Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2017, 06:28 PM   #1
Rambler

Default First sitting completed - with pics

So I sat for 2.5 hours to get the first portion of my Rose design done. And I definitely could have sat for longer! Totally underestimated myself.

Anyway, bit of background if you didn't see my original post. I found my artist via the BragArtList and felt he was the best artist to tackle the design for my price bracket. I know for more money some other artists could have knocked it out of the park (although I was turned down for the design by some artists including Lianne a couple of years ago at Immortal Ink), but I had to keep the budget sensible. He's 175 for a 3 hour sitting.

I have to say I am really, really pleased with how it's turning out. I so wanted the rose to be okay quality; have good shape and look attractive (not flat or plain), and I feel I've gotten that.
The shape of it as a whole is a little bit lost currently what with it being only half done. I think (and hope!) it will look more balanced once the coloured petals and final elements are added.
Also the overall outline is not finished. We're either going with a thick black outline around the petal edges, or blending out the outline with shading. We're going to wait till it's finished before we decide which would look best. Any advice? I'm thinking shading would suit the design better, and make it easier to add further work if I want to.

Next sitting isn't until August as he's having spinal surgery, but I know I'm happy with it now because I'm showing it off even though it looks rather odd only partly done! If I'd felt embarrassed or ashamed and wanted to hide it away, that would tell me my gut feeling is I'm not happy with it.

So yeah. I know it's not the best work in the world, but for my budget I hope I've managed to get a good bit of work.

Here's some healing pics along with the picture the artist knocked up. The petal next to the gemstone is gonna get a green glow on it which I like the idea of, and I can't wait for the tentacle to be finished! I can't wait for all of it to be finished actually

Last edited by NexivRed; 09-06-2017 at 07:24 PM.
NexivRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:31 AM   #2
Jedi Chat Master

i like how this is turning out. looks great so far, keen to see the finished product.
Dominiccjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:50 AM   #3
Chat Slut

So far so good I like it a lot!! It's actually coming out really good. Don't sell it short it's solid !!
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:01 AM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

Not a huge fan of the design, but the tattoo itself is looking good so far

For top notch artists check out this app!
http://thebragartlist.mobuapps.london/
ThrobbingSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #5
Chatter Box

definitely better than a good portion of the tattoos i see out and about
cd96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #6
Rambler

Thanks for the kind comments, guys No you're right there, the design is not gonna be for everyone. I sometimes wonder if that's the reason I was able to finally pull the trigger!

Looking at it and photos of it I know a couple of routes I'd like the final sitting to take. I want a decent amount of shadow on the inner parts of those coloured petals to properly nestle the centre of the rose amongst them. (The reference image looks unrealistic because of this.)
I know the artist will advise and decide, but in your opinions, do you think that will be best done using darker colours of the same colour pallet, or black/grey?

Also, I think I'm going to prefer a shaded background around the petals to soften the edges. I don't want a hard border as that's too much towards the traditional style for me.

If I can somehow voice these desires to my artist in August, I'm going to be very happy with the result. I'm very bad at asking for what I want though; not very assertive or articulate. He's not going to have a problem with either of these suggestions is he? It's just I'm very aware he said to me "the black and grey is done now" at one point. So I feel bad at the thought of asking for more. But I've got to love it, haven't I.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

I've never micromanaged an artist to the level you are describing. Part of what you are paying the artist for is to use his artistic talent and make decisions about what will make the best tattoo.

Instagram: @greeniedavewood
DGreenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #8
Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGreenwood View Post
I've never micromanaged an artist to the level you are describing. Part of what you are paying the artist for is to use his artistic talent and make decisions about what will make the best tattoo.
That's exactly why I'm hesitant in saying anything. It doesn't feel right to. But if he follows the mock up to the letter and gives no shading where I've mentioned, how will it end up looking? I guess I'd feel better if I knew the shadows were gonna be created via colour, as he said that's all that's left. He did say there'd be about 25 pots of colour next session though, so would that suggest some good depth to come?

I think it's because the design is a collab of digital images rather than his own drawing. But I certainly don't wanna overstep the mark. I have severe micromanaging issues you can tell! But I want to remain polite and respectful.

Last edited by NexivRed; 11-06-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

I'd tell him he doesn't have to stick to the design exactly and he's welcome to make artistic decisions that he feels will make it a better tattoo. And then let him decide how to make it the best tattoo possible.

I don't know you but I'm guessing that you aren't a professional artist or graphic designer? Well this guy is. So let him decide how to make it look as good as possible.

Watch this video from Brandon Bond. I don't agree with everything Brandon says on the internet but I do like what he says in this video.
Video link

If I didn't trust an artist enough to let him make design decisions, I wouldn't let him tattoo me either.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:58 PM   #10
Jedi Chat Master

One more thing. Your design doesn't really show much in the way of shadows, and I'm guessing from the way you are coming off here, you've given him the impression that he should be trying to match the design exactly.

When you go in next time, start off by telling him that he has the freedom to tweak the design to make it better. You could mention more shadows at this point as an example of things he could add but don't tell him exactly where you want them.

Don't worry about the fact that he said he's only got color left to do. If he has 25 colors out next time, one of those colors will be black. So if he wants to do some black and grey shading it won't be a problem.