Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-04-2015, 07:14 PM   #1
Chat Slut

Default Blog about being an ex footballer and Depression.

This is my blog about my experiences with depression. I would appreciate feedback good or bad. Thanks.

https://howfootballruinedmylife.word...sional-player/
Old 13-04-2015, 10:59 PM   #2
Jedi Chat Master

I can't relate personally to the football aspect but I gather a lot of players go through similar feelings and it's cool that your blog can give other people in a similar position some guidance. I hope it does reach the people having the type of experience you've had.

I'm all for open discussion when it comes to depression but as you mention on there it's the type of thing that's hard to share, particularly with friends and family who've never had any experience of it. Has it been hard to write the blog?

You might be able to get a shout out for it through Time to Change on Twitter, they share blogs quite often I think!
Old 13-04-2015, 11:00 PM   #3
Chatter Box

It takes balls to write about depression like that, not many people are that open about it.
firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

Really interesting reading and fair play for stepping forward and being open about your depression! Takes some balls! As mentioned in one of your articles, Football is in very much a 'macho' mindset and it can be difficult for players to come forward and deal with their problems. It's something I've spoken to my cousin about previously (he currently plays in the Championship).

I'd be interested in hearing if you tried speaking to the PFA at the time and what their response was? I know since the Gary Speed and Clarke Carlisle instances they have setup helplines and are trying to offer support. But it would be interesting to know their stance before those incidents happened and whether they took mental health issues as seriously as they are taking them now.
Old 14-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #5
We Are Not Worthy

Hey dude,
Real brave of you to put that out there and it seems like there are a lot of instances that even when thrown in the public eye, garnish no attention to the real problem. Ie someone like gazza, always in the papers, but no one wants to explore the root of the issues.

I personally think it has something to do with the amount of worship and attention footballers receive. It can give them a god complex and fame does not attract real friends. Also the amount of money so quickly earn't at such a young age.
I dont know any footballers so all this is just speculation.
Either way well done for finding the root, admitting and facing your depression
bigto88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #6
Chat Slut

Thanks for the feedback and for taking the time to read my thoughts, I will respond to the questions a bit later.
Old 15-04-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

Real brave of you to talk so honest and frank about your experiences especially coming from a professional football background where there does seem to still be a stigma associated with mental health issues.
Best of luck to you dude and keep up the blog it's a good interesting read and I'm sure writing down & putting into words how your feeling & your experiences is a great help and release for you.
Old 17-04-2015, 07:48 AM   #8
Chat Virgin

Nice blog and it's a good way to vent out your frustration. Sometimes your favorite game can do this to you. It's very disappointing and sad. Glad you came out and decided to tell your stories. I really hope, it will help you get rid of your depression.
maryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 05:28 PM   #9
Chat Slut

I am currently in a pretty horrific down period. Here are my thoughts poured out in the blog.

My new blog post detailing how I am currently feeling. Feedback appreciated.

https://howfootballruinedmylife.word...a-down-period/
Old 20-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #10
Chat Virgin

Great post, keep on venting out your frustration and I think It will help you more than counselling and anti-depressants. Try to be positive and believe in yourself. You should know that this time will pass and good happy days will surely come. So try to avoid getting into the circle of depression thinking about your depression again and again. Try to hang out with friends and family members who understand your problem, it also really helps. Talk to them about how you feel and think about positive things in life. Three things really helped me more than any anti-depressant or counseling. These things were Yoga,deep breathing and meditation. Try to give some time to these exercises . In the beginning only 15 to 30 minutes are enough. You can find many helpful videos on youtube for beginners. Hopefully you 'll soon be out of this phase.
maryann is offline   Reply With Quote