Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #321
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to squidgystar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabillyhun View Post
Im dealing with a similar issue at the minute and its not that easy as quite a few dont realise they even have MH issues nevermind being diagnosed by an interfering tattooist haha
you still having problems with your mental colleague?!
If we just took one second and used it to be inspired or to put our self in those people shoes and learn from them rather than trying to compete I Know we would start to understand how beautiful learning is… For we can learn from even the simplest of men. For the true test of self confidence is having the courage to acknowledge, and to be open to new ideas regardless of their source.

www.squidgyart.com
squidgystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 03:10 PM   #322
Banned

Send a message via MSN to rockabillyhun

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidgystar View Post
you still having problems with your mental colleague?!
yes. oh yes. luckily Im not getting the drunk phone calls like my other colleague last nite! ha!
rockabillyhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #323
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennett View Post
No problem only a thought - I have read of initiatives where beauticians and hairdressers have had some simple training and and just been able to say "do you know there is a number you can call" or "there is a local drop in centre.." etc. Nothing against beauty therapists, but.. bugger I cant finish this sentence without offending someone.
although I can see the well intentioned thoughts behind this, it is a horrible, horrible idea. Tattoo has been cleaned up a lot in recent years, but I feel this is taking things too far.
Slybacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 04:45 PM   #324
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to Spikie Pixie Send a message via Yahoo to Spikie Pixie

I'm not convinced that tattooists would want anymore responsibilty than they already have.
I'm also not sure the customer would appreciate their tattooist being so personal. I've never self harmed but I have loads of scars from various things. Any comment regarding them would be met with a swift head butt to the bridge of the tattooists nose!!

In general I think every customer has to be judged (can't think of a better word, sorry) on an individual basis. We have turned away many people of many ages (no idea of their mental health status) as we were not completely sure that they were 100% about what they wanted/where they wanted it or if they even really wanted it at all. Most thank us for this but to have the added resposibility of giving mental health advice would be too much.

As for the article - it all depends on how it done. I have to fight constantly (as do many others) to be seen as normal, even as an equal due to the (very small) amount of coverage I have and I'd hate for that to be made worse.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #325
Magazine Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikie Pixie View Post
As for the article - it all depends on how it done. I have to fight constantly (as do many others) to be seen as normal, even as an equal due to the (very small) amount of coverage I have and I'd hate for that to be made worse.
Thanks all for your comments.
I'd like to think that Skin Deep isn't tarred with the same brush as the tabloids.
We have 28,000 odd 'Tattoo Fan's' reading the magazine each month and I hope to let these readers see that there is something good and sometimes theraputic behind tattoos. (something I'm certain most of the readers already know).
We aren't aimed at 'Joe public' so I'm planning on aiming the article at tattoo collectors so I can't see how this article could be seen to belittle anyone with tatts.

www.tattoojam.co.uk
Old 01-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #326
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to natstats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Nat, Great original post madam.
Here's a question to all on here. What do you think to us putting an article together for Skin Deep using some of the quotes from these pages? No names will be used, only forum monikers as I think this would make fascinating reading for many others who don't get on the forum as we regularly get letters about self-harm and tattoos.
We'd do it as a bit of a 'vox pops' type article.
Waddaya rekon folks?
Any objections?

www.tattoojam.co.uk
Hi Neil

Thanks! I think a well written article with some of the content from this thread would be cool. It's an interesting subject IMO.

I look forward to reading it in SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBean
I kinda don't trust people that don't have a little bit of shit on them somewhere....
natstats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #327
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to Spikie Pixie Send a message via Yahoo to Spikie Pixie

I'm sure the article is gonna be a good read neil. I don't see sd doing anything that would make it's buyers & tattoo fans in general look bad. I think my worry is the good old Miami ink effect. The people that watch that are tattoo fans too but we have twice as many customers (who would have been customers regardless) coming in feeling like they have to justify their ideas as a result. I don't think we're the only studio who is now having to assure people that it's okay to get inked just because you want to and because you think it'll look pretty.

I'm looking forward to Reading it.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #328
Magazine Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikie Pixie View Post
I'm sure the article is gonna be a good read neil. I don't see sd doing anything that would make it's buyers & tattoo fans in general look bad. I think my worry is the good old Miami ink effect. The people that watch that are tattoo fans too but we have twice as many customers (who would have been customers regardless) coming in feeling like they have to justify their ideas as a result. I don't think we're the only studio who is now having to assure people that it's okay to get inked just because you want to and because you think it'll look pretty.

I'm looking forward to Reading it.
Yep, I know where you are coming from Claire.
Old 16-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #329
Chat Virgin

Hi All,

Neil has asked me to write the article referred to in this thread; I have to say it is going to make for some very interesting and thought provoking research.

I'm not going to say too much about it now as I've just finished reading the comments here and have loads of notes to write, but I just wanted to make a promise to treat the subject with the respect and consideration it deserves. I'm a professional writer who just happens to have lots of tattoos so I hope this gives me a platform to write and research from, despite the fact that I have never (knowingly or wittingly) done self harm.

Just so you all know, I wrote the "Tattoo Prejudices" feature in the recent issue (April issue 170??) and I understand that there was lots of positive feedback from you guys. (Both here on this forum and by email). I'd like to thank you all for that and promise you that I'll do my best with this next article too. Given the content, opinions and narratives in this thread it is the least I can do.

I wonder if it is OK for me to contact one or two of you off board to gather more info and detail? I completely understand if I get no reply or a "no thanks!", however, your input would be most appreciated.

Thanks again for the feedback and hope to speak with you all soon.

Regards
TR
tonyreptiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #330
Jedi Chat Master

Send a message via MSN to natstats

Hi Tony

The tattoo prejudices article was great - shame that wasn't in a more mainstream mag too! I'm glad your working on this too.

If I can help I'd be happy to
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBean
I kinda don't trust people that don't have a little bit of shit on them somewhere....
natstats is offline   Reply With Quote