Old 23-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
Rambler

Default First Tattoo Price

Last edited by HubertK; 24-09-2016 at 06:39 PM.
HubertK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubertK View Post
I am planning on getting my first tattoo in the next 6-12 months and I would like to get a rough idea on what kind of price should I expect to spend on half sleeve. I wonít be making a novice mistake and going for cheap artist which does walk ins. I am still trying to find the perfect artist but the person who has managed to capture my attention is Victor Portugal. His unique style of work is truly amazing and Iím willing to travel from UK to his studio in Poland just to experience his amazing skills on my skin.

I would like to know a rough estimate on the price which artists in the same league as Victor Portugal charge for a detailed half sleeve like the ones below.

^^ I am not planning on stealing any elements of any of these tattoos just using them as an example as my sleeve will be a very simillar style and theme.
I have work and continuing work with Victor and regularly travel to Poland.

He is pretty cheap compared to others if you go to him. He charges alot more at a convention

I do not think you will pay more than 2000-3000 euros depending on the amount of detail
Old 23-04-2013, 12:39 AM   #3
Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpoose View Post
I have work and continuing work with Victor and regularly travel to Poland.

He is pretty cheap compared to others if you go to him. He charges alot more at a convention

I do not think you will pay more than 2000-3000 euros depending on the amount of detail
Thanks alot for the quick reply and I am truly amazed with your back piece done by Victor.

Would you say Victor is the right choice for the style, which I am after, or would you recommend any other artists. From what I can see you have worked with few of the best artists out there so your opinion is very valuable to me.

The price is a little bit higher then expected including the travel costs but I guess I will have enough time to save up as Iíve heard that the waiting period for artists like victor can be very long.
Old 23-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Thanks alot for the quick reply and I am truly amazed with your back piece done by Victor.

Would you say Victor is the right choice for the style, which I am after, or would you recommend any other artists. From what I can see you have worked with few of the best artists out there so your opinion is very valuable to me.

The price is a little bit higher then expected including the travel costs but I guess I will have enough time to save up as Iíve heard that the waiting period for artists like victor can be very long.
Thank you mate but I am no expert, I am just a canvas hehe.

You can check out my signature link, a map I am making of world class artists around the globe

Your going about things perfectly, It is going on your body for life so you should get the best you can.

Victor is booked into 2014 He was my first tattoo, I lost my virginity to Victor

Most great artists will have at least a year waiting list unless you go even further a field like Ukraine or Russia as their waiting lists seems shorter but they have some sick talent!

You will be looking at between £90 - £400 an hour depending on artist but most from what I gather are around the £130 an hour mark

Personally from the pictures you linked, I don't think it is Victors style but he can make anything into his style so as long as your happy with it changing it can work
Old 23-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #5
Rambler

Quote:
Thank you mate but I am no expert, I am just a canvas hehe.

You can check out my signature link, a map I am making of world class artists around the globe

Your going about things perfectly, It is going on your body for life so you should get the best you can.

Victor is booked into 2014 He was my first tattoo, I lost my virginity to Victor

Most great artists will have at least a year waiting list unless you go even further a field like Ukraine or Russia as their waiting lists seems shorter but they have some sick talent!

You will be looking at between £90 - £400 an hour depending on artist but most from what I gather are around the £130 an hour mark

Personally from the pictures you linked, I don't think it is Victors style but he can make anything into his style so as long as your happy with it changing it can work
Thanks alot for all the amazing advice and you have been really helpful.

Im not sure If I will be able to wait another year for my first tattoo as Im getting excited by just looking through all the potential designs and styles. I am going to try to contact "Anatskiy" from Ukraine with the help of a russian translator as the languge barrier is in my opinion the reason why I haven't received any reply.
Old 23-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
Chat Virgin

Quote:
... is in my opinion the reason why I haven't received any reply.
You'll find that the top artists are hard to get a hold of. Most efficient artists have managers who set up their bookings for them and it's easier to get responses. They can be awfully selective about their projects as well since they are in such high demand. Some may be in a place where they only want large multi-session pieces. Others may be in a place where they want to try something new. They always want to hear your general idea but they want the freedom to do things their way. That's why it is imperative to pick an artist who's style really resonates with you. Then you won't have apprehensions about giving them the freedom to make it look awesome.

Unless of course you are like Peter here who has some of the world's best on him already. Now other top artists are asking him if they can tattoo him. Unheard of.

