Old 27-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4
Default Mentor wants me to change my style

Hey everyone!
Iím a new apprentice, and itís all going well. Iím in a good shop and I really like my mentor.
Heís asked me to totally change how I draw my girls heads and I have done what he said and heís happy with how itís going. Iím more than happy to take any kind of critique or advice from my mentor. But the thing is, nobody else really likes the new stuff, and it gets about 25% of the response on social media than my older stuff. Now Iím really confused artistically. Even tho I want to take my mentors advice (and I am taking his advice) is also conscious of the fact I need to be building potential clientele, thus my concern about social media response.

I guess Iím hoping someone could give me some kind of reassurance. Did your mentor get you to change your style? Did it all pan out fine in the end? Does social media response matter/not matter?
.

Last edited by Cairoalaska; 14-06-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Cairoalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 4
Default

The ones you posted on May 14th and May 7th are the old style ? I dig those for sure, the latest two or three faces look like you’re trying to cramp the other style into the cookie cutter traditional American style, it looks way worse.
johnpaulww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 4
Default

At my last apprenticeship my mentor constantly encouraged me to practice American traditional style, and i ended up quitting that apprenticeship because he was super strict and hardcore and never said a single nice thing about any of my drawings. That being said, i don’t think there is anything wrong with understanding your style and other styles, i think it’s just being able to mentally file your drawin as style x or style y for whatever given situation you’re in. I definitely wouldn’t change your style, I’d say it’s about keeping your style but also learning to draw in other styles. Your style is rad though !
johnpaulww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 04:06 PM   #4
Mumbler
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairoalaska View Post
Hey everyone!
Iím a new apprentice, and itís all going well. Iím in a good shop and I really like my mentor.
Heís asked me to totally change how I draw my girls heads and I have done what he said and heís happy with how itís going. Iím more than happy to take any kind of critique or advice from my mentor. But the thing is, nobody else really likes the new stuff, and it gets about 25% of the response on social media than my older stuff. Now Iím really confused artistically. Even tho I want to take my mentors advice (and I am taking his advice) is also conscious of the fact I need to be building potential clientele, thus my concern about social media response.

I guess Iím hoping someone could give me some kind of reassurance. Did your mentor get you to change your style? Did it all pan out fine in the end? Does social media response matter/not matter?

you can check out my work at @kelchristiansen. The newer posts are what my mentor has directed me to draw, the older stuff is how I used to draw.
Have you had people tell you they arent better? I wouldnt rely on the amount of likes you get alone as there are so many factors that effect this

imo the ones from the 5th of may onwards are much better than any of the ones prior to this, if this is when you changed them then I personally think you should keep listening to your mentor. I think they are both drawn anatomically better and the proportions of everything are much better

One issue a lot of beginner artists face is they think their 'style' is what makes their drawings the way they look instead of it being issues with the actual art fundamentals of their drawing which is why it is so important to get honest critiques from other artists (especially ones better than you) as normally all of this is subconscious, giving yourself a honest critique that is just as good as what another honest artist would is really hard just because you dont always see the mistakes
thatmathsguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 03:41 AM   #5
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaulww View Post
The ones you posted on May 14th and May 7th are the old style ? I dig those for sure, the latest two or three faces look like youíre trying to cramp the other style into the cookie cutter traditional American style, it looks way worse.

Thatís my thoughts exactly! Itís so confusing. I just want to find a compromise but my mentor thinks all the girls heads I like are ugly. I definitely see the appeal and value in ultra pretty, traditional girls cause thatís what Iíve got tattooed on me, but it just doesnít feel right drawing that way. I like the stronger, creepy and possessed looking neotrad style. I just donít feel good drawing these girls that everyone else draws. It feels unoriginal. I know learning tattoo art takes a lot of referencing but And I have a lot to learn I just am struggling mentally with drawing this way
Cairoalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 03:44 AM   #6
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatmathsguy1 View Post
Have you had people tell you they arent better? I wouldnt rely on the amount of likes you get alone as there are so many factors that effect this

imo the ones from the 5th of may onwards are much better than any of the ones prior to this, if this is when you changed them then I personally think you should keep listening to your mentor. I think they are both drawn anatomically better and the proportions of everything are much better

One issue a lot of beginner artists face is they think their 'style' is what makes their drawings the way they look instead of it being issues with the actual art fundamentals of their drawing which is why it is so important to get honest critiques from other artists (especially ones better than you) as normally all of this is subconscious, giving yourself a honest critique that is just as good as what another honest artist would is really hard just because you dont always see the mistakes
Really appreciate your reply and perspective! Totally aware thereís tons of mistakes and errors in my art. I guess Iíve been trying so long to carve out my own little niche that suddenly drawing the way a lot of other people do just feels really weird. Iíve heard some people say that an apprenticeship is about doing what your mentor suggests then you can work out individuality and stuff later. Guess Iím just looking for a way to feel comfortable with going against my own instincts and drawing what is more commonly thought to be a classic tattoo style.
Cairoalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 03:50 AM   #7
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaulww View Post
At my last apprenticeship my mentor constantly encouraged me to practice American traditional style, and i ended up quitting that apprenticeship because he was super strict and hardcore and never said a single nice thing about any of my drawings. That being said, i donít think there is anything wrong with understanding your style and other styles, i think itís just being able to mentally file your drawin as style x or style y for whatever given situation youíre in. I definitely wouldnít change your style, Iíd say itís about keeping your style but also learning to draw in other styles. Your style is rad though !
Thankyou! I quit MY last apprenticeship for the opposite reason, my boss didnít care about art, traced and reused other artist work and didnít see the value in Custom design. Now my new apprenticeship is the opposite 😅 I wanted more critique and direction with my art, itís like now Iím getting it Iím not sure how to handle it! My boss is also straight traditional and Japanese traditional. I love both these styles but I want to go a more neotraditional route myself eventually. I guess Iím just worried that heís not going to let me because itís not something he personally likes. Thatís mainly why I posted here, I thought perhaps all apprenticeships were like that and you can go your own route style wise once youíre established?
Cairoalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:33 PM   #8
Rambler
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 57
Default

I had the same thing when I was an apprentice, my mentor was a phenomenal artist but he didnít get the style of stuff I liked at all at the time. Now Iím teaching an apprentice and I donít get the stuff she likes either. I would suggest to take his advice, being an apprentice isnít about settling into a groove that you find comfortable, itís about learning fundamentals in a safe controlled environment and being guided by people who do it every day. Plenty of time to prove him wrong later, but youíll probably find in a few years time you will incorporate a lot of the valuable stuff heís teaching you now into whatever your style ends up being.
And for what itís worth, I far prefer the new ones.
DanMolloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a certain style... AlexDenvor Tattoo Talk 1 27-12-2013 12:48 PM
New Style For Me - TRASH POLKA MaksTattoo Tattoo Talk 20 30-11-2013 05:15 PM
Tattoo style, need an answer.. Driving me crazy! Hayleighjay Tattoo Talk 7 26-11-2013 12:08 AM
Artist for traditional design in realistic style? gemmzylou Tattoo Talk 10 30-04-2010 10:05 AM
tim burton style work ?? Rimmer Chit Chat 28 05-10-2004 07:20 PM


SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.