Old 29-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default Artist Opinion

Hi all, greetings from Chiang Mai in Thailand.

I'm looking to get my first tattoo and would like your opinion on a shop here. I want a black & grey realistic tattoo covering one side of my chest.

Take a look at the page below and let me know what you think. The artist who does a lot of realistic work is named Aou.

Edit: here's his most recent work in 2017: https://www.facebook.com/pg/053Chemi...95460613986020

https://www.facebook.com/pg/053Chemi...=page_internal

Also, I've noticed that some of their realistic portrait tattoos have shading that looks a little spotty and not super smooth. I'm just wondering if that's meant to be the style to give a rougher, more vintage look or if it's a skill issue. I've attached a photo below showing one of their tattoos beside another one I found on Instagram that looks very smooth.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Artist Opinion-img_0123.jpg  

Last edited by blond; 02-08-2017 at 07:23 AM.
blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 06:14 PM   #2
Jedi Chat Master

A couple notes:

1. I prefer my tattoo shop and barber shop to be separate places. That has to present so infection control issues.

2. Those photos show a lot of whip shading, which is just another technique for shading. It seems like a lot of B&G artists these days are achieving their shading using grey wash saturation instead of whip shading. I don't know if one is "better" than the other, it's just a stylistic choice. Grey wash saturation will tend to look a lot smoother when it's fresh or when viewed up close, but when it's healed and you are viewing from at least a few feet away, I"m not sure most people would be able to tell the difference.

3. I think a lot of that severe shading you are noting is on fresh tattoos. That will all soften up when it heals, regardless of whether it's whip shading or grey wash saturation.

But I'm not a tattoo artist so I'm probably full of shit on all of that.

Instagram: @greeniedavewood
DGreenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
Chat Slut

I think the smoothness definitely comes down to skill, personally it's one of the things I really look for in a bng artist but everyone's different.

The guy you've found seems like a solid bng realism artist, not amazing, but pretty decent. The piece you found on instagram is by Martin Hansen who's one of the best bng artists on the planet, his work is super smooth and you'll be hard pushed to find anybody who can get anywhere close to that without travelling a bit.

If you're looking for a decent bng artist who will do a decent job he's probably a good shout, if you're looking for a world class artist who's work looks anything like the piece you found on instagram he's probably not the guy. Just depends what you're after buddy, but his work looks reasonably solid to me
jackf91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 08:10 PM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

Bamboo man down in Bangkok is excellent. I saw this exact piece up close when he was visiting for the Singapore convention. He only does handpoke. Incredible would be an understatement. https://www.instagram.com/p/BRp4UmLDGpu/ it was super quick too, sleeve took about 40 odd hours.
Dominiccjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 08:29 PM   #5
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackf91 View Post
I think the smoothness definitely comes down to skill, personally it's one of the things I really look for in a bng artist but everyone's different.

The guy you've found seems like a solid bng realism artist, not amazing, but pretty decent. The piece you found on instagram is by Martin Hansen who's one of the best bng artists on the planet, his work is super smooth and you'll be hard pushed to find anybody who can get anywhere close to that without travelling a bit.

If you're looking for a decent bng artist who will do a decent job he's probably a good shout, if you're looking for a world class artist who's work looks anything like the piece you found on instagram he's probably not the guy. Just depends what you're after buddy, but his work looks reasonably solid to me
Does Martin Hansen have an Instagram account? Can't seem to find him.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #6
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthesehills View Post
Does Martin Hansen have an Instagram account? Can't seem to find him.
http://instagram.com/raimomartitattoo
jackf91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 10:02 PM   #7
Chatter Box

Quote:
Awesome thank you!
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 10:29 PM   #8
Jedi Chat Master

I was like who the neck is Martin Hansen lol

For top notch artists check out this app!
http://thebragartlist.mobuapps.london/
ThrobbingSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 11:18 PM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

Lol, I did the same thing. I thought his name was Raimo!

Instagram: @greeniedavewood
DGreenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #10
Chat Slut

Quote:

+1

His older stuff from 2014 is patchy but his more recent work is solid.
Odise is offline   Reply With Quote