Old 03-10-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default Tattoo pricing - Do you agree?

Hi guys, so it seems this is always a loaded subject but im interested in other peoples views on this.

What do you guys this is a fair price to pay for a tattooist?

Do you think it is acceptable for people to charge £1000+ a day?

Is notoriety going to some artists heads making them charge more?

Is the over chargin killing the business for true collectors of art?

Ok let me also explain why I ask these questions. I love tattoo's and like a lot of artists work, now im not a tight person and dont mind spending what is a 'going rate' but i find it hard to justify the £1000+ a day some artists charge. I myself have set limits for what I will spend a day on a artist because if I dont I will never get my collection finished. There are artists I would love to get tattooed by but the price they charge puts them beyond my reach. If someone charges £1000 a day and I need 2 day sitting to finish a piece I would have to save for a couple of years for that or more. I, like everybody else have bills to pay, wages around the area I live arent high but I like the work I do and it covers what I need. I mean I speak to artists and they say they tattoo because they love it, but im not sure how that transpires to earning £20000 a month and limiting your audience.

It is a annoyance for me as id really like to say sod it ill pay what ever people want and get work from the artists ive been wanting to.

Now a lot of people would get their back up here and be saying things like 'You pay for what you get' 'They are artists' 'Dont have them if you cant afford' But I dont see how this relates. I work hard and save to have each tattoo, I am limited to artists I can use as only some I know think charging the higher rates is not the way forward and they charge a reasonable rate for a days work that covers their own bills and lifestyle. They keep it reasonable so they can tattoo what they love and keep customers happy. The higher priced artists I donty see doing extra work for the money, majority of the time they only cover the same area. Yes their own pieces can be impressive, and their own styles are what I really like about a lot of them but again can I justfy the extra spend? Should I stop getting tattoos because i dont earn enough to afford the artists I want?

I mean artists must realise they are expensive when some of the more prestigious studios offer finance for tattoo's now.

I havent written this to start a arguement, I am genuinly interested in views on this.
simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:32 PM   #2
Rambler

I personally feel as if there are a couple factors going into the price, as location, experience (yes, some are letting fame get to them but it also helps them focus on who is there for the art some artist change the rate once they're aware that you're serious about the art.) but to be honest the higher price tag also stems to keep their focus group.. they may only want a certain clientele coming to there shop OR want to only do what they feel is worth there time and as it is in this day and age if you realllyy want the artist style/work done you'll respect their rules..

i could just be talkin out my tailpipe but.. its just an opinion of mine.
unknownmindset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #3
Jedi Chat Master

I think the industry is blowing up right now and artists are charging what clients are willing to pay. It's simply capitalism at work, you can't fight it.

With that being said you can definitely avoid some of the blatant price gougers and there are clearly talented artists that aren't yet in the spotlight who can be had for considerably less than what the top people are charging, best bet is to keep coming on here and scouring Instagram to find some diamonds in the rough that you can snag at a great rate. The problem with coming on here though is you see something you want, get fixated on it, then don't want anything else and end up making poor (maybe great?) life choices to get it...

It's only money and tattoos last forever
Jayman1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:06 PM   #4
Chat Slut

My personal opinion is that they can charge what they want, and it's up to you/i as a customer to choose wether we want to pay it. Tattoo's are a complete unnecessary luxury, it's not like they're hiking the price up on food, water or life saving drugs which would be ethically wrong, it's a tattoo. As Jayman said, it's just good old capitalism.

If I was earning £500/day tattoo'ing art I loved on cool clients day in day out, it paid all my bills and afforded me a comfortable lifestyle, would I bump my price up to £1,000/day just because my customers would pay it? No, I wouldn't. I'd go £1,250/day, take an extra day off every week, and enjoy an extra £130k every year. Sorry if you can't afford my super expensive tattoo's, but I'm too busy with my boats and hoes to care
jackf91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:00 AM   #5
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackf91 View Post
My personal opinion is that they can charge what they want, and it's up to you/i as a customer to choose wether we want to pay it. Tattoo's are a complete unnecessary luxury, it's not like they're hiking the price up on food, water or life saving drugs which would be ethically wrong, it's a tattoo. As Jayman said, it's just good old capitalism.

If I was earning £500/day tattoo'ing art I loved on cool clients day in day out, it paid all my bills and afforded me a comfortable lifestyle, would I bump my price up to £1,000/day just because my customers would pay it? No, I wouldn't. I'd go £1,250/day, take an extra day off every week, and enjoy an extra £130k every year. Sorry if you can't afford my super expensive tattoo's, but I'm too busy with my boats and hoes to care
MarcioAlves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:30 PM   #6
Chat Slut

What do you guys this is a fair price to pay for a tattooist?
Depends on how good they are, and if the name is important to you, that does factor into the price also

Do you think it is acceptable for people to charge £1000+ a day?
Yes

Is notoriety going to some artists heads making them charge more?
'going to their heads' meaning becoming successful and knowing their worth?

Is the over chargin killing the business for true collectors of art?
it might make people who can't afford it annoyed but that's hardly 'killing the business'

people are free to set their own rates and people are also free to choose whichever artists suits them, in terms of availability, taste, style, location and budget.
TeddyDalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 10:55 PM   #7
Chatter Box

I just paid more than I expected for a full day, but I had no idea what current prices were. It wasn't £1000+ though.

I could have got cheaper but I'm more than happy with my finished tattoo and I'm booked in again.

I figured I'd get the tattoo I really wanted, rather than save a couple of hundred pounds and have one that was ok. It's not like they wash off.
Kev.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 10:51 PM   #8
Mumbler

It's capitalism at its finest. My first tattoo by Jak was more than a £1000, but that was also driven by travel costs, as it was done in BE. This was done 2-3 years ago, so I imagine his rate has probably doubled in the meantime.

I got one from Edgar Ivanov last year and he's a very talented guy who doesn't overcharge you. To be honest, I think he could be charging a lot more these days, as he is becoming more and more popular.

I would love to get tattoo's by people like Carlos Torres, Carl Grace, Yomico or their peers, but I know it's just never going to happen. I was looking into getting one from James Matthews, whose style I absolutely adore. I think he charges about £100/hr? I read that somewhere, I think it was on his website. So if you want to do a sleeve, it'll cost you about £4-5000, which is just too much for me. Before I dropped Jak an email, I sent an enquiry to Potter. I got an email back which stated that he charged 300 EUR/hr .

If they want to charge that much and there are idiots out there who are willing to pay that insane amount, good for them I guess. There will always be lesser known, talented people out there who don't charge you an arm and a leg and are able to come up with a fantastic design. It's a shame that those rock stars are out of reach, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

edit>
You are probably talking about NR Studios, who offer financing? I think that's ridiculous, if I'm truthful.

Last edited by Bjorn121; 30-11-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Bjorn121 is offline   Reply With Quote