Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
Chat Virgin

Smile Your thoughts on a studio being run not by a tattoo artist...

Hi Guys/Gals

Just wanted to ask a question and get your thoughts (mainly artists thoughts) on working for a studio being run by someone who isn't a tattoo artist.

Basically I love tattoo's and I love art but I'm not a tattoo artist I am setting up an online retailer for tattoo supplies and have always wanted my own tattoo parlour. An opportunity has arisen for me to set one up. I'm not interested in making loads out of it, really just working with great talent and splitting the profits say 60/40, 60 for the artist as I hear this is better than most places.

Coming from a business background I want to run it like any other business to ensure it's success and look after my guys. Any thoughts if this would be frowned upon? It may seem like a daft question but it just seems like a lot of studios are ran by the head artist.

Thanks in advance
R
RCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Rambler

I've thought about doing the same at some point, I really can't see an issue with it as long as you're completely passionate about the art.
Management is management no matter what the business.

I think the only issue would be recruiting suitably talented artists but if you can offer a better deal than they're currently getting, and can offer suitable premises, I think you could be onto a real winner.

I would look for input from an artist in setting up shop though, you need to know what they'd want to see in there.
Old 26-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
We Are Not Worthy

Is it 'No Regrets' that is run something like this? To be honest I would think that there would be plus sides to this for an artist as there are certain things that come with actually being responsible for the studio that you wouldn't have to worry about and you could concentrate on the art?!
captain_cabinet is offline   Reply With Quote