Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum

Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum (http://www.bigtattooplanet.com/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.bigtattooplanet.com/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   The annual post london tattoo convention reminiscence and analysis thread (http://www.bigtattooplanet.com/forums/chit-chat/13989-annual-post-london-tattoo-convention-reminiscence-analysis-thread)

DOP 28-09-2008 01:44 PM

The annual post london tattoo convention reminiscence and analysis thread

Well, I know the convention is still on - but seeing as it's over for me for one more year, I thought I'd start the thread ;)

It was a good convention all round. It felt a lot different from the past few years, most likely because of the new venue - but all in all, it still has to rank as one of the best conventions in the world.

Here's my take on it all

The Good
  • The new venue: so much more room to move around than Truman Breweries. Having the artists in the different rooms worked out quite nicely - as the big draws with the big crowds (Capobianco et al) didn't disrupt other, lesser known artists who people wanted to check out
  • The quality of the work: there really was some seriously jaw dropping work on display this year. Tattooing is miles ahead of what it was ten years or so ago. You can see that on people's skin as they walk around.
  • Multiple bars: it was good to have a choice of bars this time around, rather than all cramming into one hall. I ended up in the one with the ale most of the time - unsurprisingly
  • Monster pork torpedoes: I'm not sure what kind of monsters they got their monster pork from - but it was fucking good!
  • Seeing forummers: always a pleasure, and nice to meet a few I hadn't met before. See below though
  • Excellent merch: the selection this year really was good. There was some guff of course - but I could have happily spent a few hundred quid on t-shirts and niknaks while I was there. Can anyone remember the name of the stall that sold all the netsukes? I need to find their website
  • The weather: coupled with the awesome outside seating next to the ships, it made for a really nice weekend. I dunno if that was a bit of a hindrance though - more people seemed to be outside than in a lot of the time!
  • friendly atmosphere: well, for the most part. I think the extra space and the weather cheered people up. I ended up chatting to loads of randoms this year, which hasn't really happened so much in previous years.
  • Clean toilets!
  • Katrina's new hand piece: by Joe Capobianco. It's a peach.

The Bad
  • Crappy watered down lager and cider: thank god for the real ale
  • The venue: Yeah, I know it was a positive as well - but the atmosphere, although friendly, was a bit stale at points because of the layout. Maybe it's just me who thinks that - who knows.
  • Lack of forummers: it was good to see some familiar faces - but those who couldn't make it were missed :(
  • Amazing artists with free slots when I'm skint: Robert Hernandez had free slots all weekend - and I couldn't afford to get owt. In fact I saw a good few artists you would expect to be fully booked twiddling their thumbs. I'm definitely going to plan better for next year and take some cash on the off chance I can get some nice new ink
  • London transport: thanks for making it a nightmare for everyone to get there. Fuckers.

I did get a few photos which I'll post later on. In the meantime, thanks to Woody as always for throwing a great convention.

Chuck Norris 28-09-2008 01:48 PM

Sounds decent, wish we could have been there this year.

Who was scrapping last night then?

DOP 28-09-2008 02:35 PM

No scrapping as such, and it's not really for me to say. I probably shouldn't have actually said anything - knowing my luck it'll probably just exacerbate matters. I'm just being my usual, hippy "violence doesn't solve anything" self.

DOP 28-09-2008 02:45 PM

On another note: Genko - wow. The robot sleeve one lad had started yesterday was amazing.

cab 28-09-2008 03:25 PM

You cant just tell half a story, or was it just a bit of handbags at 12 paces kind of stuff?

squidgystar 28-09-2008 03:53 PM

thats pants, that's like saying "not only could you not go to the best convention of the year but I've also got some reeeeeeeally juicy gossip that you can't know!"

typical :(

I now care more about the gossip I dont know than the stupid convention :rolleyes:

brother10 28-09-2008 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOP (Post 528293)
No scrapping as such, and it's not really for me to say. I probably shouldn't have actually said anything - knowing my luck it'll probably just exacerbate matters. I'm just being my usual, hippy "violence doesn't solve anything" self.

yeap i agree DOP, completely unnecessary, however that's all i'm gonna say on the matter as it's internet chit chat like this that's escalated the issue in the first place. it's upto the people involved to sort it out in private i would suggest?

but onto more positive things...

thought the convention was first rate, really really good. the new venue was simply stunning.
Woody i think you've raised the bar. again.

DOP, agree with all of your Good Points - except the toilets!
and most definately agree with your negative about bloody London transport!!! :mad: although that was soon forgotten once we got inside.

and just to echo your sentiments, it was lovely to meet some of you guys, Rob, Ink Minx, Neatbeard (he really does have a neat beard!) JR and Miss Charlie, Brooksy and Mrs C, Zoller Hellcat, and a brief chat with Zoe and Katriona - your hand is gorgeous. oh and Monkey Chick and Brim too :D it was really good to meet you all finally.
sorry DOP we obviously missed you somewhere?!

ps. Rob don't forget to post pics of your new bit of 'shit' ;)

DOP 28-09-2008 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brother10 (Post 528307)
yeap i agree DOP, completely unnecessary, however that's all i'm gonna say on the matter as it's internet chit chat like this that's escalated the issue in the first place. it's upto the people involved to sort it out in private i would suggest?

You're quite right. I've erased my original comment - although it probably looks like I was gossiping which is a fair bit worse!

Quote:

Originally Posted by brother10 (Post 528307)
sorry DOP we obviously missed you somewhere?!

I was in the same bar as the aforementioned crowd at the end of the night; although the round table was a bit cramped so we were sitting at the long tables opposite. I was the one with the peg leg and the eye patch.

Edit: through a process of Sherlock Holmes-esque internet stalking, I just saw your picture on Metal Princess's profile. Now I know who you guys were :)

len 28-09-2008 05:17 PM

London

Was there for a few hours on saturday and i have to say i was a little dissapointed with the convention that i saw. It just didn't have the same buzz as in previous years, can't put my finger on it. I didn't like the artists being seperated into their various rooms, it just didn't make for that convention atmosphere in my view.
On a positive note the standard of work on show was incredibly high and there were many artists who seemed to sitting there with no customers to work on, credit crunch taking a bite maybe, so you could have got lucky with a bit of spare change and a free slot!!!
Met Sam, which was nice, but didn't see any other forum peeps.
So, overall, pretty good but the atmosphere was not there like last year :confused:.

J_R 28-09-2008 05:54 PM

What an amazing day out :D

Am too exhausted and pissed to say anything of worth tonight, so will give my good & bads tomorrow :)