Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-03-2015, 04:06 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default booking for my first tattoo soon. need advice please

Hey, I'm going to be booking my first tattoo soon and I just wanted some advice i guess.
I'm getting a largish tattoo on my outer upper arm, i've been told it will take about 9 hours to complete, give or take but i can break it up into smaller sessions recommended about 3hours but my choice.

I am looking to break up the sessions into roughly 3hour sessions as I'm worried i'm gonna be a pansy and because its a bit easier on the ol' bank balance that way but over what sort of time scale and period or does it not matter?
eg. If i had 1 session, 3weeks(or when its finished healing) pass another session another 3 weeks - or something to that effect, does it matter? is it going to affect the tattoo?
Phoenixeternia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
Jedi Chat Master

One since its your first really take your time . who is the artist you have chosen?

I ask because your artist will best be able to answer those questions because its going to fully determined how long and how everything else by the artist..

For example .. I'm getting a full lower leg sleeve in 2017 . I'm flying from USA to Poland so I'm doing 2full day sessions back to back .. Waiting a week and doing two more full day sessions back to back.. Because he knows best how to assemble the piece as to not work spots that aren't healed yet. He only does 6 hour sessions though so I'll require 6 total after its said and done..

So your artist will know best (I hope). Because if its a large piece he could work different sections back to back ... Three hours isn't very long at all and you would have to wait for an area to heal before going over it...

So yes these are all questions your artist knows.

Have you not discussed this with him?

∅ Pittsburgh

Art××Tattoo××Paint
checkonetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #3
Chat Virgin

I had a simple consultation to meet him discuss what i wanted, hand over my images and discuss details of what i wanted in the tattoo and i had questions set out and honestly this didn't even pop into my mind at the time.

I remembered to ask about breaking it into smaller sessions, their full day is 6hrs but being my first i'm not sure how i would get on so ideally i was looking to do a 3hr and hopefully a 6hr but with money being tight from time to time and it costing a bit more then I had expected I wasnt sure if to go ahead with a 3 hour session then just wait till how ever long till i can afford each session or around 3hours or more depending on cash flow.

Once i call them to let them know whats what hes going to draw up something up for me to come back in to look at so I can always ask then I just want to be a bit more clued up. Tried to get a bit more knowledgeable before the first consultation because if you don't know what to ask you cant ask i guess lol but i'm still so clueless.

his names Freddie Albrighton at a studio near where I live.

thanks for the reply btw
Old 30-03-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

Great choice of artist if it's the one I am thinking of, in Chelmsford? Jason's shop?

3 hours isn't long and most people can manage more than that but obviously you know yourself better

That area is also one of the easiest places pain wise for a tattooed
Old 30-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #5
Chat Virgin

yeah thats the place ^_^
Old 30-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixeternia View Post
yeah thats the place ^_^
Ya buddy you'll be in good hands .,.

I think you could take the 6

If not start with three and maybe he can do the six next time/s

But hell be able to tell you what your best option is

∅ Pittsburgh

Art××Tattoo××Paint
checkonetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
Chat Virgin

Cheers guys!
I do prefer the idea of a 3 to start to dip my feet in the water so to speak but i'll give them a ring see what he says about time scale of it all and healing and go from there!

Thanks for the help, got a better idea on what to ask when i call up ^_^
Old 30-03-2015, 05:59 PM   #8
Jedi Chat Master

Nice artist choice!
Old 30-03-2015, 06:16 PM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

I love doing 3 hour stints, they fly by so quickly but you can still get a fair bit done. And you don't feel like a zombie when it's over.
Zenpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #10
Jedi Chat Master

Most of the first hour will usually be sorting the stencil out to be honest.
Each to their own but I'd definitely go for 6hrs - your upper arm is the easiest place to get done too. Honestly, you'll be fine - and if you're not you can always bail. He won't handcuff you to the chair!

Great choice of artist by the way. Do you have an appointment booked yet? I'm in there once a month for the rest of the year so might see you there!
Aiken Drum is offline   Reply With Quote