Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default Newbie aftercare help: Bepanthen?

Hi all,

I had my first proper tattoo started on Tuesday. I had 2 1/2 hours work done on my lower leg, which went really well (apart from the agony part that is!). I was surprised how comfortable it felt as soon as the work stopped.

Today though my leg has started to really really itch. Luckily I am used to this as I have eczema, so I am used to not itching anywhere even though I really want to. So I have so far managed to not touch the tattoo at all.

I'm pretty sure the irritation isn't related to the tattoo, but more to do with me having to have my leg shaved, as the itchiest areas are outside of the tattoo lines and in the gaps in the middle. And with my trousers rubbing against that area it has made it very itchy indeed.

It was recommended that I use Tattoo Goo 3 or 4 times a day, which I have done religiously. But on the way home today I bought a tube of Bepanthen. Should I swap to using this until the shaving rash/irritation has passed?
The actual tattoo area is fine and has hardly scabbed at all.

Although this is my second tattoo, my first was done over 12 years ago and is very small, and I didn't really have to look after it much like this one.

Help, before I give up and gouge my leg open. Should I swap to bepanthen? It's not going to alter the ink in any way is it?
Zenwisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
Chatter Box

Bepathen won't stop your tattoo itching buddy! The itching is like you said either down to the hair growing back or the tattoo healing (might be a little early for that though).

Bep is very good for healing tattoo's but from what I've heard tattoo is just as good as well and If your tattoo artist has advised to use tattoo goo I would go with there advice.

There are loads of threads on here about bepathen and other ways of helping a tattoo heal, use the search button to find the other extensive threads
andy_lee007uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to TommiR8

I found bep the best.

Having tried

Savlon and Sudacream

Bep seemed to cool the skin, with no grease, its also very economical to use.

With bep i also found during healing, it just was like little flakes comming off rather than using Sudacream where the healing came off in chunks.

Bep also seemd to stop the irritation, although i am not that hairy, i had to have my chest shaved for a tattoo, the hair growing back through the tattoo while using bep dident seem to be as itchy.

If you are using bep fresh after a heavy session and you have an irritation i suggest you may be having a reaction to the Bep, or some ingredients in it. Maybe try using a coconut based cream which is more natural than bep.

Other than that, as the previous post said use GOO as suggested.

If the problem of itchy skin still persists i would take a trip to your gp, as some inks and skin dont mix well.
Old 23-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
Chat Virgin

Thanks for the replies. Since I've been home I've rolled my trouser leg up, put some more tattoo goo on, and the itching has pretty much gone.
It has to be just from my trousers rubbing against where the hair is growing back. Seriously annoying.
How do women cope with this all the time? haha

I'm going to stick with the goo for now, and perhaps I'll just have to live in shorts for the rest of my life!
Old 23-10-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to TommiR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenwisdom View Post
Thanks for the replies. Since I've been home I've rolled my trouser leg up, put some more tattoo goo on, and the itching has pretty much gone.
It has to be just from my trousers rubbing against where the hair is growing back. Seriously annoying.
How do women cope with this all the time? haha

I'm going to stick with the goo for now, and perhaps I'll just have to live in shorts for the rest of my life!
I was advised not to be over keen with GOO or Bep.

I guess it was because it would sofen the area too much.

And also i was advised to work it in well but gently.
Old 27-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Chat Virgin

So finally after 4 days of seriously annoying crazy itchyness, today my tattoo has settled down and stopped itching.
I think I did really well not to completely spoil it by scratching.

I have to go back in two and a half weeks to finish it off, so I assume I'll have to be shaved again.
The itchyness was 10 times worse than the pain during the actual tattooing.
There must be some magic anti shaving rash cream
Old 27-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

Why not shave your leg yourself, prior to your next sitting? Most artists won't have shaving gel, etc., to do the job with, so that may lead to more irritation afterwards if you have sensitive skin.

I've typed this, but have no comparison to your experience, as I'm decidedly unhairy (non-hairy even) so the razor never needed to be used on most areas of me prior to tattooing (luckily).

Actually I've just read the OP properly, maybe your eczema flared up as a result of the tattoo? And perhaps wear more loose-fitting trousers (like the type HC Hammer used to wear) after your next sitting.
Old 27-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to squidgystar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenwisdom View Post
So finally after 4 days of seriously annoying crazy itchyness, today my tattoo has settled down and stopped itching.
I think I did really well not to completely spoil it by scratching.

I have to go back in two and a half weeks to finish it off, so I assume I'll have to be shaved again.
The itchyness was 10 times worse than the pain during the actual tattooing.
There must be some magic anti shaving rash cream
yey... well done for not scratching!

I dont think theirs a great deal you can do about the itching... seans advice may help but mine have always itched like a bastard during healing and I've never needed to be shaved!
If we just took one second and used it to be inspired or to put our self in those people shoes and learn from them rather than trying to compete I Know we would start to understand how beautiful learning is… For we can learn from even the simplest of men. For the true test of self confidence is having the courage to acknowledge, and to be open to new ideas regardless of their source.

www.squidgyart.com
squidgystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 11:44 PM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

By far the worst thing for me when healing the lower leg (calf) was having to walk around on it for a couple of days. Only on solid colour stuff though, obviously because of the heavy coverage there. B+G was virtually nothing. And even at the worst I usually could put my feet up and have a beer.
Old 29-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #10
Rambler

A few of my customers have reactions to goo.....I think for some the essential oils are too strong for them....the tattoo was fine but the surrounding areas seemed pimply..itchy and red.......personally I like Bep...palmers coco butter and at the moment I'm trying the new inked aftercare....( white bottle with buddha head)...I'm booked in with Joe Cappobianco in november ...so will try it then and let you know how it goes....
fongy is offline   Reply With Quote