Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2018, 07:49 AM   #1
Mumbler

Default How can I make this look better?

I agreed to get a tattoo with my daughter. Long story short I made two mistakes. First was not learning anything about the artist second was agreeing to the drawing that was totally different than my idea photo I brought in.

Third thing was he suddenly started adding shading which i never wanted and I was too shy to speak up.

This is still healing but i hate it. It’s too big and too dark. I would just get it removed but it has a meaning and it matches my daughter’s. So, can I add white to make it less dark? Add color to make it cuter? I’m already going to add antennae but it needs more help. Any suggestions? I’ll show the style I was going for and what I have.

Here is my tattoo about 3 weeks old, still a bit raised

And here was the original picture I brought in for an idea.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by krithagis; 01-02-2018 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Typo
krithagis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
Chat Slut

Original pic was not showing up. Here is the poster's tattoo:

Don't think you're going to be able to make that any lighter. And if you add to it to make it more "feminine" then I don't think you're going to draw any less attention to it because it's going to be bigger and darker. Please don't try just adding more and more bits in the hope it will magically get better, it won't!

In my opinion you have three options (stop me if you think you've heard this one before...)

1) live with it - it's really not that big and it it has sentimental meaning to you and your daughter then just love it for this and accept it's not the perfect tattoo that you originally planned

2) laser

3) cover-up (possibly in conjunction with 2 above) - I think that even without any laser you could cover this quite easily with something really beautiful, like some colourful floral work. You'd need to accept that you're going to have to go quite a lot bigger and the matching with your daughter aspect is going to be lost though.
TheRevJimJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #3
Chat Slut

PS. it goes without saying that if you go for a cover-up then first research your artist thoroughly. And ask for lots of advice on here as to where to go.
TheRevJimJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
Mumbler

Thanks so much. I was afraid of that. I thought maybe somehow we could add white to it to make it brighter. Definitely was hoping for something way more feminine, but I knew nothing about tattoos before this and should've done way more homework. I am adding the antennae though because I just think butterflies need antennae. I might just have to get another more feminine butterfly just for myself somewhere else.

Today is the first day I've worn shorter sleeves and I'm waiting for someone to notice it at work. I'm in IT so it's OK to have tattoos but I know I'll feel better once my greatest fear of everyone pointing and saying oh my gosh that's so BIG, and DARK, and . . .

Thanks,
Christine
Old 01-02-2018, 04:37 PM   #5
Mumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRevJimJones View Post

1) live with it - it's really not that big and it it has sentimental meaning to you and your daughter then just love it for this and accept it's not the perfect tattoo that you originally planned

2) laser
Also, I carefully broached the subject with my daughter hoping she'd say sure have it removed and get another one similar. . .she was upset just at the start of the conversation so I aborted that conversation. I don't want to hurt her; we've been talking about doing something for a few years. She just turned 18. I also wish we'd gotten it somewhere a little less visible. She still hasn't decided what career she's going to have, and I hope it doesn't hurt her. I did do a practice coverup with makeup so if I ever have a big meeting in the summer at work I can cover it with makeup and feel a little less obvious. For some reason hers doesn't look as dark and it's even smaller even though she had the same one put on her skin. I'm older of course so I guess my skin just stretched more.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:35 PM   #6
Chatter Box

It will definitely lighten up over time.

White ink typically does not last long, but it could help add some contrast.

Short of laser, I think a high quality tattoo artist “might” be able to rework that a bit to make it more appealing. It would not hurt to seek out some consultations. We can assist further if needed, especially with picking out the right artist.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:41 PM   #7
Mumbler

Thanks! I want something adjusted but don't want to change it so much that it will hurt my daughter. I am hoping that it will lighten a bit after it heals. Right now the black is still raised up. It was only done 3 weeks ago.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:25 PM   #8
Mumbler

A friend of mine suggested that maybe turning it into a watercolor tattoo would be good. A splash or two of color inside it and then some color around it too. What do y’all think?
Old 04-02-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

If it's only three weeks since the tattoo, give it some time and let it settle and see how you feel about it in a couple of months. I don't think you should add anything to it if you're unsure, you'll literally be making your problem bigger. Water colour tattoos are lovely but I'm not sure how that would work with your tattoo as it is.

It sounds like you weren't sure about the artist that you visited. How about researching some other artists and sharing their work with your daughter? See if she comes to the same conclusion as you, that would make things easier.

A cover would be easier than laser, but the tattoo you cover it with will need to be bigger than what you've got already.

Someone like Dom Wiley could cover it. I don't know where you live but he's in Manchester. This tattoo is on my sister-in-law and it's healed up beautifully.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BX5usYbH...by=domwileyart

Also someone like Iain Sellar, based in Bristol:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSA65H7h...-by=iainsellar
Old 04-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #10
Chatter Box

That could work....ultimately it would make the tattoo bigger and It sounds like you’re already a bit self conscious about the size. Plus if you’re still not happy afterwards, the colour makes it that bit harder to remove with laser should you decide to take that route.

I’m wondering if you’re experiencing some tattoo regret....it’s only been 3 weeks....my advice would be to leave it for a few weeks. Try to stop analysing, forget about it and then have another look with fresh eyes once time has passed and the tattoo has settled into your skin.

You might have a clearer idea which direction you want to take then. If you come back here we can help you better with options.

Last edited by Mostincrediblyawesome; 04-02-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Mostincrediblyawesome is offline   Reply With Quote