Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #1
Mumbler

Default Question about buying a design and asking another artist to do it

Hey,

I'm completely in love with a sailor moon design from a really small tattoo artist in Korea, it's just a drawing she has (she posts a lot) but unfortunately she never leaves Korea and even in Korea she's really out of the way of the main cities.
I'm not sure the etiquette but in the tattoo world how would it be looked upon if I messaged asking (and saying why = the distance etc) if it was possible to pay her whatever she liked for the design and ask if it's possible to pay her for a design that I could bring into a shop to have put on me

Is this extremely rude?
I really love the sketch and it's really the only way I could think to get it done
HarlemThorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:09 PM   #2
Chat Slut

90% of artists would be fine with that to be honest.

Most people wouldn't even have the courtesy to contact the creator and offer to buy it so it says alot about your character which is a good thing.

I say do it.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:32 PM   #3
Jedi Chat Master

Agreed, worst that can happen is they say no. Go for it.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:55 PM   #4
Jedi Chat Master

I was expecting the worst after reading the thread title but I understand your quandary. Is there any way you could use the sketch as reference and let your chosen artist do something similar? Otherwise at least you're showing respect to the artist so it can't to any harm to contact them.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:47 AM   #5
Mumbler

Thanks for the replies everyone, I feel less bad about asking now. I really hope she doesn't get offended, she seems to like drawing so maybe it was just an idea she had and would be flattered I'd like to buy it from her - fingers crossed she's okay with it!

@unkempt27 - Sadly not really, it's sailor moon related so it's already very hard to do their own thing in relation to her picture
The different thing about this sketch is how she's inverted the colors and made it look kinda creepy - there's definitely some stuff i'd add onto it but as for changing it, it just wouldn't be the same

Anyone have any ideas of anywhere in London that would do a good job with this if i'm able to get permission to buy the design?
https://scontent-lhr3-1.cdninstagram...32443904_n.jpg
HarlemThorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:20 AM   #6
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemThorne View Post
Hey,

unfortunately she never leaves Korea and even in Korea she's really out of the way of the main cities.
I'm confused. This says she's in Itaewon. The last time I was in Korea Itaewon was right in the middle of Seoul. Did they move it? If not, figure out a way to go to Seoul so she can do the tattoo. It's a great place to visit and will make for an epic memory.
DGreenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:45 AM   #7
Jedi Chat Master

I think you can do a lot better to be honest. You live in London right? Short trip to Dublin to visit Isnard Barbosa in Dublin Ink (Books Open in April)

He would absolutely destroy a sailor moon piece.

I understand you like that design but itís a pretty simple design. You could use it as a reference along with other sailor moon pieces and ask Isnard to design something for you.

Trust me, he would do something 100 times better than that design. Just my two cents.

https://www.instagram.com/isnardbarbosa
Old 05-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #8
Jedi Chat Master

^
What he said! Take that drawing to a an artist like Barbosa and you will walk away with something better than you could have hoped for, guaranteed.

If you are set on that exact image then you already have the design, which is pretty basic and could be knocked up by any number of tattoo artists in London.

I don't see why you have to buy the design either, people copy tattoos all the time (not saying that it is right, but it happens A LOT)
Jayman1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:01 AM   #9
Chat Slut

That is level 1 art there, any half decent artist could make that on his/her lunch break.

Take that too a good artist and say i'm after something like this on steroids and you will have a way better piece.