Old 31-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Mumbler

Default Aftercare / helpppppp

Just got a brand new tattoo its my first

after he bandaged it up in clingfilm and said i should take it off after 3 hours clean it and rebandage it and do this for 3 days and try and clean and rebdndage every 3 hours.

Ive read a bunch of stuff that says rebandaging is super bad?

Helppp i dont wanna screw up my tattoo
deadman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Mumbler

i always clean and then bepanthon my tattoo, i then re-cling film it..but only for about three days, after that keep it clean but discard the cling film..!!!
nige-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Mumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nige-s View Post
i always clean and then bepanthon my tattoo, i then re-cling film it..but only for about three days, after that keep it clean but discard the cling film..!!!
A lot of poeple have told me to not cling film it anymore i wore it for about a day. will anything happen if i just dont clin film it and continue to wash it and use the cream
Old 31-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
Chat Slut

In short no. The tattoo will heal just fine if you do nothing at all to it but putting a small amount of Bepanthen on it two or three times a day will help the healing process.
Just don't itch, pick, dig or scratch it. If the itching gets really bad, either put some cream on it or give it a quick slap.
magnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman22 View Post
Just got a brand new tattoo its my first

after he bandaged it up in clingfilm and said i should take it off after 3 hours clean it and rebandage it and do this for 3 days and try and clean and rebdndage every 3 hours.

Ive read a bunch of stuff that says rebandaging is super bad?

Helppp i dont wanna screw up my tattoo
This is your first tattoo. You will worry about it the whole time until it is completely healed.

However, the best advice is always to follow what your artist says. He's seen your skin, he's done your tattoo and if you trusted him enough to effectively scar you for life, why don't you trust his prescribed aftercare?

If you have any problems with the tattoo healing, your first port of call should be the studio, and the first question you'll be asked there is "How have you been taking care of it?" Coming up with "Well, I asked some randoms on the internet" is not the right answer!
CookieHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #6
Mumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieHound View Post

If you have any problems with the tattoo healing, your first port of call should be the studio, and the first question you'll be asked there is "How have you been taking care of it?" Coming up with "Well, I asked some randoms on the internet" is not the right answer!

This is fair enough, i was following what he said to the letter but i think anyone would be alarmed that when i googled it it had five billion people saying NO NO NO don't ever rebandage it will ruin it. I emailed him right away but i know he is on break sunday.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieHound View Post
This is your first tattoo. You will worry about it the whole time until it is completely healed.

However, the best advice is always to follow what your artist says. He's seen your skin, he's done your tattoo and if you trusted him enough to effectively scar you for life, why don't you trust his prescribed aftercare?

The cover/don't cover thing is a huge issue even among artists who work in the same studio. All I worry about is what I have been told by the artist who has tattooed me. If I follow their regime and have an issue, then I am on their case immediately so that they know that if I end up with a problem from their instructions, then it is their fault.

Miss Cookiehound has got it exactly right.
UncleAlbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Rambler

Reason why it's good to re cling film your tattoo is called wet healing. It stops the lymph fluid forming a scab, keeping the climfilm on till you stop lymphing works, then use bepanthen till the surface skin rubs off, then moisturise (I like Aveeno) as it'll stop the itch.

After washing, allow to air dry for 5 mins, to allow the lymph to start, then cling film.

I've had a full arm done using this method, especially works well on the inner forearm - getting my foot done on Saturday so will be extra vigilant to not get scabs.

Happy healing
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #9
Rambler

I'm with the people who say 'do what you're told', provided you went to a studio with a good reputation.

Having said that, I really don't think it matters all that much - tattoos are much more resilient than internet scaremongering would generally have you believe.

Keep it clean, don't pick scabs - it's your body that does the healing.
tb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
Rambler

All I did was keep it in cling film for 4 hours, take it off, wash, let it air dry for 20 mins then apply beupanthen sparingly when it gets dry..like keep it moist enough so it doesnt crack but dry enough to heal and not get an infection..keeping it moist is perfect for infections...mind you this is only my 1st one too....but its healing well this way (touch wood)
Becki is offline   Reply With Quote