Old 10-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default Anxiety after tattoo

So I got my first tattoo a few days ago, and have been feel a lot of anxiety about it since.

So a bit of background. This was not an impulsive tattoo by any means. I have wanted a tattoo as long as I can remember, and have always looked at people with tattoos enviously. I thought I would get a tattoo the moment I turned 18 but could never decide what I wanted (am currently in my early twenties.)

I am a big world traveler and am currently living abroad. Once I started traveling I started thinking about getting a tattoo of flowers to represent the places I’ve lived. For the past year I have been thinking about this. I am currently living near Hong Kong, and I found an amazing tattoo parlor and put in a request for an artist. After finalizing details, I had a 4 month waiting period before this tattoo, and never once thought it was a bad idea. I saw a sketch of the flowers a week before the tattoo, and fell in love immediately. I literally saw the sketch for a second and said “it’s perfect,” and was so excited for the tattoo leading up to it. The day of I was nervous, naturally, but went through a 4 hour session and came out with my tattoo of flowers (all with specific meaning) on my shoulder blade.

After the tattoo I felt awful. I think I was expecting to immediately love my tattoo (like I loved the sketch) but I was freaked out to look at my shoulder. I think that I’m a little overwhelmed by how big the tattoo is (yes, I knew it was going to be big after the sketch, but still felt overwhelmed). The tattoo itself is gorgeous, all done in black linework, my artist did a great job. That being said, since I’ve gotten it it still kind of freaks me out when I catch glimpses of the tattoo, and I keep thinking DO I regret this, or is it common to have to get used to a tattoo? I have been thinking about this for SO long, and I think it scares me more that I feel this way after having thought about it for this long.

If you guys have ever experienced mixed feelings or anxiety after a tattoo, or if it’s ever taken time to get used to a tattoo please let me know any advice or stories, anything to help ease my mind!
cookiesncream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:23 PM   #2
Jedi Chat Master

Post tattoo blues.

It's completely normal don't worry. Getting your first big tattoo is always going to take some getting used to. You've completely and permanently changed the way you see yourself and the way you display yourself to others, it can be overwhelming for some! The feeling will soon pass and you'll be desperate to get more tattoos!

Pics of tattoo please :-)
Old 10-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
Jedi Chat Master

Smile

I'm in shenzhen, where in hk did u go for ur tattoo? Tattoo temple? Who was ur artist and yes pics please
ruindasia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:30 PM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

Normal for such a permanent works on your body. Your used to seeing your. Body one way and when it changes .. it can be bothersome at first .

Youll be okay . . Embrace the change and the art your adding to your body !

∅ Pittsburgh

Art××Tattoo××Paint
checkonetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:18 PM   #5
Chatter Box

Default No worries

I agree with everyone else here. I had my first last year and researched few years before I received it and I thought wow it was a lot bigger than I expected and I think this happens to a lot of people , to be able to get the detail a lot of artist will make it a little bigger so it looks better. I have several now and it was the same way on each one. I still remember my wife going I thought you said small tattoo. ( it was 9 hour)
Enjoy your tattoo you thought about it and you decided to get it now Enjoy it.
containerman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

Can you show us some pictures of it

∅ Pittsburgh

Art××Tattoo××Paint
checkonetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #7
Chatter Box

This may sound weird, and it may not apply to you, but I (and some friends who I have talked about this with) have found that sometimes after getting tattoos, and especially bigger ones, the body sort of seems to recognise that it isn't 'natural', and as a result some people can often end up feeling a bit nauseous, anxious or just unsettled whenever they look at it for a couple of days. This never lasts long though! (i'm not sure if this even applies to many people so sorry if it's not something for you, but I'm just saying my own experiences and the experiences of people I personally know)
cd96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:05 PM   #8
Jedi Chat Master

There's a whole thread about this on here, perhaps even more than one - I will check. but yes, totally not unusual to feel this way.
EmmaBemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaBemma View Post
There's a whole thread about this on here, perhaps even more than one - I will check. but yes, totally not unusual to feel this way.
Yeah I remember posting on one - and I managed to find it!

New Tattoo Regret!!!

To the OP - as everyone else is saying. Yes, completely normal. My first one must have taken me a good couple of weeks to get over - it was a real shock.
Now, a couple of years later, I have both arms and chest done and have started on my back.
If you look at the tattoo and think it's gorgeous (which you said you do) then you really have nothing to worry about. Just give it some time.

Last edited by Aiken Drum; 10-06-2015 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Found the old thread!
Aiken Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:44 AM   #10
Chat Virgin

That sucks man. I can't relate myself, I have 15 and have I've always felt great after. Hope you end up feeling better about it.
Thanatopsis is offline   Reply With Quote