Old 12-01-2018, 10:41 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default Seeking portfolio advice please x

So I've been working on my portfolio for a little while now and would really appreciate some critique. Do I need more colour pieces? More portraits/realism? Am I doing anything wrong? Thanks in advance :-)

PORTFOLIO
Emily88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 11:40 PM   #2
Chat Virgin

Bump?
Old 15-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
Chat Virgin

Hey Emily.
Ok so ... took a look, the work is good, some of it, some I honestly didn't bother to look long. I'm not sure the overall that you are striving for with your art portfolio, but it feels to me to be all over the place. Smaller pieces with no color large color, line drawings, paint or pencils. While the good of that is that you present a wide spectrum of your work, you didn't really show your talent. What I mean by that is what are you good at? What makes your work stand out? I was once told by a tattooer friend of mine when I was still wet behind the ears, stop experimenting and draw what you are good at, draw alot of it, draw it often, refine it, then draw it again. Perfect it. Save the other stuff for as you grow and learn and make your style without a blemish. Then expand your style after you have made the first as good as it can be. Not sure if that helps any, or at all. Good art though.
Spiderink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #4
Chat Virgin

Thankyou so much for your feedback- genuinely appreciate it. I love dotwork but wanted to show that I could do other things. Trying to be an all rounder might not be the best approach but I think I was trying to figure out which style would work for me and got a bit lost.
Old 16-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
Mumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily88 View Post
Thankyou so much for your feedback- genuinely appreciate it. I love dotwork but wanted to show that I could do other things. Trying to be an all rounder might not be the best approach but I think I was trying to figure out which style would work for me and got a bit lost.
I think this is the problem, you have at least a year of practising fundamental drawing + rendering skills before you should start to think about branching into a style, you cant develop a great style without having the foundations first. Having these fundamental skills will make being a all rounder easier as they apply to all subject matter and all styles not including abstract art)

For me its your rendering in anything but dotwork that needs work first so your understanding of values, edges and their relationships, I would do studies that practice that, also try drawing a range of complex subject matter as (at least from this) I cant tell massively if you have a good sense of form or not (your hands say you do but other bits say you dont).

Chances are you're not going to be a 'insert style' artist for the first few years of your tattooing life, you will tattoo what comes through the door as you wont have a following and you're unlikely to apprentice at a shop with a big following. Developing a style in drawing, transitioning that over to tattooing and then developing a clientele that wants that style takes years for most artists

If you worked on your fundamental skills for the next 6 months (every day drawing for 2 or more hours) that would propel your work forward in every style massively as you will understand a lot more why, for that particular style, it looks the way it looks, making it easier for you to make shape decisions, value choices and colour choices.
thatmathsguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 03:18 AM   #6
Chat Virgin

Thanks for the reply. Do you have a link to some of your work so I can see what you mean?