the rough idea with some reference pics, and the main image I wish to be used.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:46 PM   #4
Banned

most artists will be happy to work up an adaptation of an idea you bring along. If you want custom, you need to give the artist an idea to go from anyway.
1001110101010011110010101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:20 PM   #5
Rambler

I have managed to surprisingly easily convince a friend (female ) to help me with tattoo idea's and draw on my body. I've got some carbon paper and I'm ok at art, she is quite good. However what pen/s should I use to draw onto me?

Something that can be removed/alltered quickly etc. I.E. what do you tattooists use?
Old 19-10-2005, 12:25 PM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger knob
Something that can be removed/alltered quickly etc. I.E. what do you tattooists use?
I thought the whole point of the stencil fluid or skin pens was that they can't be removed easily??? Stops the design disappearing during the tattoo.

Hell, I've every time I've had one done its taken days of scrubbing to get rid of the excess blue shit.
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2005, 05:15 PM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via Yahoo to bigsteve

yeah tattooists always manage to get it on their faces,
bigsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2005, 07:48 PM   #8
Chat Virgin

Send a message via Yahoo to sparkly_spike

I always go by "if you can't read it/speak the language - don't get it" but that's just my opinion.
sparkly_spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2005, 10:11 PM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to Full on

If you are just drawing it onto yourself and not tattooing it then use a normal bic pen so it will come off easier if you use a skin marker it will be on you for weeks unless you know the tricks to get it off, but then it still takes for ever.

http://www.myspace.com/fullonink
Full on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2005, 11:12 PM   #10
Rambler

Thanks for all the tips. I thought the pens you used would have been more water soluble.