Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
Chatter Box

Default Has knuckle ink held you back?

It's easy when you're looking at Tattoo magazines to think that knuckle tattoos are everywhere and everyone has them, but they're still pretty rare. Even most tattoo artists I know don't have them.
Thing is, I really want them (I have a lot of ink already but can easily cover it all). I am not a tattoo artist or work in a studio, but I'm also not planning a law career or anything like that.
So, how much can it limit you? Be honest. I'm all for making a stand and that. I believe that the more ink in the public eye the more these issues will stop being issues. I didn't start getting ink for social reasons or to fit in, but I need to work. I have expensive tastes!!

Has having knuckle or hand ink stopped you from getting work or a position you are qualified for?
Old 28-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
Chatter Box

Really? A whole day and no response?
OK I get it. "stop being a pussy and get on with it siege"
sheesh!
Old 28-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
Mumbler

It has got quiet round here recently!

Unfortunately I think it is still a risk for alot of people. Would be great if it wasnt, but people are so judgemental.

Hopefully in X years things will improve???

I just dont get it- there are so many clever people in this world, so many types of people, society types, so many cultures, religions, beliefs, so much history, so many wars etc etc, yet things like tattoos can still be a problem for some.
burridge1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

Bloke I vaguely know runs a recruitment consultancy. For the kind of jobs where you wear a suit and tie he wont put anyone forward with any visible ink, doesn't matter how suitably qualified you are.
Brummy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Jedi Chat Master

I think it depends on what sort of line of work your in, if you work in an office environment, or anything that requires smart dress or iniform your going to hit problems and IMO its not worth it, can you imagine losing out on a great job because of a tattoo?

If however you working in something like the building trade, or other manual labour, factory etc jobs particularly if you dont do public facing jobs then yeah it shouldnt really be an issue.
http://www.myspace.com/livingcolourtattoostudio

www.livingcolourtattoostudio.com
Ink Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
Chat Slut

The police used to allow tattoos to be shown but just recently they have decided that they will no longer allow their officers to show any tattoos. It seems as we think we are going forward, we actually go back.

It's not worth it, you don't know where you'll be in 10 years time and you don't want to regret those tats that suited and fitted in your life at one time.

No face, hands, neck unless you don't care how you earn your money and spend your days.
salemskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
Queen of F***ing Everything

Send a message via MSN to MonkeyChick

I don't have my knuckles done yet by my hand tattoos have stopped me getting a few jobs.

Famously Frankie & benny's told me I couldn't be a bartender for them as my ink could frighten old people and kids.... Yep, many many old people and kids are scared of cakes

Muffins are for people too scared to order cake for breakfast

It's OK to have fun
MonkeyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
Chat Slut

i had the same big decision a couple of months back, and i can safely say that it hasn't affected my job in which i do have to wear a suit and tie. You do catch people glancing at them alot when meeting you for the first time, but most of my colleagues think my hand tatt is cool.

I think it all depends on the people you deal with, some are more judgemental than others or simply dont understand tattoos from an art perspective, and only see it as a rebellious, anti-social image

For me personally i forget that my hand ink is even on show most of the time, and treat it no different as say, having my shoulder tattooed. As for employment, as long as you can stand out for your personality and charm as much as you do for your visible tattoos, how can they refuse to employ you :-)
NEIL_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyChick View Post
Famously Frankie & benny's told me I couldn't be a bartender for them as my ink could frighten old people and kids.... Yep, many many old people and kids are scared of cakes
Frankie and Bennys sucks so maybe it was for the best :') I was a bartender there for over a year and hated it.
Old 30-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
We Are Not Worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege_aims View Post
It's easy when you're looking at Tattoo magazines to think that knuckle tattoos are everywhere and everyone has them, but they're still pretty rare. Even most tattoo artists I know don't have them.
Thing is, I really want them (I have a lot of ink already but can easily cover it all). I am not a tattoo artist or work in a studio, but I'm also not planning a law career or anything like that.
So, how much can it limit you? Be honest. I'm all for making a stand and that. I believe that the more ink in the public eye the more these issues will stop being issues. I didn't start getting ink for social reasons or to fit in, but I need to work. I have expensive tastes!!

Has having knuckle or hand ink stopped you from getting work or a position you are qualified for?
What's your career background, career prospects, education and field of interest / expertise? I have a PhD, lecture at a university and manage a small arts charity, and my hand an neck tattoos have, if anything, helped my career -- but I'd suggest you get the career first, and the public tattoos second.
volatile is offline   Reply With Quote