Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default Is this "blowout" or spreading? - advice please

Hi there, I'm seeking advice and, if possible, some sort of identification of what is going on around my most recent tattoo.

When I got home after having the blue put into this design I noticed the colour had spread on my inner arm. I didn't get too worried at the time as the area was tender from the inking and presumably bruised. By the 3rd day, it had reached its present size and has not changed since. This took place at the beginning of Oct 2011.

Since theres two photos were taken in early Jan 2012, I had a yellow colour put into some of the leaves. There wasn't any new spreading or movement of colours from that visit.

My tattooist is concern, but had little information for me, saying he'd seen similar spreading only twice before (both times with blue ink) and that they began to fade 6months - 2years after it occurred. He himself says he's never had this happen with any of his tattoos before and he's been tattooing for a little over 20years.

Regarding aftercare, I rinsed it once a day, patted gently dry, applied cream 2-3times/day. Didn't undertake any strainuous activities, didn't handle it or have it handled at all, didn't lye on it, didn't restrict it, didn't have it wrapped up, nor was it exposed to heat or sunlight.

So my questions are:
- Have you seen anything like this before?
- Do you know what it is that's happened?
- Does it or is it known to fade or disappear?
- Is there anything I can do to reduce it?
- Is the type of ink a factor? The ink used was a water based ink made by Eternal Ink.

If there isn't anything I can do but wait, which is fine, do you think I could get a further tattoo to cover it? would that be wise?

If any of you have any info, I'd be please to hear it. Or if there is any further info I can give to help figure this one out, let me know. thanks!
Attached Images

pineapple_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
Chat Slut

I haven't seen a case as bad as this of the pigment migrating through the skin but it does happen. As long as the particles that have migrated are small enough to be taken away in the blood stream it will fade over time. Or you could try a small test area and see if running a clean needle over it will help. If all else fails then adding colour over the top shouldn't be a problem.
magnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
Jedi Chat Master

Is it just in your inner arm? I've seen this before but not often. The skin is a little thinner on the inner arm. The ink has seeped into the layer of subcutaneous fat just under the skin and that's what you can see. It might fade with time, it also may not. Not ideal but it's fixable so it could be worse.

Tattooing is art...so get it done by an artist!
Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
Chat Virgin

That's sad news. I feel better knowing a bit more about it though - to know what's happened physically. At least I can explain it when people notice and ask.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to look into trying that.

It is just on my inner arm. Luckily it stopped migratting before the bend in my elbow and the back of my arm.

Last edited by pineapple_89; 16-01-2012 at 07:23 AM.
pineapple_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
Queen of F***ing Everything

Send a message via MSN to MonkeyChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest View Post
Is it just in your inner arm? I've seen this before but not often. The skin is a little thinner on the inner arm. The ink has seeped into the layer of subcutaneous fat just under the skin and that's what you can see. It might fade with time, it also may not. Not ideal but it's fixable so it could be worse.
Is this due to application Priest?

Strange to see two like this in such a short space of time.

Muffins are for people too scared to order cake for breakfast

It's OK to have fun
MonkeyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyChick View Post
Is this due to application Priest?

Strange to see two like this in such a short space of time.
As far as i'm aware, yes. Although i've seen this from customers of capable artists. If the customer's skin is particularly thin especially in an area such as this, there's no way of knowing purely by sight. Which makes prevention very difficult.

MonkeyChick; i saw you and Brim on sunday at Tattoo Freeze but you were busy chatting so i didn't introduce myself.

Tattooing is art...so get it done by an artist!
Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
Rambler

Can i ask is their a way to avoid it happening or is it literally a case of its a 1 in a million thing that just happens. And what is the fix if it doesn't go away ?
Bombscare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
Jedi Chat Master

have seen this a couple of times....usually in the same area as this too.....softer skin seems to be where it is happening.?
i would imagine if the area was lasered it would disperse quickly.? dont quote me on it but i am guessing the particals of pigment are finer and are traveling below the skin.
so should be easier to break down with laser.?

ONLY A THOUGHT.?

inkcastle bebo

inkcastle website

myspace inkcastle
PERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #9
Queen of F***ing Everything

Send a message via MSN to MonkeyChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest View Post
MonkeyChick; i saw you and Brim on sunday at Tattoo Freeze but you were busy chatting so i didn't introduce myself.
You're rubbish!!

Muffins are for people too scared to order cake for breakfast

It's OK to have fun
MonkeyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 05:13 AM   #10
Rambler

A few questions:

Do you have poor circulation?

Did the artist put pressure on your arm as he applied the tattoo, which could be above and beyond what you would consider normal?
For example, did he grab your inner arm/bicep area and squeeze in order to keep the skin tight? If so, did he/she do this repeatedly and did the action of him grabbing hurt more than the tattoo?

I've seen this once before and it was caused by the artist leaning on the person's forearm (which was where the tattoo was being applied). Because the action of him leaning on the skin tissue forced all of the blood out of her arm (and subsequent muscle tissue) this repetitive action of the blood flowing in and out of the skin caused the ink to ghost in the exact manner as yours did.

It is almost the same principle as exposing your fresh tattoo to the sun to the point that it gets burned. This causes the freshly exposed ends of capillaries trauma which cause the same symptoms.

From what I have seen of subQ blow outs, the ink tends to have more 'depth' if you will, whereas this looks like a subtle gray wash. Could be the pics.

As mentioned already, this may be something that your body will deal with and get rid of on its own. Or not. It could get worse, or not.

The person that I mentioned ended up having more work done to cover the area as it didn't get any better.

Just so you know, the artist mentioned above was someone that I had fired from my shop and the person that he worked on was a mutual friend.

My 2Ę
Rpacheco is offline   Reply With Quote