Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-06-2007, 01:10 AM   #1
Jedi Chat Master

Default Shocked at Frith Street Tattoo, London

Apologies if this is wildly off from what artists and others see as acceptable tattooing practice, but i received a shock today in soho.
I understand that studio space is highly expensive and more so in the heart of london than other places, but i was tattooed not 200 yards from frith st and it wasnt like this.
i could quite easily have reached over the counter and touched either of the tattoo artists who were both working on clients within 4 feet of each other! There appeared to be another room in the back of the shop where i imagine the other artists were working, but to see two artists in such close proximity to each other and the general public really surprised me. is this not against hygiene rules? is this safe practice for the tattooees and the public coming in to see the receptionist? there were at least 10 people around the same area where the ink was going into skin. even at the london conventions people weren't tattooing that close to each other.
opinions?
hologram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 08:46 AM   #2
Live Action Auteur

Into You is a similar set up, with 6 work stations in one room.

I personally do not enjoy getting tattooed at Frith St. Simply because anyone wandering in with an enquiry gets to watch and I am dead shy (no London Ink for me!)

It is a small shop and no mistake.

I've seen people far closer together at conventions though (not London, but places like Manchester have teeny booths) and they are much further away from a sink. Plus the number of passers by is much higher.

All the tattooers at Frith Street know and love tattooing and tattoo art and the tattoo world, I would never doubt their integrity and considering this fact I am incredibly certain that no hygiene is compromised.

Must be a pain in the ass when you get out of the wrong side of the bed though.
PaulaHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 08:58 AM   #3
Chat Slut

All the London studios I have been in have been pretty “cosy” to say the least, and from my memory Frith Street is pretty spacious compared to some other places in Soho and Camden, never really thought of it as a problem before though.

And I quite like people looking at me!

Turns me on
Old 27-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

each shop has a different emphasis and that is important to remember.. just like restaurant **************** will vary. follow your heart and trust your instincts. it is a sensible approach to question hygiene wherever you go and do not be afraid to ask hard questions about things that concern you..miami ink illustrates this point nicely if you look closely at the tv show. there are a range of serious hygiene issues whenever you get a tattoo. good tattoos are a vital part of the job but arguably not the only part.

'from the heart of death i strike at thee!'
deadlifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
Boom Swagger Boom

i don't think the artists working so close is a prob ....but any snot nosed joe public been close is a bit yuk ..

i ca't believe what you see in Miami ink ....alll the kids floating about ...and the bloody animals ...dogs n wot not ...and one girl had a lemur prancing about
Busty Cheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

I am having work done at frith street, and when I first went there I was a little nervous about being in public view whilst getting tattooed as I am an incredibly shy person. However, I don't see it as a problem now at all, infact I really enjoy going there as there is such a great vibe about about the place and everyone is very laid back and friendly so you soon forget where you are (also concentrating on how much it bloody hurts doesn't leave much room in the brain meats department for thinking of much else!)
Also because it is not on street level, you don't get the huge amount of people just walking in out of curiosity. Compared to other studios, it definitely does not feel too cramped in in my opinion, and I suppose if you were having somewhere more private tattooed they might have a screen or something?
Like Deadlifter said though, each shop has a different emphasis. Where I work we have a huge studio space and then a seperate waiting room out the front that you walk through to get to the actual studio/tattooing area.
Old 27-06-2007, 12:45 PM   #7
Live Action Auteur

Frith Street does have pull down blinds for a bit more privacy, if you want it.
PaulaHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #8
Banned

Send a message via MSN to rockabillyhun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBean
Frith Street does have pull down blinds for a bit more privacy, if you want it.

ooo er!
rockabillyhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to kolobus

and one girl had a lemur prancing about [/QUOTE]

wasnt that the bald headed tattooist???? hahaha
Old 27-06-2007, 09:00 PM   #10
Boom Swagger Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolobus

wasnt that the bald headed tattooist???? hahaha
hahaha.....

that reminded me too ..that in one episode nunez is slobbering all over the neck of some bimbo getting a star ....not very professional behaviour
Busty Cheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote