Old 27-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default I want to open a shop!

Hi guys!

Looking for some advice about maybe opening a tattoo shop.
'Why are you posting in the apprentice threads?!' I hear you cry... well, I'm not a tattooist, and I'm not an apprentice.
BUT HOLD ON.
BARE WITH ME.
I want to be an apprentice, and I am not apposed to going about it the old fashioned way, but I also have the opportunity to do it a little differently.
I have been saving, and I have come into a little money, and basically I can't handle 'normal' jobs. I sit at work and daydream about it all being different, and now an opportunity has presented itself and I wanna take the chance.
I have been making money from art for quite a few years but I want to step it up. Owning my own shop would be amazing. I DO NOT want to skip the apprentice stage, please don't think that. I am not talking 'self taught and ready to rumble.' I want to hire a tattooist (or two), AND be the apprentice to them.

Here's what makes me think it's doable:
-I know I can run a business, and my partner already runs a business and is more than willing to help (I have been heavily involved in the process.) I know it isn't a walk in the park, and though it's not a tattoo parlor, I believe the experience gives me a good idea of what to expect.
-I have enough money (I think), and can apply for grants.
-I have arty talent, and have been earning from commissions & doing concept art for a few years.
-I am booking myself in to do a piercing course in a few weeks time, so I can be useful even though I won't be tattooing straight away.
-If it all goes to s**t I still have a shop I can run, even if I'm not tattooing.
-If it really, REALLY goes to s**t, it was an experience (bright side?!)

Here's why I need advice:
-I don't know how doable this is. Would tattooists be okay with their apprentice also being their boss? It's an odd situation. I would be comfortable with it, and I believe I am a reasonable person. I would NOT act like I was in charge in tattooing matters etc.
-Finding a willing tattooist. Obviously I want someone experienced, and talented. is it a case of posting on here? I am also going to be frequenting the up coming tattoo cons this year (as many as I can), and will be asking around there.

If anyone could give me any advice, any at all, I would seriously appreciate it. I want to build up the courage to go ask around in a few local shops, but was wondering if any business owners on here could give me a heads up?
Thanks a million for any thoughts you might want to share!
thevoodoofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 09:01 PM   #2
Chat Virgin

Do you have any email address to discuss this?
silverin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 12:10 AM   #3
Chat Virgin

Sent you a PM.

Will post some work soon.
thevoodoofish is offline   Reply With Quote