Old 14-11-2017, 11:34 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Smile Critique on my flower designs

All critique welcome, just wanna get better .

Done on a4 pape,r coloured using felt tip pen as a base layer then, the high lights and the darker tones with colouring pencils.

Ps i my pictures are correctly orientated on my comp but when i upload it to this post in turns em 90 degrees and i cant figure out how to fix it
Attached Thumbnails
Critique on my flower designs-20171113_232951.jpg   Critique on my flower designs-20171112_164230.jpg   Critique on my flower designs-20171109_225454.jpg  
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 01:30 AM   #2
Chat Virgin

Good points

1. Overall the line work is fairly clean
2. value changes in the second and third are nice

BIts to improve on
1. Seems like you didnt think about where you light source was coming from? you need to think about that and keep it consistent throughout the drawing
2. in the first image the green leaves in the background are way too big and overpower the roses (which I assume are the focal point of the drawing) making the drawing less pleasing to the eye, just have a few small ones coming off each rose
3. I would of liked more contrast in the first image (though this is also due to the size of thoses green leaves I think
thatmathsguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 12:51 AM   #3
Chat Virgin

Awesome feed back, I really appreciate it. You're right, I remember thinking while I was colouring, that I wasn't being consistent with my light source. And the leaves in the first pic are way to dark and large, a lighter tone will help lift the roses for sure. :l
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Awesome feed back, I really appreciate it. You're right, I remember thinking while I was colouring, that I wasn't being consistent with my light source. And the leaves in the first pic are way to dark and large, a lighter tone will help lift the roses for sure. :l
You're welcome

If I was you I would take a course on light + shadow and one on value, contrast + edges (either paid or free, online, from books or from a drawing class) then followed by lots and lots of studies focusing on these skills if you want to get better quicker than just fully rendering objects, I would stay away from colour until you have become better in the above

Resources I know of

youtube (free, just look up some video series)
schoolism.com (paid but fairly cheap 23 a month but taught by great artists)
Pencil kings.com (again paid but I have heard positive things)

Books like 'how to render' by scott robertson are good too

These will give you the key concepts and then you just have to practice them lots
thatmathsguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote