Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Rambler

Default A couple of questions... reference material and colours

Hi all

While I am waiting and being lasered and trying desperately to be patient for my panther tattoo to fade enough for a cover up I have been doing lots of research into what I would like for my new tattoo. I want to get it right this time

Anyhow, it's all very well looking at endless pics of tattoos (and very nice some of them are too) but I don't want to just have a "copy" or "version" of someone elses tattoo, I want something a bit more unique. Now I know it's pretty difficult to have something completely unique but I was wondering what art reference materials people would recommend for inspiration?

Also, I am planning on having a fairly colourful tattoo but are there any colours that don't take particularly well or tend to age badly? One of my ideas would involve using small amounts of white but I've read that white doesn't work too well in tattoos.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Chatter Box

Send a message via MSN to Mark Ford

Instead of looking for reference for a 'unique' tattoo, why not find a tattooer with a unique style instead?
Mark Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Mumbler

I'll substitute your 'tattooing' question for a 'painting' question.
I'm a painter. I want to paint a picture but I don't know what to look at. What do you painters look at before you paint a picture?
See what a pointless question you've asked?
Decide what type of design or tattoo you want and then look at various media (from paintings, photos, other tattoos,flash, anything - the net is VAST) in order to come up with suggestions and ideas which make it unique to your piece.
Stumpywalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Rambler

Good point Mark and it is certainly something I am considering. Have a few names in mind so far but I would like to have some creative input even though I'm not particularly arty. Must be the control freak in me

Hi Stumpy - I do have a few ideas already but I was just wondering if I was missing something.

Any answers on my colours question?
Old 13-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
Chat Slut

A completely unique idea is a one in a million possibility.
The good thing about art/tattooing is that a familiar concept can be pretty much explored endlessly by the artist. The most inane and "boring" subject matter can be made interesting and beautiful if the artist doing it is good.

With regards to your colour question...
It's best to use white sparingly or not at all and preferably in an area on the body which won't received much sunlight over the years. Sunlight tends to yellow/dirty up the white ink in the skin quite quicky.

Apart from that, having light colours in a tattoo isn't something you should worry about if they are contrasted by good amounts of dark colours/black.
It's not using too many light colours that causes tattoos to fall apart over the years, it's not using enough contrast and dark colours that causes it.

Hope that helps.
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Chat Virgin

I designed a tattoo for myself the other day, using 10 different tattoo pictures that I got from a search engine. I think you can make your own unique tattoo by incorporating aspects of other peoples tattoos into one x
kellymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
Chat Virgin

Send a message via MSN to Cherri Diamond

Hi Morph,

Do you have a subject in mind of what you'd like your tattoo to be? Remember that, as long as you've conceived the idea of the tattoo yourself it's always gonna be unique to you (if not entirely, in some way or another), you're hardly going to get flash!

As regards to ref - just think LOTS (I've found that with my tattoo that I'm planning simply thinking has led me to refine exactly what I would like again and again, to come up with an idea that is uniquely me and doesn't even need the script I was originally intending to put in). I hate to be Miss patron saint of the obvious but, what is it that YOU like? What colours do YOU like? With your ref what is it that you want to communicate to your tattooist about the final outcome?

Remember that with tattooing today, the sky's the limit!
Cherri Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
Queen of F***ing Everything

Send a message via MSN to MonkeyChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post

Anyhow, it's all very well looking at endless pics of tattoos (and very nice some of them are too) but I don't want to just have a "copy" or "version" of someone elses tattoo, I want something a bit more unique. Now I know it's pretty difficult to have something completely unique but I was wondering what art reference materials people would recommend for inspiration?
You CAN get totally unique tattoos still, you just have to think more.

Choose things you like and then take those ideas to your chosen artist so they can custom design a piece just for you.

I have an alligator with a bow in her hair eating cookies and I'm pretty sure that's unique... Well for now anyway as I know people will rip off just about anything that they find online these days. Just ask Tanane Whitfield and Cecil Porter.

Muffins are for people too scared to order cake for breakfast

It's OK to have fun
MonkeyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #9
Chat Slut

i love your alligator, but then again i love loads of your tattoos damn it lol but enough of the love in!

my advice, stop looking at tattoo photos or you will end up with a copy of another piece. Go spend some time in a library or book shop, look at art books,graphic design books, comics, graphic novels, photography books, magazines, kids books, greeting cards, anything visual basically, think outside the box

ill guarantee you if you take something of the first page of a google image search the tattooist will have pretty much seen it before,
Sharron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
Rambler

Thanks for all your advice. Paulie - I do appreciate you taking the time on such a detailed response. I think it seems to be getting the right artist to interpret your ideas that is key but I think I will try and avoid the white ink. I must say that some of your drawings are great.

Kelly and Cherri - thanks for giving me the confidence to expand upon my own ideas. Only problem is that I have so many ideas right now that I think I need to refine them down a bit.

MonkeyChick - your tattoo sounds pretty wild and definitely unique Just goes to show that the sky truly is the limit.

And Sharron, you make a very good point. It's all too easy to sit surfing through google images but you just see the same things coming up again and again which has definitely put me off.

So the answer is crystallise your ideas and then find the right artist. My problem is that I like to contribute to the local economy where I can but I'm not sure whether I can find the right artist locally

Let the search commence