Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum

Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum (http://www.bigtattooplanet.com/forums/)
-   Tattoo Talk (http://www.bigtattooplanet.com/forums/tattoo-talk/)
-   -   Artists: Tattoos for cancer? (http://www.bigtattooplanet.com/forums/tattoo-talk/19505-artists-tattoos-cancer)

FelineWolf 06-06-2011 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nood (Post 646202)
Great welcome to the forum, thanks. And I'll be sure to tell all those guys who cycle the length and breadth of the country to raise money for charity that they're scammers.

Seriously no comprehension of the concept at all, do you think I could magically transport to studios across the country? Don't you think I've considered it will cost me to do that? Here I am willing to spend whatever to raise a lot of money for a good cause.

WOW! JUST WOW! I know people are cynical but that is something else.

You're all really so friendly. Thanks for the great welcome.

I can't comment too much from the artist's point of view, because I'm not one I would think if you restrict them to an inch by inch square you might end up with a lot of skulls, stars, flowers and butterflies.

But as a member of the public and occasional funraiser myself I would think that you'd raise more money if you just took the money you'd spend getting yourself to and from the various studios and donate that directly.

Unless it happened to be a mate of mine who I knew to have a massive fear of needles or something, I wouldn't be willing to sponsor someone for a tattoo. In my experience people tend to sponsor others for doing things they themselves are unwilling/wouldn't want to do or take a lot of effort. Even when I was being sponsored to do a skydive, a fairly common fundraising stunt, a got the comment quite often of "Why would I give you money to do something I want to do?" which is kind of my attitude to this.

A nice idea but I just don't see it raising much money.

CookieHound 06-06-2011 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nood (Post 646202)
Great welcome to the forum, thanks. And I'll be sure to tell all those guys who cycle the length and breadth of the country to raise money for charity that they're scammers.

Seriously no comprehension of the concept at all, do you think I could magically transport to studios across the country? Don't you think I've considered it will cost me to do that? Here I am willing to spend whatever to raise a lot of money for a good cause.

WOW! JUST WOW! I know people are cynical but that is something else.

You're all really so friendly. Thanks for the great welcome.

Calmed down yet?

You've already had your first "I'm new" post when you asked about having your arm measured. Unless you want a welcome with every thread?

I understand the concept perfectly well. You like tattoos, and you're thinking you could get sponsored to get tattoos from 1500 artists. As anoteher poster has said - where is anything in that which makes me think "wow, theres some dedication"?

From your post - you've decided to stick to UK tattooists, so don't expect me to be impressed by your travelling...people on here travel to different countries to get tattooed by a particular artist - and then pay when they get there, as opposed to expecting the artist to do it for free.

Theres no actual work involved on your behalf - hell, even the tattoos themselves are that small that any particularly painful areas will be done so quick you won't notice. People who cycle the country endure plenty of training and physical hardship. People who run marathons train for 6 months beforehand. You just have to sit on a chair and keep still for about five minutes. You're not even having a "cancer related design" (eg the pink ribbon) done.

If you want to go ahead, you feel free. I'm aware it's for charity. But it still seems a pretty poor idea and I'm sure I won't be the only person who thinks it seems a bit iffy.

sean 06-06-2011 04:38 AM

Cancer charidee and all that aside, why the fuck would you want 1500 crappy little tattoos covering your body, which will vary wildly in content, when you could get a full bodysuit of stylistically complementing work?

But as you said in an earlier post, you don't actually have any tattoos yet. If that's the type of work you're thinking of wearing for the rest of your life, I'd recommend you consider staying ink-free.:beer::beer::beer:

Sharron 06-06-2011 12:36 PM

He seems to have left??? Im glad he thought I was capable of doing a small tattoo after all though :)

Sarah Von ZombE 06-06-2011 01:10 PM

this reminds me a little of 'The Enigma' except hes just got puzzle pieces, each worked on by a different artist.....although i dont think hes tried to disguise it as a fundraiser....

Tea 06-06-2011 03:06 PM

It might have been interesting for him/her to donate their body as a human canvas and have a number of people work on their body at the same time, a bit like the tattoo fusion experiment... you know, something that does require a lot of endurance, and maybe working towards a world record of tattoo coverage in x amount of hours.

Just seems like a crappy way to get free tattoos, after all, many tattoo studios seem to do charity days, you know where the client pays for the tattoo, but the artist gives all the money to charity...

FelineWolf 06-06-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tea (Post 646248)
Just seems like a crappy way to get free tattoos, after all, many tattoo studios seem to do charity days, you know where the client pays for the tattoo, but the artist gives all the money to charity...

Absolutely! I'd be way more willing to support that or say, an artist who said "every memorial tattoo I do I'll donate 20 to cancer research" or something along those lines. At the end of the day, it's the artist who is doing the work.

You support someone for effort, or stupidity, or both, like oh, I don't know, unicycling 6miles ;)

(sorry, shameless plug, but I still think it's a better fundraising idea than being sponsored for 1" square tattoos)

Tea 06-06-2011 04:44 PM

6 miles on a unicycle... that is incredible!! Good luck with it! x

keithski122 06-06-2011 09:32 PM

I could unicycle for 6 miles.

I would just fall off every 10 foot.:lol:

FelineWolf 07-06-2011 02:29 AM

Thanks :D It was a daft idea but somehow it stuck with me and now it seems to be happening. I have managed 3 miles before, but with a bit of walking now and then, for the 6 miles I'm determined to not walk any of it.