Old 24-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
Chat Virgin
 
Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 7
Default Half Sleeve questions

Hi, I'm planning to get a half sleeve tattoo for my 20th birthday (20th Nov) and I wanted to ask some questions about getting it done.

First off, are half sleeves all from shoulder to elbow? Or can you get ones that don't go on the shoulder too?

Secondly are there any good custom tattoo artists who could draw a design for me that I could use in another shop, or would it be best to get it done from the same store. What would be the price of a custom tattoo drawing?

How long does a half sleeve take on average to finish (with colour and shading)?

Why do you need to do these tattoos in sessions?

Thank you so much for you help
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 2,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage View Post
Hi, I'm planning to get a half sleeve tattoo for my 20th birthday (20th Nov) and I wanted to ask some questions about getting it done.

First off, are half sleeves all from shoulder to elbow? Or can you get ones that don't go on the shoulder too?

Secondly are there any good custom tattoo artists who could draw a design for me that I could use in another shop, or would it be best to get it done from the same store. What would be the price of a custom tattoo drawing?

How long does a half sleeve take on average to finish (with colour and shading)?

Why do you need to do these tattoos in sessions?

Thank you so much for you help
Hi,

That's a lot of questions!

Most half-sleeves are from shoulder to elbow, some of the traditional Japanese and Maori/Polynesian/Pacific tribal half-sleeves start on the chest, but that depends on what style you're getting.

It's a little bit of an unconventional route getting an artist to draw up a design and taking it to another shop. A lot of them will find that really quite rude, and paying them rubs it in. I'd get the actual artist you want to custom-draw you something, because they're the ones putting it on you they'll do a better job and will follow the process through.

It all depends on the speed of the artist, depending on how complicated it is and what style you'd like. I'd ask to see examples of sleeves and how long it took them, try to think about sessions rather than hours. The reason for sessions is because not only does it give your skin time to rest, but it means the artist can take a break and do it all in stages, like you would if you doing a piece of art on paper. You have to remember it's not like a standard tattoo, which covers a certain area, half-sleeves cover your entire upper arm, there's no gaps left uninked, it's really difficult to do that all in one. Doing it in sessions also allows the artist to concentrate on each area; lines, shading, background ect.

Hope my rambling answers help
__________________
Life is too boring with bare skin.

Last edited by Rosco5; 25-04-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Rosco5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Jedi Chat Master
 
busa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North Wales U.K
Posts: 810
Default

15-20 hours for a sleeve?????

maybe a black and grey sleeve by a very good, very fookin quick artist but more likely 20-30.....full colour full sleeve anything from 35-60 is more likely, both my sleeves came in at around 50 hours and my artist don't hang about
busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 2,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by busa View Post
15-20 hours for a sleeve?????

maybe a black and grey sleeve by a very good, very fookin quick artist but more likely 20-30.....full colour full sleeve anything from 35-60 is more likely, both my sleeves came in at around 50 hours and my artist don't hang about
I did say it depends on the artist and how complicated it is....
__________________
Life is too boring with bare skin.
Rosco5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Chat Virgin
 
Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Thank you so much Rosco5, you've answered all of my questions perfectly.

This is where I'm stuck. I want the traditional shoulder to elbow half sleeve and I have so many ideas running around my head. I want it to be a scene which incorporates many traditional welsh images, St. David flag being held by St. David & a welsh style dragon in there with a typical welsh countryside background (daffodils, mountains etc.) and three feathers and ich Dien quoted too. It just seems way too much to have in my opinion, and i'd like the majority of it in b&g with some colours sticking out to break up the design somewhat. Is it unreasonable to expect a highly detailed tattoo with so many different designs being incorporated? Or is it something that is not even possible to do?

This would be my second tattoo when I get it, my first is my fiancees name above my groin and that didn't hurt at all, so I was curious why you would need sessions but your explantation definitely showed me that they're a necessity.

Thank you for taking your time to help.

Last edited by Rage; 24-04-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
Chatter Box
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Scotland
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by busa View Post
15-20 hours for a sleeve?????

maybe a black and grey sleeve by a very good, very fookin quick artist but more likely 20-30.....full colour full sleeve anything from 35-60 is more likely, both my sleeves came in at around 50 hours and my artist don't hang about
I got a full colour sleeve done recently in less than 15 hours.

4 x 3hrs Sessions
1 x 2hr Session

Totally depends on the artist some are slow and have breaks and all that and others just get the job done....

Also totally depends on what your getting tattoo'd if its got lots of intricate detail and line work then it will be longer.

Last edited by pmheadwired; 25-04-2012 at 07:01 AM. Reason: add
pmheadwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
Jedi Chat Master
 
busa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North Wales U.K
Posts: 810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmheadwired View Post
I got a full colour sleeve done recently in less than 15 hours.

4 x 3hrs Sessions
1 x 2hr Session

Totally depends on the artist some are slow and have breaks and all that and others just get the job done....

Also totally depends on what your getting tattoo'd if its got lots of intricate detail and line work then it will be longer.
To be fair buddy you don't have a full colour sleeve...you have a japanese sleeve with a very simple design, single or dual tones in the flowers and a lot of black and grey wind bars....that said its very impressive if thats all the time it took and proves that it can be done...however i think artists such as yours are the minority and it would be misleading to the OP to think thats a normal timescale for a full sleeve if he's factoring in the hourly rate of an artist ....just my humble opinion of course
busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 2,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by busa View Post
To be fair buddy you don't have a full colour sleeve...you have a japanese sleeve with a very simple design, single or dual tones in the flowers and a lot of black and grey wind bars....that said its very impressive if thats all the time it took and proves that it can be done...however i think artists such as yours are the minority and it would be misleading to the OP to think thats a normal timescale for a full sleeve if he's factoring in the hourly rate of an artist ....just my humble opinion of course
Okay, I've retracted that, your sleeves are phenomenal by the way so I'll bow to your experience
__________________
Life is too boring with bare skin.
Rosco5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
Chatter Box
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Scotland
Posts: 127
Default

Fair play, as I said it depends on the intricacy and the style of the piece you are getting done .. I appreciate the sleeve I had done that took around 14hrs was a more basic traditional jap style design but was just going by my recent experience and in my opinion 60 hours seemed very excessive .. I'd be bankrupt if I had to pay for that !!!

You will probably know more about this than me though .. as aside from the tats I had done years ago iv only started getting plastered in them
pmheadwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
Jedi Chat Master
 
busa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North Wales U.K
Posts: 810
Default

I think 30-60 hours for a full colour sleeve dependant on the artist is about average....as you say design can play a big part though.....my artist is hoping to bang out a black and grey bio-mech sleeve in a one day 12 hour hit at a convention very soon, simple design, 3 grey tones and running very large magnums in his machines....he thinks he might be able to do it and he has completed similar sleeves in around the same timescale...but again its very unusual, some artists work very fast...others exteremely slowly....i'm not trying to be a smart ass or owt here just wanted the OP to to know that timescales can vary massively and with the cost of artists these days its always better to know the full story.
Cheers
busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lower Half Sleeve advice Lazyliving Tattoo Talk 1 30-01-2012 07:28 AM
half sleeve ideas dan12345 Tattoo Talk 8 09-08-2011 06:43 AM
Half sleeve booked Shy Ted Tattoo Talk 3 13-07-2011 02:42 PM
Japanese Half Sleeve artist recommendation? virgin Tattoo Talk 22 16-06-2011 10:13 AM
Half Sleeve to 3/4 sleeve Deano_70 Chit Chat 7 06-11-2008 09:04 PM


SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.