Old 29-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default need tat advice

hi everyone

this is my first post so i'm hoping you guys can help me out...

i've got quite a few tats, but i'm considering having someone try and work them althogether in to a sleeve. at the same time, my partner is also looking for a new tat in the way of a half sleeve. the thing is, i've had some good tats and some terrible ones in the past, and we really want to make sure these are good ones. especially my partner, she's looking for something very detailed and gothicy

so the question is, can anyone recommend a quality artist in the sheffield area? i've read good things about nigel kurt, but unfortunately we can't make it to his studio within the opening times as it's about 30 minutes away and we both work full time

can anyone help suggest some quality studios around rotherham/sheffield/doncaster, etc?

thanks
rotherdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
Banned

Take some time off if you need to, that's what everyone else has to do if you can't get a Saturday appointment. 30 minutes away is nothing, some people go to entirely different continents for tattoos.
Chuck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
Chat Virgin

ok, forget the time thing. i only put that in so people didn't recommend somewhere in scotland when i live in yorkshire

so... who's got a good rep around sheffield?
nigel kurt
feline
thou art

i also heard something good about a guy called ash from devils bitch in rotherham???
Old 29-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
Banned

Thou Art has some great guest artists from time to time, but I’m not familiar with who works there all the time. The shop has a good rep though.

Nigel Kirt is great at black and grey stuff (particularly wildlife realism, IMO) and would be well worth a visit if you like his stuff.

Feline has a good rep, though I must say Fiona Long herself’s stuff looks really dated these days. There is (or at least was) a chap called Guy working there who is really good.

What about Derby, is that too far? You could do a lot worse than taking a look at Gerry Carnelly at Octopus. Great artist for colour work.

Also in Leeds you have Steve Byrne, Diego and the guys at Ultimate Skin. All great artists.

You have loads of great artists within an hour's drive from you, but the whole thing depends entirely on what style you’re looking for.
Old 29-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
Chat Virgin

thanks for the info

we're probably both going to opt for a horror kind of scene. my girlfriend's looking for something with a castle, dark skies, the moon, graves, etc... that kind of thing. worked in to a half sleeve round the top of her arm

i'm looking for something similar to be honest, but the artist will have to freehand around my other tats
Old 29-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
Banned

In that case, Nigel probably is your best bet. He' done a cool haunted house piece that springs to mind, which sounds like it'd be right up your street.

I've not met Nigel but I've spoken to him on here a lot and he always comes across as a nice bloke. Why don't you send him a PM (he's Funhouse on here) and see if you can work out a time to go and speak to him about your ideas?
Old 29-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
Queen of F***ing Everything

Send a message via MSN to MonkeyChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotherdrummer View Post
ok, forget the time thing. i only put that in so people didn't recommend somewhere in scotland when i live in yorkshire
But if you forget the time thing, as you said yourself, then recommendations in scotland are worthwhile.

Muffins are for people too scared to order cake for breakfast

It's OK to have fun
MonkeyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #8
Banned

Send a message via MSN to BOOTNECK

I've got a few pieces by Nigel and my ex wife is halfway through a backpiece with him,we used to travel up from Poole so being down the road shouldn't be a grind. He's a thoroughly nice bloke and always comes up with some nice ideas and needless to say great ink. Well Reccomended.
BOOTNECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

Red face

I'd just like to add abour the time thing, not just for you but for anyone else who might be reading and in the same situation.

If you find a good artist they will have a waiting list and to have any reasonable chance of getting in with them regularly, you'll have to be willing to fit with their working hours, which will probably mean taking time off.

Everyone wants Friday afternoons and Saturdays, but that will only accomodate a handful of customers and a good tattooist could have upwards of 30 customers on the books at any one time.

I often get people looking all disappointed when I can't get them in "next Saturday" - like they don't understand that the people who have beaten them to it booked weeks ago.

I also get people coming in for cover-ups and when I ask why they went to to local crappy places, they say "well we wanted to come here but you have to book!" Durrr!!!

So if you want better quality, it needs a little more project planning and effort. Hope this helps
WendyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #10
Jedi Chat Master

This is such a hard question to answer ........... what do you want & why only in the Sheffield area?
It would make it easier if you said how you want to tie things together - and truthfully I personally would travel to Scotland for the right artist.
http://www.trikeshop.co.uk/
Granny Gray is offline   Reply With Quote