This may help, maybe not. What I've done is begin following some of my favorite artists on Instagram. Watch their work and the work of others they follow. Build a favorites list. I have a Top 10 list. I've emailed my current idea to all 10 and I'll see if any bite. Some I have no doubt I'll never hear from them. But maybe one of them will really dig on my idea and want to do it.

If not, I'll try again when I have another idea. See if I have better luck. That's worked for me once before. First idea got a NO, and several ignores. Second idea got a yes!
mbbransc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbransc View Post
You'll find that the top artists are hard to get a hold of. Most efficient artists have managers who set up their bookings for them and it's easier to get responses. They can be awfully selective about their projects as well since they are in such high demand. Some may be in a place where they only want large multi-session pieces. Others may be in a place where they want to try something new. They always want to hear your general idea but they want the freedom to do things their way. That's why it is imperative to pick an artist who's style really resonates with you. Then you won't have apprehensions about giving them the freedom to make it look awesome.

Unless of course you are like Peter here who has some of the world's best on him already. Now other top artists are asking him if they can tattoo him. Unheard of.

This may help, maybe not. What I've done is begin following some of my favorite artists on Instagram. Watch their work and the work of others they follow. Build a favorites list. I have a Top 10 list. I've emailed my current idea to all 10 and I'll see if any bite. Some I have no doubt I'll never hear from them. But maybe one of them will really dig on my idea and want to do it.

If not, I'll try again when I have another idea. See if I have better luck. That's worked for me once before. First idea got a NO, and several ignores. Second idea got a yes!
Yep I also started with a few No's. Keep at it and you will get somebody eventually but you will have to wait for a decent artist unless your idea is so awesome they love it.

Most artists keep a few spaces each year for special projects open and can fit you in if you fill the criteria of the artist
Old 23-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
Rambler

Quote:
Yep I also started with a few No's. Keep at it and you will get somebody eventually but you will have to wait for a decent artist unless your idea is so awesome they love it.

Most artists keep a few spaces each year for special projects open and can fit you in if you fill the criteria of the artist
I have succeeded in contacting Mr Anatskiy and manage to get a very helpful reply. To be honest all the tattoos that he has posted on his portofolio are truly amazing and I wouldn't mind having any of them on my skin so it seems like he is the perfect artist for me.

The most interesting thing is that he is so humble and also not very popular in the tattoo industry which works for me perfectly as the waiting period is only about a month.

I need to start planning my trip to Ukraine, which will most likely take place in the next 5-6 months. Anatskiy's studio is located in suburbs of Kiev and his prices are very very reasonable comparing to artists with the similar amount of skill as him.

How would you describe your last vist to Ukraine when you were getting your whole sleeve done?
Old 23-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
I have succeeded in contacting Mr Anatskiy and manage to get a very helpful reply. To be honest all the tattoos that he has posted on his portofolio are truly amazing and I wouldn't mind having any of them on my skin so it seems like he is the perfect artist for me.

The most interesting thing is that he is so humble and also not very popular in the tattoo industry which works for me perfectly as the waiting period is only about a month.

I need to start planning my trip to Ukraine, which will most likely take place in the next 5-6 months. Anatskiy's studio is located in suburbs of Kiev and his prices are very very reasonable comparing to artists with the similar amount of skill as him.

How would you describe your last vist to Ukraine when you were getting your whole sleeve done?
Sounds awesome mate well done

As I said there is some sick talent in the Ukraine and Russia and most of them only have short wait lists I guess due to people not willing to travel that far.

My time in the Ukraine was as follows....

Get up tattoo 9 hours, spot hundreds of 9 foot tall, legs up to their necks women everywhere lol Look at photos my wife took all day around town that she visited alone.

Rinse and repeat for 8 days lol
Old 23-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
Rambler

Quote:
Sounds awesome mate well done

As I said there is some sick talent in the Ukraine and Russia and most of them only have short wait lists I guess due to people not willing to travel that far.

My time in the Ukraine was as follows....

Get up tattoo 9 hours, spot hundreds of 9 foot tall, legs up to their necks women everywhere lol Look at photos my wife took all day around town that she visited alone.

Rinse and repeat for 8 days lol
Thatís great to hear as I will most likely be traveling alone and I've heard so many bad stories about Ukraine in general. If your wife was safe alone then I don't think I should have any problems if I keep my head down.

The thing, which kind of put me off is that Mr Eugene claims that a tattoo similar to the one he has done will only take about 3-4 sessions and he works in 3 hours per session. He also said that his studio/workshop/office is only open for appointments and works independently.

^^ These are the pictures which I have posted asking for an estimate on how many hours he would need to create the masterpieces like the ones above. I was expecting atleast 20 hours.