Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2017, 07:20 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Question Should my partner agree with my tattoo choice?

Hey,
I'm having a bit of a dilemma.. I've been working on ideas for a tattoo to commemorate my husband and my relationship for a really long time and about a year ago I thought of what I think is the perfect design: a badger and a snake! I am a huge Harry Potter fan, and my husband and I identify with Slytherin and Hufflepuff, so I love the idea of those two animals together in one tattoo. I had an artist friend of mine make a sketch and I loved it even more.

The catch: my husband REALLY doesn't seem to like the idea of a tattoo of a badger and a snake together… normally I'd think "my body my choice ", but this tattoo is for him as well as for me… but every time I look at, or even think of my friend's sketch I fall more in love with the idea of having it on my body…

What should I do?
Hufflepuff90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:54 AM   #2
Jedi Chat Master

So he's ok with you getting a tattoo, but he wants a say in the design? It's not like you're wanting some hyper realistic horror piece...your idea sounds great and totally reasonable, very classic in nature, a timeless piece you could say. Neo trad style would suit that wonderfully.

Tough dilemma with trying to appease the spouse. I know my wife came round to the idea of a full sleeve eventually as she could see that it was what I really wanted, and if you go to a great artist I highly doubt either of you would have regret. Maybe show him some examples of top quality tattoos in the style you want and it might win him over, that's what I did and it worked for me

I see someone like Toni Donaire knocking this out of the park, show your husband his Instagram page and see what he thinks then.

https://www.instagram.com/tdonaire/?hl=en

ps. someone here got a badger/skull/ rose tattoo and it looks great:

New tattoo - Manu Cruz
Jayman1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
Chat Virgin

That's just the thing, he doesn't have anything against a specific style or location, he just thinks badgers and snakes don't go together… since the species are more likely to eat eachother than love eachother.. But that's part of what I like about it. Together against all odds… I've been talking about it for a year now and he still doesn't like it :/
Hufflepuff90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

Honey Badgers evolved to become resistant to snake venom, showing how long their evolutionary histories have been entwined. That's a pretty cool relationship and to me makes sense to have them together in a tattoo. But man, if you have to break it down to that level to convince your husband, good luck with that!

Just get it because it would be a great looking tattoo! The side story and personal meaning are just added bonuses.
Jayman1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 04:59 AM   #5
Need To Get Out More!

This is obviously only my opinion but as you asked! ��
If this particular tattoo is to commemorate you and your husband and your relationship, if it were me I would want something that he loved just as much. It's not a great tribute to you both if he hates it and what it represents to him isn't what you intended. However, if you love the Harry Potter, Hufflepuff and Slytherin, Badger and Snake design, there's no reason why you couldn't get that tattoo that you love just because you love it and get something entirely different that your husband loves and appreciates as much as your tribute?
I got a traditional swallow on each of my hips bones as tribute to my husband. One with a dark head (boy) and one with a light head (girl) because swallows are monogamous and no matter how far they travel they always return home.
Sadly my husband turned out to be an abusive psychopath so our marriage ended 6 years ago! But the swallows still represent me as a monogamous and loyal person so I still love them all the same!
I guess I just think that if you're getting something that represents you both it should be something you both adore and just get the badger and snake design anyway but not related to your relationship?

Follow on instagram @kate0710
Kate0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 09:36 AM   #6
Rambler

Talking

my suggestion to reach aggreement with him,since it is the tribute for your relationship.if he don't like indeed.you can creat one which you both like. however, i think the idea of a badger and a snake is wonderful.

https://foronetattoo.blogspot.com/

Last edited by tmart; 16-03-2018 at 08:33 AM.
tmart is offline   Reply With Quote