Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum

Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum (http://www.bigtattooplanet.com/forums/)
-   Tattoo Talk (http://www.bigtattooplanet.com/forums/tattoo-talk/)
-   -   When did vasaline......... (http://www.bigtattooplanet.com/forums/tattoo-talk/26094-when-did-vasaline)

annabanana82 13-03-2013 08:39 PM

When did vasaline.........

become a big no no no?
When I had my first two done 14 or so years ago vasaline was the only thing recommended, now its supposed to do allsorts to ruin your tattoo yet mine seem fine.

Rosco5 13-03-2013 08:46 PM

Because it's greasy and blocks your pores. It's the worst thing ever for healing skin.

To be fair, not to be a sarky git but tattooing has moved on a lot in 14 years. I imagine health standards especially are way beyond what they used to be.

I'm also guessing the development of salves and creams has moved on a lot since then. How many people were using cocoa butter or tattoo goo back in the late 90s?

annabanana82 13-03-2013 08:56 PM

I get that moving on and all but it really doesn't feel like 14 years I had them done. My line manager today asked if I was putting surgical spirit on it as that it what she had always been told to use, never heard of that before

peterpoose 13-03-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabanana82 (Post 686682)
I get that moving on and all but it really doesn't feel like 14 years I had them done. My line manager today asked if I was putting surgical spirit on it as that it what she had always been told to use, never heard of that before

Before this it was leaves and mud from the Amazon forest ;)

Rosco5 13-03-2013 09:07 PM

In my dad's day it was soaking your arm in whatever beer happened you spill when you were having a fight in the pub a few hours after.

annabanana82 13-03-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterpoose (Post 686685)
Before this it was leaves and mud from the Amazon forest ;)

Lol, if the hippies have their way it'll come full circle before you know it

sean 13-03-2013 09:22 PM

I got my first tattoo nearly 16 years ago (fuck, I feel old having just thought of that!!!), and around my way, vaseline was pretty much old-hat and a bad way of healing tattoos back then with the few tattoo studios around.

The aftercare wasn't much better, however - sudocrem, or savlon, which I was told to use for my first few, and gave me lovely cornflake-like scabs...:sick:

Prep-H was definitely an improvement in aftercare creams, but Bepanthen is light-years ahead of even that.=:):beer:

idontlikemyusername 13-03-2013 10:11 PM

I was told to put vaseline on my 1st tattoo back in 98. It ended up in a green sticky mess that stuck to my bedclothes and ripped the scab off. After that I used Savlon on the other stuff but I recall the scabs lasting weeks rather than days. I'd never heard of bepanthen until recently but then I've not been tattooed in over 10 years.

MORBIUS 14-03-2013 02:06 AM

BEST THING EVER
Fibrase - Drugs.com

David T-W 14-03-2013 11:19 AM

I got my first in 1990, and already folks were saying not to use Vaseline. I started using E45 for a few years from my second one in 1991.

Started using Bep in 2006.