Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2006, 03:17 PM   #1
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to natstats
Default Jacky Ringo Tattoo's 1970's

Just wondered if any of you guys know of a Jacky Ringo(sp?) Was a tattooist in the 70's in Woolich.

Reason I ask is coz my dad was telling me a story about this guy who did his first tattoo when he was 16, it's a cool old school swallow .....just wondered what happened to him....and if his work was well known???
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBean
I kinda don't trust people that don't have a little bit of shit on them somewhere....
natstats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
Banned

Thumbs up Ringo

Name from the past there.
As far as I remember, he was the guy who tattoo'd the character "Danny Van Dime" (spelling)and had the deal to have his skin preserved when he died.
I seem to remember a competition in the News of the World or some such rag which offered a fairly large sum if anyone could place an old sixpence (size of a 5p piece) on a bare bit of skin without touching a tattoo ANYWHERE on Danny's body! No winners as I recall.
Not sure what happened to Ringo, but he was a well-known name from the 60's ... whilst I was just a bairn at the time! Bwahahaha!
AlanMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
Boom Swagger Boom

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanMoon
As far as I remember, he was the guy who tattoo'd the character "Danny Van Dime" (spelling)and had the deal to have his skin preserved when he died.
I seem to remember a competition in the News of the World or some such rag which offered a fairly large sum if anyone could place an old sixpence (size of a 5p piece) on a bare bit of skin without touching a tattoo ANYWHERE on Danny's body! No winners as I recall.
Not sure what happened to Ringo, but he was a well-known name from the 60's ... whilst I was just a bairn at the time! Bwahahaha!

wonder if any one thought of putting the sixpence on its side rather than flat ???
Busty Cheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

Default Jack Ringo.

There was a article in International Tattoo art magazine(im sure it was that
publication) about 3yrs ago that featured jack ringo(might have been skin&ink though)i have the issue somewhere!.It was all about old london artists and also featured a guy called..Frost ,who made rotarys.
elbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
Jedi Chat Master

Yes used to personally know Jack Ringo, he done my first tattoo as well when i was about 14-15.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:43 PM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanMoon
He retired a few years ago after his wife died and left for sweden/ switzerland the last we heard of him. Funny guy used to love watching John Wayne cowboy films whilst tattooing away.
I had alot of respect for him in the fact that he had such a long running buisness in a hard area and as old as he was people still would give him a wide birth.
I also respected the fact that he was a fountain of knowlage about machines and construction of them, he used to hand build alot of equipment and the tattooists i was asking questions too would tell me to go ask him they couldnt answer them.

The bottom line is he was very old school in is work practices and wasnt changing for anyone, i know a few people who claim to be his friend but personaly i always got the impression he didnt want people to get that close he would greet you on a professional basis if you get what i mean? He was an enigma in many ways like that.
Lastly i have had to love the old bastard for the amount of money i have made covering up a large amount of his work that was done on guys who were 16 and didnt know any better!

Last edited by JamieE; 09-04-2006 at 08:08 PM.
JamieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:46 PM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to natstats

Thanks peeps.....my dad remembers him being pretty cool

I guessed that Alan 'the knowledge' Moon might have heard of him!! walking talking fountain!! The competition sounds fun....but did this guy Danny really want people coming up to pressing coins against his skin and shoving them where the sun didn't shine?!! and what happened to his skin...is he still with us?

Elbo - that article sounds interesting - maybe if you come accross it one day you could scan it in for us to have a look at, if you could I would appreiciate it??!

My ol'man also remembers being tattooed in the back of some butchers shop at one time by some guy....I have forgotten his name now though!!! - bet he wasn't health authority approved!! lol....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBean
I kinda don't trust people that don't have a little bit of shit on them somewhere....

Last edited by natstats; 09-04-2006 at 08:55 PM.
natstats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:29 PM   #8
len
Jedi Chat Master

Default Fost

That might be Ian Frost (aka Frostie) who worked out of Croydon. Recieved my first tattoo from him many years ago.
len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:05 PM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by len
That might be Ian Frost (aka Frostie) who worked out of Croydon. Recieved my first tattoo from him many years ago.
Yeah it is.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:15 AM   #10
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbo
There was a article in International Tattoo art magazine(im sure it was that
publication) about 3yrs ago that featured jack ringo(might have been skin&ink though)i have the issue somewhere!.It was all about old london artists and also featured a guy called..Frost ,who made rotarys.
ian frost ,,i used to own 2 of his machines in the early ninties
Robbiebarra is offline   Reply With Quote