Old 14-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #1
Chatter Box

Default Crossing the Rubicon

When did it get like this? I know people have been saying for ages how tattoos have been losing their "outlaw" status and perhaps that ship sailed years and years ago. But in recent months I can't help feeling just how... "normal" tattoos are. Like everyday, normal, ubiquitous... And I'm not just talking about small wrist/ankle tattoos but major work on professional people.

I have seen tattoos on three teachers at my son's small primary school, including the headmaster. I just cannot fathom ever seeing a tattoo on a teacher when I was at school in the eighties. At my daughter's nursery one of the staff has her hands tattooed... I go to the gym and see countless well-to-do looking mums with half sleeves... and the men without tattoos are probably in the minority.

No one bats an eyelid.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that tattoos are so accepted in the UK these days that they are no longer "job stoppers" in the traditional sense. And more and more tattoos means that the quality is driven up both in terms of the general standard and, of course, at the top end. But part of me also is a bit sad that they are so normalised that there is just no... er... "reaction" any more. No shock(?). No wow.

Any thoughts?
TheRevJimJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 01:34 PM   #2
Chat Virgin

I thought something similar the other day...
I work for.... A department store well known for being prim and proper and old style ....the past year the staff have been allowed to show tattoos that are non offensive, also not on the hands or neck ( although I've seen a few!) and no one seems to notice . before this would have been seen as totally unacceptable on the shop floor but its pretty much the norm now....
Allthegoodnameshavegone. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #3
Mumbler

True that tattoos are now normalised but I still think people who have good/great tattoos are still the minority. Mediocre/bad tattoos no reaction but to see someone with a well thought out tattoo that's done well I still can't help but stare.
Elis111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 02:53 PM   #4
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elis111 View Post
True that tattoos are now normalised but I still think people who have good/great tattoos are still the minority. Mediocre/bad tattoos no reaction but to see someone with a well thought out tattoo that's done well I still can't help but stare.
I don't completely agree. Although you do inevitably still see bad tattoos (yes, a lot of bad tattoos!), I think that the average standard of new tattoos has increased markedly recently.

For example, portrait tattoos that would have seemed stand-out amazing five or ten years ago are now (relatively) two a penny. Portrait tattoos that are world class today may be rare, but the ones that you do see are far better than what even the best would have been a few years back, if you know what I mean?
TheRevJimJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 04:25 PM   #5
Chat Virgin

I'm in the states, so maybe my viewpoint is a little shifted, but at least over here I don't see tattoos as ubiquitous. I definitely have seen them on some professionals, such as nurses that my mom manages or some of my coworkers (in software dev), but overall I still don't see it as the bulk. Tons of people in software have tattoos, so it definitely skews how I see it, but I don't really ever see neck or hand tattoos in public.

I'm also 50/50 on the whole bad vs good tattoos out about thing. I definitely think I see color done way better and I think tattoo artists as a whole are improving on technique, but in the US the market is saturated and so you get a lot of artists who learned how to tattoo but not how to draw. I see a lot of terrible peonies or random subject matter with artists claiming their style is "new school" in an effort to excuse their lack of knowledge of subject anatomy.
Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 07:41 PM   #6
Mumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRevJimJones View Post
I don't completely agree. Although you do inevitably still see bad tattoos (yes, a lot of bad tattoos!), I think that the average standard of new tattoos has increased markedly recently.

For example, portrait tattoos that would have seemed stand-out amazing five or ten years ago are now (relatively) two a penny. Portrait tattoos that are world class today may be rare, but the ones that you do see are far better than what even the best would have been a few years back, if you know what I mean?
Yeah that makes sense. It's probably to do with the area I'm in which is outside the city in a not so great area; so I see a lot of completely awful ones. Whereas if I take the tube I see some good/mediocre tattoos.

Last edited by Elis111; 14-09-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Elis111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 08:38 PM   #7
Chat Slut

Send a message via AIM to rufio Send a message via MSN to rufio

i live in amsterdam. I dont see that many tattoos. the ones i do see are bad, some really bad.
rufio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 10:43 PM   #8
Chat Slut

They are more common than they used to be, but I don't know that many people with them. I know very few people who have as many as I do. I am referred to as "the girl with all the tattoos" in my office. Everyone comes to me with tattoo questions, thinking they will get one. They rarely do. I work with a couple of guys who have quite a few, but they are definitely not "everywhere" here.
oboogie is offline   Reply With Quote