Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #1
Mumbler

Default Needed permits/documents for opening a tattoo shop in UK

Hello fellow tattoo artists!
Me and my best friend wants to open a new tattoo shop in UK (east midlands, Leicester, Nottingham..) and if it's possible to give us a hand for the needed permits or documents to start the dream
We're not new in the tattooing, i'm 3y, he's 5-6 ys exp.. And now we want to work together in our place..

We'll appreciate any advice, tips or just write here in the topic!
Wish you great time here and in the tattoolife!!

.GeorgeStrairon
strairon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:11 PM   #2
Chatter Box

This might be of some help to you;
Considerations to Make When Opening Your Own Tattoo Studio | Barber DTS

In general though I think just get in touch with the council and they will tell you who you need to register with and what documentation you need.

Good luck, I hope it goes well for you both.
katec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
Mumbler

Thanks katec for your quick info!
We read the council papers (or documents for legits..) and i understand that we need ONLY to take the Heath and Safety course.. But is it only this and is there any other permits (if someone is familiar..) and only to write the persons who'll work in this application..?
Thanks again!
Old 11-02-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
We Are Not Worthy

Why don't you ask the owners of the shops you both work in now? They'll have been through the process already and will surely be able to offer you advice (this is a forum of primarily tattoo enthusiasts, if you want artist advice, best to join the artist section of this forum)
Old 11-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #5
Mumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roovier View Post
Why don't you ask the owners of the shops you both work in now? They'll have been through the process already and will surely be able to offer you advice (this is a forum of primarily tattoo enthusiasts, if you want artist advice, best to join the artist section of this forum)
The problem is that we work in other countries now... and the laws are quite different
Thanks again!
Old 11-02-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
We Are Not Worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by strairon View Post
The problem is that we work in other countries now... and the laws are quite different
Thanks again!
Ah, fair enough - that makes sense! Good luck in your search.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #7
Chatter Box

In the UK you will need;
- Infection Control Training (the local authority run training courses and refresher courses are needed every five years for everyone who works at your shop)
- Health Inspection (Before you can be registered the premises have to be approved, so you will need to call the health board and arrange an inspection)
- Insurance (the business must have third party liability insurance)
- Licensing (you will need a tattoo, piercing and electrolysis licence with the local authority and all of your tattooers will have to be registered with the local authority. There is a one off fee for this which varies depending on the area of the UK and is only usable within the area it is registered. Some areas also require that these are renewed periodically, which can also be charged)

You will have to keep things like evidence of health and safety, training and safe waste disposal available for inspection at all times - so ensure you're recording everything fully from the very beginning too.
Old 13-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #8
Mumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by katec View Post
In the UK you will need;
- Infection Control Training (the local authority run training courses and refresher courses are needed every five years for everyone who works at your shop)
- Health Inspection (Before you can be registered the premises have to be approved, so you will need to call the health board and arrange an inspection)
- Insurance (the business must have third party liability insurance)
- Licensing (you will need a tattoo, piercing and electrolysis licence with the local authority and all of your tattooers will have to be registered with the local authority. There is a one off fee for this which varies depending on the area of the UK and is only usable within the area it is registered. Some areas also require that these are renewed periodically, which can also be charged)

You will have to keep things like evidence of health and safety, training and safe waste disposal available for inspection at all times - so ensure you're recording everything fully from the very beginning too.
wow thanks for the big info!!
But.. with the willing to not become tedious, can you tell me (if you know) about this Infection Control training, if i ask in the local authority, they'll tell me, right (explanation and everything..)? Because i want everything to be perfect, i don't want to make any troubles or to inconvenience or anything.. I'm looking for to settle permanently there
Thanks again!
Old 17-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #9
Chatter Box

Yep - they should give you a run down of everything involved and explain everything if you don't understand. Don't worry about asking a lot of questions; they're happy to answer them; generally they'd rather answer a few seemingly stupid questions than risk you not following procedure, so don't worry about how stupid you might sound and just ask them about anything you don't know.