Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2017, 06:16 PM   #11
Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGreenwood View Post
One more thing. Your design doesn't really show much in the way of shadows, and I'm guessing from the way you are coming off here, you've given him the impression that he should be trying to match the design exactly.

When you go in next time, start off by telling him that he has the freedom to tweak the design to make it better. You could mention more shadows at this point as an example of things he could add but don't tell him exactly where you want them.

Don't worry about the fact that he said he's only got color left to do. If he has 25 colors out next time, one of those colors will be black. So if he wants to do some black and grey shading it won't be a problem.
Thank you for your advice. I think part of the problem is I can draw and paint and do art myself to a certain degree. I presented him with a pencil drawing of the majority of my design, but the image I shared in this thread was his final mock up that he put together digitally. It's clear he's just fit images into petal shapes and I'm pretty sure he won't leave them looking so one dimensional. I'm just a bundle of anxiety about everything in my life due to mental health issues. I need to bloody relax and enjoy my tattoo and the artist I chose, because I do trust him!

You've made some good suggestions on how to proceed with talking about the subject though, which was my main concern. So thank you.
NexivRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:01 PM   #12
Chat Slut

Quote:
One more thing. Your design doesn't really show much in the way of shadows, and I'm guessing from the way you are coming off here, you've given him the impression that he should be trying to match the design exactly.

When you go in next time, start off by telling him that he has the freedom to tweak the design to make it better. You could mention more shadows at this point as an example of things he could add but don't tell him exactly where you want them.

Don't worry about the fact that he said he's only got color left to do. If he has 25 colors out next time, one of those colors will be black. So if he wants to do some black and grey shading it won't be a problem.
I was typing something up, but this pretty much says it all. Don't be afraid to ask questions, but also remember the tattoo is unfinished. You have a session left which should see it done, but most, and I assume yours too) artists will offer a free touch up within so many weeks, so you always have that option too.
The design as you say is a Photoshop mock up, so it won't have the subtleties of a finished piece. Most tattooists are very busy so will do pretty rough mock ups to give you an idea, but they need the freedom to deviate. Trust is the key. Easier said than done sometimes, but with the right artist you're usually fine.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:19 PM   #13
Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
I was typing something up, but this pretty much says it all. Don't be afraid to ask questions, but also remember the tattoo is unfinished. You have a session left which should see it done, but most, and I assume yours too) artists will offer a free touch up within so many weeks, so you always have that option too.
The design as you say is a Photoshop mock up, so it won't have the subtleties of a finished piece. Most tattooists are very busy so will do pretty rough mock ups to give you an idea, but they need the freedom to deviate. Trust is the key. Easier said than done sometimes, but with the right artist you're usually fine.

Thank you. I'll have a word with myself and get back to enjoying this whole process. At the end of the day when you choose an artist, you are announcing you trust them via their past work. Which in this case I do, so I'll get some perspective.

In other news, I can't believe how quickly it's healing! It's at the proper ugly stage right now, cloudy as f*** and peeling like mad. On day 5 now. It's on the right track, yeah?

html image hosting
Old 12-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #14
Chat Slut

Seems to be healing perfectly. The first peel/onion skin stage is the bit where people panic thinking it's not as pretty. It's looking good
You may also have shiny skin, and a second peel when that stuff flakes off. That's normal too. If there's no bad scabs, swelling or redness you're good to go.

Don't pick it.

Don't scratch it.

Don't eat it.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #15
Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
Seems to be healing perfectly. The first peel/onion skin stage is the bit where people panic thinking it's not as pretty. It's looking good
You may also have shiny skin, and a second peel when that stuff flakes off. That's normal too. If there's no bad scabs, swelling or redness you're good to go.

Don't pick it.

Don't scratch it.

Don't eat it.

Can I eat a bit that's fallen off by itself?
Old 12-06-2017, 01:47 PM   #16
Chat Slut

I'll allow it.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:27 PM   #17
Rambler

Actually, using some very small scissors I've carefully trimmed off a few of the larger hanging pieces. I was worried they'd get snagged, possible whilst "wrestling" my toddler, and pull off other scabs they're joined to that aren't ready yet.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:14 PM   #18
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexivRed View Post
Actually, using some very small scissors I've carefully trimmed off a few of the larger hanging pieces. I was worried they'd get snagged, possible whilst "wrestling" my toddler, and pull off other scabs they're joined to that aren't ready yet.
This seems like overkill. With some of your mental health issues that you've been pretty open about, i think you are a prime candidate to cause yourself problems by messing with your tattoo too much while it's healing.

A lot of the aftercare advise you hear is geared toward the majority of the general population who will totally ignore their tattoo once it's complete. They won't keep it clean, they won't keep it dry, they won't keep it moisturized, and they won't keep it out of the sun; which all leads to a shitty healed tattoo. So artists are very vocal toward that demographic so they understand the importance of proper aftercare.

People like you and me are in danger of a different problem. Trying too hard during the healing process can cause just as many problems as not trying hard enough. Just as an example, every single time you touch your healing tattoo you are increasing the odds of introducing an infection (even if you washed your hands). Along those same lines, being overly focused on keeping up with the ointment and lotion can lead to rashes and other symptoms that mimic the look of an infection. Most of the time when people come to this board wondering if their tattoo is infected, it's just over moisturized and irritated from getting too much attention.

I had to really focus on forgetting about my healing tattoos most of the time. I figured out what moisturizing schedule works best for me (about twice a day, which is less often than most people need) and then I do my best to forget about it the rest of the time. I'll try to leave it exposed to the air when I think it's safe, and i'll cover it with loose fitting clothing when I want to protect it. But other than that I forget about it. This was not easy for me but my tattoos have been healing much better since I figured this out.

Instagram: @greeniedavewood

Last edited by DGreenwood; 12-06-2017 at 08:19 PM.
DGreenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #19
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
I had to really focus on forgetting about my healing tattoos most of the time. I figured out what moisturizing schedule works best for me (about twice a day, which is less often than most people need) and then I do my best to forget about it the rest of the time. I'll try to leave it exposed to the air when I think it's safe, and i'll cover it with loose fitting clothing when I want to protect it. But other than that I forget about it. This was not easy for me but my tattoos have been healing much better since I figured this out.
This is exactly what I have taught myself to do lately. I used to treat aftercare like I had to focus on it 24/7 and the more the better but realised it wasn't the case. Leaving it alone seems to be the best thing to do as long as I'm using good products.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:43 PM   #20
Rambler

I've got this tattoo serum that I put on thinly a few times a day, but other than that I've not touched it. No wrapping, no extensive washing, no special treatment. It was just today where a couple of huge, thin flakes of skin that had lifted off by themselves were getting rubbed by my kid when he was near me. I didn't want the proper scabs they led onto to come off.