Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-01-2015, 09:29 PM   #1
Jedi Chat Master

Default **the in depth guide to combination wet healing**

Aftercare. This may seem excessive but I’m a nut about aftercare and we invest a lot into our artwork and it should be cared for as best possible.

It is essentially a dry wrap but wet heal. Works well if you work in a dirty environment or don't heal well.

Here is My method and my opinion, different things work for different people and it is (usually) best to follow the aftercare of your artist as they know what works best for their work. usually.

* If this is your first tattoo you will probably want to show it off... with this method it will be covered for nearly the entire duration of the healing process except cleaning with a clear film. DO NOT get anxious and although it may not look as cool for a week, you will thank me in the end.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** FIRST, go to your local pharmacy and purchase TEGADERM . It is made by the company 3M sold by Nexcare. 3M NEXCARE TEGADERM. it is an adhesive for abrasions cuts and burns and it is FANTASTIC. . It is breathable, you can shower, tattoo will NOT dry out, will NOT get itchy, will NOT rub on clothes, etc etc etc. its great. It takes all the thinking out of healing once it is on.
-----------------------------------------------------------
**Ok, after your tattoo it will be wrapped in saran wrap. Keep it wrapped until you’re ready for bed. (depending what time you get done… this first wrap will be on for a few hours. leaving the initial wrap on until you go to bed the DAY OF getting a tattoo, will be okay.

** Remove the saran wrap and using a mild antibacterial soap (you don’t want scents or moisturizers in it) I use h2ocean Blue Green soap. I’m a big fan of their soap, it’s kind of expensive for what you get so i buy the little ~2oz one they sell and then the bulk refill but I obviously will be using it often. If you have no plans for a future tattoo anytime soon or it’s a small tattoo the little bottle will suffice. However, this specific soap isn’t a mandatory.

**using only your fingers gently wash the skin and tattoo of all the plasma gunk you'll have there will be color too, this is normal)
Clean it well and either DAB dry (Do not scrub) with a CLEAN paper towel do not use a wash rag. At this stage you want to be sanitary. (So you know, the human body and skin is very resilient, don’t freak out just keep it clean that’s all) or allow to air dry for about 10-15 min.

** Your skin/tattoo must be COMPLETELY dry. At this stage DO NOT put ANY tattoo ointment or lotion on the tattoo. RE WRAP your tattoo as is WITH SARAN WRAP and go to bed. This is the first day , the day the tattoo was put on. Your body is expelling plasma and other liquids to the site of the wound. There is no need to keep the skin moisturized at this stage as your body will do that for you.

*** DAY 2 (Day/Morning after tattoo) wake up and remove the SARAN WRAP and repeat cleaning instructions aforementioned. Gently using your fingers with the antibacterial soap to clean the tattoo. Dry the same way and make sure it is 100% dry. HERE YOU CAN APPLY A SMALL AMOUNT OF TATTOO OINTMENT AT THIS STAGE. I USE HUSTLEBUTTER DELUXE OR INKEEZE GREENGLIDE. I however do not. If you look into wound care (not just tattoos) you can learn how the body heals itself, what a scab is, why they form, and the disadvantages of this mechanism our body uses to heal.
*** You DO NOT need to use any tattoo ointment at this stage, your body is in heavy recovery mode and there will be plenty of natural moisture and liquid to heal it without adding extra ointment. But, you can use a VERY SMALL amount. I would only suggest this for the reason of Vitamins that are in ointments can be beneficial if you have a quality product. I DO NOT RECOMMEND AQUAPHOR. .

*** RE-WRAP YOUR TATTOO AGAIN WITH SARAN WRAP. During these saran wrap wraps, it should be the soft saran wrap not the cheap clunky rough kind, and placed flush and flat on the tattoo and wrapped and should be held in place with surgical tape.

*** VERY IMPORTANT: This dressing should be cleaned, dried and re wrapped with SARAN WRAP no more than two times , once morning once before bed on DAY 2 of the heal process. I would NOT recommend putting ointment on it every time you rewrap. If you do, only a SMALL amount. This is a widely and unanimously accepted fact. .

*** Before going to bed, repeat the cleaning process and gently clean again and you can put a small amount of ointment on before bed and RE WRAP again with SARAN WRAP. THIS IS STILL DAY 2. You are re wrapping with SARAN WRAP until ALL plasma exertion has stopped. Usually between days 2 and 3. Go to bed

VERY VERY IMPORTANT THIS IS THE TURNING POINT OF THE HARD WORK.
** DAY 3. THIS STAGE CAN BE CRITICAL. YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE THE TEGADERM IF YOUR TATTOO IS STILL "OOZING" OR PRODUCING PLASMA. USUALLY WHEN YOU WAKE UP ON DAY 3 YOUR SHOULD BE OKAY. IF NOT DO EITHER ANOTHER DAY OF DAY 2 REPEAT. OR AT LEAST A FEW MORE WRAPS TILL THERE IS NO OOZING.

** wake up, gently repeat cleaning process and make sure tattoo is completely dry and free of plasma after this last re wrap. YOU MUST allow to fully air dry (Must be Absolutely, 100% dry) for best results. It must be cleaned with antibacterial soap so as to have no germs or bacteria in your wound at this point. This is very important. Make sure it is washed enough so no residue is left. You DO NOT want to use the TEGADERM if you have excessive and unnecessary moisture trapped.

****** IF AND ONLY IF the plasma has stopped , apply TEGADERM.
I buy the biggest squares possible at the pharmacy
( Assuming not investing in a roll) so buy the ones with a "frame" you’ll see what I mean.

*** WITH NO TATTOO OINTMENT> I REPEAT NO NO NO OINTMENT. (It won’t stick if you do anyway) PROPERLY apply TEGADERM covered the entire tattoo leaving a little room (~ ¼ inch past the tattoo). You CAN overlap these framed TEGADERM dressings to cover the tattoo. but multiple can be used to cover the whole thing and an slight overlapping will not affect it. Follow instructions on box or ask.

*** TEGADERM is breathable, waterproof, will keep any gunk out. It will protect any clothing that may rub up against it. From here its easy. The TEGADERM will be left on for the duration of the healing process. TEGADERM can be worn up to five days, do not take it off until the tattoo is fully healed.. If the tattoo is not fully healed after 5 days you can carefully and safely replace the dressing. Your art will heal from the inside out with no scabs AT ALL. THIS METHOD uses your body’s natural healing enzymes etc to heal the tattoo.

**A scab is the body’s way of protecting the inside of the body from infection, but it’s not at all good for tattoos. The body creates a scab to protect the healing skin from outside elements. This is what the TEGADERM is for. The reason we put ointment on a tattoo in a thin layer is so the skin cells have a layer of liquid to float on so the wound does not dry out and heal it will heal without scabbing. Having too much ointment actually is counterproductive because the new skin cells are in TOO MUCH liquid and cannot properly bind to one another and heal. Using the Tegaderm does the same thing but uses your body’s natural fluids with a perfect homeostasis level of moisture and it WILL NOT dry out. WILL NOT SCAB. Your art will be protected better, you can shower, you can work, you can do anything and it stays on until the tattoo is fully healed. **

Do not get anxious at this stage and remove it too early. This makes the time from receiving your tattoo to fully healed in about a WEEK! If it is not fully healed after four or five days you can remove it and replace it with a new one. Since you are healing your tattoo from the inside out ,You do not want to remove the Tegaderm until it is fully healed because healing from the inside out instead of traditionally outside in, means the outter most layer heals last. For this reason if it is not healed , reapply Tegaderm until it is. If you do remove it you COULD continue healing traditionally at this point with keeping it slightly moisturized with ointment. I DO NOT recommend this though because after coming this far you want it to heal the best possible and continue healing from the inside out. Reapply Tegaderm until fully healed.
* follow instructions on the Tegaderm box to remove properly. You DO NOT pull up and against the skin as if ripping a sticker off, it will tell you how to do it properly.

There you go! It may seem like a lot of work or a bit excessive, but for what we invest in our artwork. It is worth it.

If you think about it. It is really not that much work. All you’re doing is keeping it clean and wrap with SARAN WRAP until the tattoo stops oozing, usually about 2 to 3 days. Your body knows what it is doing so you don’t need to use ointment (but you can use very small amounts). When it stopped oozing on day 3, you apply the Tegaderm on and THAT’S IT! DONE! You leave it for 5+ days until the tattoo is fully and beautifully healed.

If you have any questions just ask. This is just my method and my option. Again different things work for different people but If there are any questions just ask. Again, I hope this has helped.

∅ Pittsburgh

Art××Tattoo××Paint

Last edited by checkonetwo; 26-04-2015 at 04:40 PM.
checkonetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 10:21 PM   #2
Chat Slut

Wow.
I just clean mine in the shower, slap a bit of bep on it in the morning, wash it again in the evening and more bep and I'm good to go.
keithski122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 11:17 PM   #3
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithski122 View Post
Wow.
I just clean mine in the shower, slap a bit of bep on it in the morning, wash it again in the evening and more bep and I'm good to go.
that is more along the lines of just your run-of-the-mill every day traditional healing. I know a lot of people just starting out would rather in depth detail step by step which is what I was trying to achieve. Or for anyone who wants to try when healing

I find wet healing to be much cleaner safer and exponentially better then the traditional route. I bet your clothes stick to the Bep you need to look after it daily until its healed etc etc it can scab up etc this way you only look after it like any other tattoo for 2 - 3 days other than it being kept wrapped in saran wrap for those days. And than put tegaderm on and you don't have to worry about it one bit until it is fully healed it won't rub it won't dry out it won't get dirty it is perfect and absolutely the best way in my opinion

∅ Pittsburgh

Art××Tattoo××Paint
Old 26-01-2015, 11:46 PM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

My favorite way of healing is dry wrapping or saniderm/Tegaderm/Tat2derm. Too bad I'm sensitive to the adhesive of saniderm so I had to stop using it.

For top notch artists check out this app!
http://thebragartlist.mobuapps.london/
ThrobbingSausage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 12:13 AM   #5
Jedi Chat Master

I'd never get tattooed if I had to follow all that, fuk dat.
Zenpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 12:31 AM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenpower View Post
I'd never get tattooed if I had to follow all that, fuk dat.
I just tried to be as descriptive informative detailed and helpful as I could . if you read it the whole thing is just 2-3 days cleaning it and re wrapping like twice or three times a day thats all . i wrote it long IN DETAIL so they understand. than day 3 put tegaderm on it and leave it on till healed that's it. Very simple you change it every 6 hours that's max three rimes a day not counting sleep .

∅ Pittsburgh

Art××Tattoo××Paint
Old 27-01-2015, 12:46 AM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

Hey if it works for you, that's great. Plenty of other people seem to want to try this method too, so I'm not knocking it at all. Just saying that I'd never do it. Wash bed wash bep is good enough for me.
Zenpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 01:52 AM   #8
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenpower View Post
Hey if it works for you, that's great. Plenty of other people seem to want to try this method too, so I'm not knocking it at all. Just saying that I'd never do it. Wash bed wash bep is good enough for me.
I used that method healing my first piece . I used h2ocean stuff. Worked pretty well

∅ Pittsburgh

Art××Tattoo××Paint
Old 27-01-2015, 02:02 AM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

Dry Wrapping (in my experience) really helps with minimal scabbing and holding color better. Yes, it is a pain to wash and wrap 4x a day but it's worth it in the long run. And like mentioned, no sticking to clothes, which I absolutely cannot stand.

For top notch artists check out this app!
http://thebragartlist.mobuapps.london/
ThrobbingSausage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 02:19 AM   #10
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithski122 View Post
Wow.
lol this is all I do

Works a treat!

Why fix something if it isnt broken right