Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2018, 03:40 PM   #291
Mumbler

So it's day 2 of my first tattoo healing (day 3 for a big pain piece on it)

So far my healing routine:

Day 1:
Wrapped, woke up in the morning with it still wrapped, washed off all the plasma and blood with a 0% everything neutral body wash, went to get tattooed again

Day 2 (Sat):
Washed in the morning as soon as I woke up, I was told not to wrap it again after the second day, washed the same as above, put on a thin layer of simple rich moisturiser. Went and picked up Palmers Cocoa butter (This one: https://www.superdrug.com/Holiday---...FfUN0wodEUkApg )
But I haven't been able to use it, it's so thick and heavy and I can barely get it to smooth out on my fingers, and I feel like if I put it on my tattoo on day 2 of healing it's going to suffocate it and take a LOT of pressure to rub it in, so i've just had to use the simple moisturiser more
I was going to grab bepanthen from boots but my artist didn't recommend it, they just said cocoa and shea butter only if it starts to get really dry. Washed it again before going to bed and put another small amount of moisturiser on it.

Day 3:
Washed when I woke up, this time it got pretty dry, and theres was a lot of white patchy looking dry skin around the blackwork (mainly the dress and drip lines on this tattoo: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgE0TNfF...&taken-by=sewp ) which I assume because it's 3 days compared to the 2 on the rest of the tattoo) and it itches like hell, this is all normal right?
Luckily i have nothing on this week so I can just stay at home and focus on cleaning it, keeping it dry and airing it out but having had a pretty weak seeming care plan of 'air dry and only moisturise if it gets really dry' but not actually telling me the stages of whats going to happen is freaking me out
Any tips on the cocoa butter? It's what I was told by a few people on here / the artist to buy but it's just so thick and heavy I don't see how i'm going to rub it on my skin, and is day 2/3 too early to be using it?
Seeing all these white lines on the drips that makes it look like the entire thing is fading away is really freaking me out
HarlemThorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #292
Mumbler

Here's an example of what i'm talking about on the drip lines:
https://imgur.com/a/s2jU0

It almost looks like whole parts are vanishing
Old 11-03-2018, 04:54 PM   #293
Jedi Chat Master

You're an over thinker and that's going to be a problem for you during the healing process. Healing takes about a month and paying a ton of attention to your tattoo during that month can cause a lot of problems.

Over washing, over moisturizing, and over touching will all mess up the heal. The best thing you can do is wash it once a day, check to see if it needs moisturizing 3 or 4 times a day (but only moisturize if it needs it) and pretend it doesn't exist the rest of the time (just wear a loose long sleeve shirt if you can). Your body knows how to heal skin, it doesn't need a lot of help from you. The moisturizing thing is different for everyone. Some people need it only once or twice a day, others need it more often. If you overmoisturize you'll start to get blemishes and rashes and you'll be back on here asking if we think your tattoo is infected. Don't wash it too much. Washing dries it out.

A lot of aftercare products are pretty thick and hard to spread at first but body heat thins it out and makes it easier. Just put it on your tattoo and rub it in. It'll spread better than you think. Or you can put it in your palm and work it around with you other hand first so it gets warm and easy to spread before you put it on your tatttoo.

Last edited by DGreenwood; 11-03-2018 at 05:10 PM.
DGreenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #294
We Are Not Worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGreenwood View Post
You're an over thinker and that's going to be a problem for you during the healing process. Healing takes about a month and paying a ton of attention to your tattoo during that month can cause a lot of problems.

Over washing, over moisturizing, and over touching will all mess up the heal. The best thing you can do is wash it once a day, check to see if it needs moisturizing 3 or 4 times a day (but only moisturize if it needs it) and pretend it doesn't exist the rest of the time (just wear a loose long sleeve shirt if you can). Your body knows how to heal skin, it doesn't need a lot of help from you. The moisturizing thing is different for everyone. Some people need it only once or twice a day, others need it more often. If you overmoisturize you'll start to get blemishes and rashes and you'll be back on here asking if we think your tattoo is infected.

A lot of aftercare products are pretty thick and hard to spread at first but body heat thins it out and makes it easier. Just put it on your tattoo and rub it in. It'll spread better than you think. Or you can put it in your palm and work it around with you other hand first so it gets warm and easy to spread before you put it on your tatttoo.
This is bang on imo.

I clingfilm mine for 3 days after, wash it twice per day and put bep on around 3-4 times per day, with maybe 20 minutes inbetween to air dry and then I leave well alone. All my work has healed a dream like this.

The one time my artist used Dermalize on me it healed like shit, dropped ink and became irritated.
Lolly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:14 PM   #295
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemThorne View Post
Here's an example of what i'm talking about on the drip lines:
https://imgur.com/a/s2jU0

It almost looks like whole parts are vanishing
Just ignore how it looks until the 30 day mark, unless it looks like it might be infected.
DGreenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:45 PM   #296
Mumbler

Thanks for the advice, putting a long sleeve shirt on seems to help because apart from the pain I forget it's there
I'm at home all week and don't need to go out so i'm thinking that washing once in the morning and once at night is enough - or even just once a day since it's not being exposed to anything

Just one more question, is this peeling or dry skin?
Looks like peeling but just wanna make sure
https://imgur.com/a/q7afz
Old 11-03-2018, 10:30 PM   #297
Chatter Box

Hard to tell from a pic but it looks like peeling could be starting. Don’t worry, just keep it moisturised. You’ll know when to moisturise it because it will feel dry and a bit tight.
Mostincrediblyawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:38 AM   #298
Jedi Chat Master

Youíve got the wrong cocoa butter. Get this one:

https://www.superdrug.com/Holiday---...-250ml/p/39818

The stuff youíve got is okay for when itís healed, youíll be able to rub it in okay then.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:25 PM   #299
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly123 View Post
This is bang on imo.

I clingfilm mine for 3 days after, wash it twice per day and put bep on around 3-4 times per day, with maybe 20 minutes inbetween to air dry and then I leave well alone. All my work has healed a dream like this.

The one time my artist used Dermalize on me it healed like shit, dropped ink and became irritated.
This is almost exactly as I do, and after 40+ hours work on me, it always turns out great! Many people seem to go on about bepanthen and it's change in formula etc, but I have no issue with it whatsoever.

Wrapping for 3 or so days means no scabs, and no itching for me.
80sMatchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:48 PM   #300
Chat Slut

A trick to get thicker substances emulsified is to use a knife (butter knife) or a tongue depresser and and repeatedly wiping it against the rim of the jar it comes in. It's the same way they scoop Gelato. This will smooth it out and break up the clumps, plus you won't get it all over your hands.

And mediocre artists can't do great tattoos, no matter how great your idea is." -D. Greenwood
Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote