Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default Infected, or possible Allergic Reaction?

Got this coloured on the 13th.
Never had a tattoo this size, so was unsure what to expect with healing. I've noticed since the 14th, there have been some red areas and areas that look a little crusty/yellowish. These areas are only on the blue sections of my tattoo. The blues used included one that most likely had some white in.

I've looked around and it seems a reaction to red and white might be common, but not blue? I'm just unsure if I should go back to the artist or carry on?

I'm healing by wrapping it whilst I'm sleeping for the first few nights, washing it with antibacterial soap a few times a day, and then adding some healing gel specifically recommended by the shop. I know I have a tendency to over-moisturise which can cause rashes and because some of it goes into the ditch I know it's harder to heal as I'm folding it a lot as it gets trapped. I've never had this amount of scabbing before but I've only ever had black line-work done.

It doesn't hurt exceptionally more than sunburned, bruised flesh. It's more painful than my previous tattoos, but the previous work I've done has all been outlines.
There is no discharge.
It does not smell.
It is not raised.
It is a bit yellow.
The whole tattoo is hot, but not exceptionally hot, about as hot as every other tattoo I've had in the past when healing.

I hope you can help as I'm worrying a lot. It's a reputable studio, I trust them, and I spent quite a bit on it.
Something to note is I'm quite sensitive and it bled a lot when I was having it done.

Thought I'd ask before making the trip back to the studio as don't want to bother the artist.

Assorted pictures:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

The bit I'm most concerned about is the circular red 'rash' near the top. It has gone down slightly, is not raised, doesn't smell, and no pus. Am still worried.

If you all could advise, I'd be very grateful, sorry for waffling!
Absolol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
Jedi Chat Master

Doesn't look like normal healing to me. It's almost like eczema. What's the healing cream you have?
Old 16-07-2016, 08:39 PM   #3
Chat Virgin

I started off using ''Tattoo Aftercare Cream"
Tattoo Aftercare - care products. Award winning Skin Care. Est.2000
I used it because my artist warned me that bepanthen's formula has changed and it's making some people have reactions.
I've only been using this, mixed with gentle soap. I'm not sure if I'm meant to use something with an antibacterial effect, too, other than the soap. My plan was to use this until it flaked, then switch to cocoa butter.
This method worked fine in the past. I do have some bepanthen that I'm considering switching to if it could make the process easier. It worked perfectly for my last tattoos.
I have never suffered from eczema on my arms, though I have some on my hands.
The skin is not dry, it is kept moisturised to a light sheen as my artist recommended. I'm just not sure what's up as it seems to be a little angry but isn't showing signs of infection.

I'm thinking it could be because I tend to over-moisturise? I have an issue with spreading out the gel finely enough and perhaps I'm clogging up the pores a bit. My artist recommended to clingfilm/bandage it at night for the first few days, and I feel as though it might be heating up and clogging up at night. My gut feeling is not to do this anymore if it could irritate it more. At the same time I don't want to stop using it and have it dry out, so I've been trying to apply less. Last time I had a bit of a rash that cleared up after I switched to cocoa butter, but I'm not sure if I can do that at this state or if I should switch to bepanthen.

Sorry about the rambling, thanks for the input also!
Old 16-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #4
Chat Virgin

For comparison...

https://gyazo.com/e61d36905563d2617364a49039c8926b

This is around 3 hours after it was done.
Old 16-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #5
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolol View Post
My artist recommended to clingfilm/bandage it at night for the first few days, and I feel as though it might be heating up and clogging up at night.
From experience this is a really bad idea and can help the bacteria fester, the first night is fine but carrying it on just tends to irritate your skin.

That being said it doesn't look that bad, just looks similar to an allergic reaction (to the ink or the moisturizer who knows).

I'd suggest buying bepanthen ointment (it's the cream that tends to make tattoos heal badly) and use solely that until it heals, cocoa butter is good but can dry/irritate your skin depending on the brand.
Odise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #6
Chat Virgin

I have the bepanthen ointment, so I think I will switch to that and see if there is any improvement.
It's just that I haven't really got anything to compare this experience to. It's hurting more than the outline did, but I've had way more solid colour here, so I can't tell if the pain I'm feeling on the 3rd day is worrying or not. It's not excessive and is improving but it definitely still feels bruised and sun-burny and is still warm to the touch. (The whole thing is even.)
Cocoa butter has worked like a dream for me in the past, but never used it on anything this big. It didn't really dry my skin out. It was the palmer's solid formula. I may switch to this if the bepanthen offers no joy... Any recommendation on which is better?
Old 16-07-2016, 10:32 PM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

I am pretty sure that is a heat rash from keeping it wrapped for 2 days (unless you changed the cling film 4-5 times a day) Just let your skin breath and put only a tiny amount of ointment on it.

For top notch artists check out this app!
http://thebragartlist.mobuapps.london/
ThrobbingSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 11:28 PM   #8
Chat Virgin

I was thinking this - I got this last time, but it was more of lots of raised red/white bumps... not this blocky red rash. I'll pop to the studio tomorrow to be sure, but I've not slept with a cover on it for a day or so now. I've been using the bepanthen ointment as per instructions on this post. I'll see what the folks at the studio say. I'll let them be aware of it in case of any dropout that I might need fixing... I can already see an angry red hole in the blue ink.
Old 17-07-2016, 12:38 AM   #9
Chat Slut

The only other cream I'd recommend is Sorry Mom but I'm not sure where you can get that from besides certain tattoo studios.
Odise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 09:42 PM   #10
Chat Virgin

Just a quicky update: A lot of the funny green-ish scabs washed off on their own accord when I showered earlier, leaving the plain ink behind. I feel it's pretty clear it's a heat rash and a reaction to my arm being washed a lot mixed in with some scabbing that happened to occur near the same site, and the blue ink's colour is making it seem worse than it is, in reality it's just some angry red skin mixing with the blue to come off all green. Thanks for everyone's input - it's feeling and looking a lot better so I think it'll heal well. I've noticed some dropout but hopefully the artist will understand after I explain. It had improved so much today that going into the shop seemed a little silly. Thanks again, everyone.