Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #21
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGreenwood View Post
When this happens to me I ease up on the moisturizing and it clears right up. My bet is that you are overdoing it because it's your first tattoo and you want it to heal well. I used to moisturize 4 or 5 times a day and now I'm down to 2. That seems to be perfect for me and my healing has been drama free.

Or I could have just said listen to ThrobbingSausage. He pretty much nailed it. I used to think it was bad to let it dry out too much but too dry is way better than too moist.
I've really only had been putting salve on it 2-3 times a day but i think I messed up by not switching from vitalitree tattoo salve to lubriderm earlier and that has clogged my pores.

I literally have a dozen white head pimples scattered around my piece that I'm just leaving alone and hoping they heal in the next few days....im just going to wash with soap and let it dry heal and see if that doesn't help. The piece looks like it's otherwise healed for the most part and looks nice minus the pimples
SDTattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #22
Jedi Chat Master

Even if you are only doing 2-3 times a day, you may be putting on too much and not realizing it. I thought I was putting it on sparingly but would have those breakouts and had to dial it back even more.

I bet it'll clear up quickly once you let it dry out. If it does, you know it's because you overdid the aftercare.

I switch from aquafor (or tattoo aftercare) to lubriderm when it starts to peel. The aquafor and aftercare products tend to be thicker and trying to spread it on peeling skin would risk pulling off the peels. So that's my easy trigger to switch to the lubriderm which is much easier to spread in a very thin layer.

*note: the thicker products like aquafor and most aftercare products will spread easier if you let them warm up in your hand for a while. Maybe even work it around in your hand a bit until it thins out. This will make it much easier to do a super thin layer.

A great artist is more important than a great idea. If you aren't sure how to find one, use this app: The Brag Art List app

"Plenty of super talented artists who don't have the technique to make their ink hold or last". -ThrobbingSausage
DGreenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #23
Chatter Box

So my skin is super dry and ashy after washing it with soap but I think the majority of the big peeling is done.

I'm using no lotion today to see if that helps clear things up. I should have switched to lubriderm much earlier...i think I clogged my pores with the heavier stuff

The pimples shouldn't affect the ink itself though right?
Old 07-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #24
Jedi Chat Master

Probably not but it's not impossible that they could cost you some ink. Just don't pick at them and then wait and see. You'll know one way or another soon enough.

You've heard us tell lots of people to relax and wait to see how it heals. That probably seemed easy but now you are seeing that it's not!

A great artist is more important than a great idea. If you aren't sure how to find one, use this app: The Brag Art List app

"Plenty of super talented artists who don't have the technique to make their ink hold or last". -ThrobbingSausage
DGreenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:31 PM   #25
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougal View Post
11 days in and it is still there. I look like i have a weird suntan
I had the same reaction when I used it. It will go away. Just give it a while.
oboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #26
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDTattoo View Post
So my skin is super dry and ashy after washing it with soap but I think the majority of the big peeling is done.

I'm using no lotion today to see if that helps clear things up. I should have switched to lubriderm much earlier...i think I clogged my pores with the heavier stuff

The pimples shouldn't affect the ink itself though right?
If by pimples you mean them little whitehead things, then no they wont affect the ink. Bastard things seem to stay for an eternity though, i've still got some on a tattoo i had done over a year ago. I ended up popping most of them.
Muddyoioi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:23 PM   #27
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddyoioi View Post
If by pimples you mean them little whitehead things, then no they wont affect the ink. Bastard things seem to stay for an eternity though, i've still got some on a tattoo i had done over a year ago. I ended up popping most of them.
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. A lot of mine are drying out and going away, slowly.....I've seen a couple new ones pop up but at a much slower rate. I hope they are all gone in the next few weeks..I've resisted not popping them so far
Old 09-09-2017, 08:46 PM   #28
Chat Virgin

They started annoying me so i went at them with a needle (probably not the best idea). Apart from being unsightly I think they're harmless, alough i have no idea what causes them.
Muddyoioi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:08 PM   #29
Chat Slut

Has this cleared up OP?