Old 12-06-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
Rambler

Default Advice for rework.

So my first (second, but tiny finger ones don't count) tattoo was awful. No research, walk in, totally naive that I'd get the design drawn up actually put on my skin by just anyone. And actually the design itself was beautiful. Symmetrical, neat and I was very excited.

However because I knew nothing about tattoos, it was an apprentice that tattooed me. I didn't know this, (not that knowing would have meant anything to me regarding quality), and he executed the design really badly. Bad linework, not symmetrical, pointless shading and white highlights. Basically it's awful.

However, I think it might be able to be reworked rather than needing a cover. But I want someone good. There is a studio in my local town who I approached over this and had a consultation with. The artist is here https://www.instagram.com/p/_nQ8hvIsIy/
I put forward my idea of how I thought it could work and he agreed it'd be possible. But I'm not confident in him. I don't feel he's good enough knowing what I know now.

Who would be a good person to take this to and ask their opinion? I'm in the south of Suffolk so close to Essex, east London, Norfolk. I know of artists nearby like Lianne or Inky Joe who are good, but I need someone who'd be interested in looking at helping me sort this, and I don't think they'd be up for it.

Couple of pics. The bottom one (sorry for quality) was what I showed to the artist regarding how I thought a new wing outline could be created from the crappy...don't know what to call them. Wobbly, shitty droplets lol.
The idea was to go darker and more traditional, potentially with colour and shading to drown out the linework.

What do you guys think? Is this nothing but a laser job? I'm dick of being ashamed of it!

full size image hosting
NexivRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:25 PM   #2
Chat Slut

It depends how big your tattoo is but honestly it looks like you can only really go with laser, adding anything to the moth is just gonna make it look worse, covering it before laser will give you little choice in what you have.

Also that artist you posted doesn't seem to be good at coverups, there isn't much contrast in his work.
Odise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 02:22 AM   #3
Jedi Chat Master

What's the current size? The easiest way to cover something is to cover it with something much bigger.

I don't think what you have now is so horrible that you should be ashamed of it. If it was done by an apprentice, it certainly could be a lot worse.

Instagram: @greeniedavewood
DGreenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 08:21 AM   #4
Rambler

Hey, thanks for the replies.

It's a good 4.5 - 5 inches across at the top of my back. I've tried for a long time to make peace with it, but I hate standing anywhere like in a queue where someone is behind me, and they get a chance to see it up close. Mostly because of how wonky those gem drops are; they're not even the same each side.

I know it's not gonna look as clean as these pieces that were designed from the start, but it's inspiration from the clean, thick black outline, the areas of dark shading to come in from the edges and cover some of the old outlines, and a flash of colour to give some depth and ease the appearance of the wobbly inner linework. Also, a better shadow to lift it off my skin a bit.

What do you think? I know it'll be dark but I don't mind that. Really dark with some blue would make me much happier.

Old 13-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #5
Chat Slut

It's often times the go to answer around here, but if you're really not happy with it a few laser sessions will give you a whole range of options where you won't need to compromise.

From the designs you've chosen I'd say that you'd need to go a lot bigger if you wanted decent colour saturation.
Old 13-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
Need To Get Out More!

Send a message via AIM to rufio Send a message via MSN to rufio

Go with black panther
rufio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 11:58 PM   #7
Rambler

What are your opinions on this artist from the Brag app?

https://m.facebook.com/totek.grichko

He has a coverup folder and I like his colour work. Do you rate him? Worth sending him a message with just the picture of my tattoo as it stands and see what he suggests?
He's worked with some dark stuff so if he comes back and says a rework isn't possible, laser is the only possibility, then I'll definitely know that's my route if I want it to look better than just "okay". I just want to make sure I'm contacting someone good. (I got a council tax rebate today so I'm increasing my budget for this one!)

Open to other suggestions for artists too. Willing to travel a good couple of hours or possibly more.
Old 17-06-2017, 08:25 PM   #8
Rambler

Does anyone have any experience with the artist I mentioned in my previous post? I'm having a hard time contacting him as he only has a Facebook page but doesn't appear to have messenger.

Otherwise I'm still looking for a good artist to try and help me. This is the studio I'm currently hooked on with that I'm having second thoughts about now that I've found this forum: https://www.instagram.com/gunznink_grantknights/
Old 17-06-2017, 09:27 PM   #9
Chat Slut

I think the general consensus has been to laser it and pick someone good. The guy you posted does have experience covering up stuff, but most of us would be looking to get his covers covered up if you get what I'm saying.
You're already very self-conscious of it so why risk having a bigger nightmare on your back? Neither of them would be able to execute the concept art you've posted.

But you're not taking anyone's advice so not sure why I'm even replying

Last edited by nisser; 17-06-2017 at 09:31 PM.
nisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #10
Rambler

Only a couple of people mentioned laser actually, and I know it's always going to be the best option, but it's not like I'm ignoring people drilling it into me that it's the only option.

So I haven't ignored anyone yet because I haven't even decided on what I'm going to do. I wanted all the options available to me. Laser looks really fucking painful so if I can avoid it and still get something good quality and attractive, I want to rule that option out first. Why do you sound so stroppy about it?