Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Chat Slut

Default Tattoo ink allergic reaction?

Anyone have any experience with an overall allergy to ink in your bloodstream?

First two sits I got an itchy rash down both arms relieved by piriton. When the tattoo was about 10 days old.

Then yesterday I started developing hives under the armpit of the arm that the tattoo is on, which spread and spread, I've taken a piriton but I'm slightly worried about my next sit as the reaction keeps getting worse each time. They're all down my stomach, hips, back, and upper legs. I don't usually react to anything ie hair dye etc and I haven't changed shampoo, fabric conditioner etc...

Anyone had this before? Tattoo itself looks great, healed really well and I have absolutely no query with the shops hygiene practices.

I used hustle butter which I've never tried before to heal this time, could it be that?

Shitty GP can't see me until Dec and next sit on the 30th of this month, hense the reason I'm asking here!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Tattoo ink allergic reaction?-image.jpg  
CleoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Jedi Chat Master

Could be something in the Hustle Butter I guess that your allergic too, sorry cant be more help as I have not had an allergic reaction
Old 13-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Jedi Chat Master

I think you body is producing excess histamine cos it knows there are foreign objects ie the new ink. you can suppress it with beconase. same thing happens to me or used to.
Old 13-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
Chat Slut

Thanks guys,

Do you recon it might get worse again next time? I've scared the bejesus out of myself reading about ink allergy online now and being a particularity anxious person anyway I'm worried about all the anaphylactic shock stuff I just read about ....it said if the reaction worsens with each tattoo there's a high likelyhood of a major reaction next time...

Ugh....need the arm finished! But don't fancy ending up in A&E! Lol what a drama queen I am.

Results 5 hours after piriton....
Attached Thumbnails
Tattoo ink allergic reaction?-image.jpg  
Old 13-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
Chat Slut

First pic is definately a histanine reaction Just your bodys defences being kicked into overdrive. IIRC your tattoo is just black and shading so it is very unlikely to be an allergic reaction as the pigment is basicaly carbon. Als the reaction would be concentrated around the tattoo and not all down your side.
magnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

I'd be worried too, I don't think you're overreacting! It does look like you've got an allergy. To be on the safe side, you could preventatively dose with piriton on your next sitting and every day after for a fortnight? Rather than only when your reaction appears. An epipen might be a good idea too if you're worried about a stronger reaction. Can't believe you have to wait till December for a GP appointment, that's shit!
EmmaBemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

ots of allergies cause reactions over the body, not just at the site. Food allergies, for one.
Old 13-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Jedi Chat Master

if it were a reaction to the ink i would have though it would show up on your tattoo rather than all over your body

it sounds like it could be the Hustle butter

if your really concerned possibly try to find a walk in center? a lot of them have closed down recently but if you can get to one they are really helpful for stuff like this
sloseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

By that rationale, the Hustle butter would only cause a reaction on the tattoo as well, unless Cleo is using it all over.
Old 13-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
Chat Slut

Magnu - yes it's just b&g.

I've waited for a year for Meehow to do this

Managed to feign imminent death and get a GP appointment. He basically looked at it, said the same as the online stuff, said its a histamine reaction and is unlikely from the Ointment as I reacted last time too and that was just using bepanthem.

He advised not to proceed with completion because he said the reaction was severe in his opinion and next time could cause airway swelling etc. But he said if I'm going to ignore him that I need to take 4 piriton in one hit before the tattoo and then 3-4 tablets daily for the first few weeks (pretty much echoed what you've said Emma) I don't know if he's serious or just trying to put me off because it's a tattoo and most GP's in my crusty village don't approve.

Urgh really not sure what to do.!?