Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
Chat Slut

Default Finally finished my back piece with Jondix ~ Write up of journey + Pics

Soo it's finally over, I made a thread last year after my first session inquiring if it was going to be this bad all the way through, I really struggled with the outlining and had no idea what I was getting into to be honest. Here's the thread...

Started my back piece today with Jondix, please tell me the shading is easier!

Before it all began, terrible pic of me hungover but needed it

First session

Blurred out my right arm because it is my Ryan Evans project and wanna reveal it when it is done

This was horrendous, I guess I was naive, I have some tats on my arms and a few on my legs and figured 'how bad can it be'? Well the moment that needle touched my skin I knew what pain was, I felt like I was being cut open alive and honestly can't imagine fling worse pain infact I regretted starting the piece to begin with and even got Jondix stressed out with how much I was whining and tensing up.

I was terrified to say the least for my next sessions but being not one to give up, I just kept envisioning the end when it would be done and I would have a full piece off of one of my favourite artists which was a dream to start with.

Second session

Tomas Tomas working in the background on a great girl who had come all the way from California!! And she was only 23 like me! I thought I was dedicated travelling 1 hour 30 mins on the train

Second was just as bad if not worse, we did all the solid blacks so mouth, nose, eyes and side details and my god the mouth was 9.5/10 for pain, just morbid and this shook me because I was really banking it was gonna be easier.

Jondix did say he uses a big needle he made himself to get alot of black ink in fast and he is definately heavy handed this he admitted himself so it was brutal to say the least, after this session I said I was ready to give up but I calmed down luckily.

Third session

Now the tide turns!! Jondix admitted to me that the first two are by far the worst as they are rough lines and heavy blacks but now we start creating the piece and doing shading around the face.

What a difference! Not only do you start to see the skull really taking shape now but I sat a good 5-6 hours and my spirits and motivation were so lifted, for the first time I couldn't wait to get back into the seat and carry on with this monster on my back and that was huge because as you know this tattoo game is all mental if you ain't mentally ready you are screwed.

Fourth session

My favourite session, you know when you go to the artist and he is just having a great day and is super motivated to do something special? This was one of them days. We was working on the top of the skull or the brain and I said I wanted to expand and go up onto my neck and make it more crazy he absolutely loved this and started getting crazy with his marker pen creating. We also added the ornaments under the eyes.

Jondix is the most creative person I have ever met he never stops adding and changing, he creates these crazy patterns and details on the fly just from his imagination, anyone who has been to his shop will tell you it is a museum of the imagination and it is just beautiful.

This session flowed so beautifully and the skull just transforms and I was getting so excited to see how it was gonna look finished. One of the best tattoo days of my life this one.

The fifth and final session

Well I didn't actually know this was gonna be the end, I thought we would have a sixth but he is unbelievably busy until January so in his words 'I need you to be tough today' Greaaaaat

We did all the details now, shadowing, nose, teeth, ornaments,shading etc. The teeth were murder and the lower details, it is just horrendous pain down there I will never forget.

But my god seeing it come to a close was amazing, as he touched things up and does the details it was coming to life. We did a good 5-6 hours and it was complete he was soo happy as was I.

I am so happy with how it came out, it is asif he was inside my head with how he did it, I wanted it dark/evil and almost sadistic in it's expression and I feel he captured it perfectly with the fangs and powerful eyes. I feel a real connection to this piece and I am so proud to wear it forever.

It was emotional coming to the end of the journey, you build a bond with your artist and through the pain you come to appreciate the art and moment, you earn this shit and not many can do it but that's what makes us extreme tatted people special. In a weird way I miss the pain, itching, stress and especially Jondix.

So in conclusion yes it was tough but so, so worth it and i'd say to anyone out there who wants a huge back piece with that special artist, get on the email, show them your passion and do it! Embrace the whole journey and you will be rewarded with something that is special in the end!

I have a video but not sure how to put it in here?

Anyway thanks for reading and hope you enjoy the write up! Ya'll are responsible for getting me into tattooing this far so I gotta share this stuff

Ryan Evans story pending

Last edited by portraitofcurcelli; 28-02-2018 at 12:49 AM.
portraitofcurcelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 11:56 AM   #2
Jedi Chat Master

What a journey, thatís beautifully done. Looks savage, so detailed yet so bold. Well done mate, must have been hard to push through but more than worth it in the end!
Old 25-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #3
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhine View Post
What a journey, thatís beautifully done. Looks savage, so detailed yet so bold. Well done mate, must have been hard to push through but more than worth it in the end!
Thanks buddy

I got to see myself pushed to the absolute limit indeed but regret nothing.
Old 25-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #4
Chat Slut

Send a message via AIM to rufio Send a message via MSN to rufio

What a story! and damn what an awesome tattoo.
rufio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
Jedi Chat Master

incredible, i would be very happy to wear something like that. backpieces are tough!
Dominiccjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #6
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufio View Post
What a story! and damn what an awesome tattoo.
Thank you
Old 25-02-2018, 12:19 PM   #7
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominiccjs View Post
incredible, i would be very happy to wear something like that. backpieces are tough!
Thanks buddy, seeing your master piece in creation motivated to do this write up and gave me the courage to get the final session done!

The end session is a whirlwind of emotions as you'll find out soon!
Old 25-02-2018, 12:21 PM   #8
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by portraitofcurcelli View Post
Thanks buddy, seeing your master piece in creation motivated to do this write up and gave me the courage to get the final session done!

The end session is a whirlwind of emotions as you'll find out soon!
Dan will be completing the rest of body, so we've got ways to go! I hope to have my front covered as well but it maybe an impossible project, got lots of work that needs covered.

I can't wait till my back's done though, nothing like seeing it come together.
Old 25-02-2018, 12:23 PM   #9
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominiccjs View Post
Dan will be completing the rest of body, so we've got ways to go! I hope to have my front covered as well but it maybe an impossible project, got lots of work that needs covered.

I can't wait till my back's done though, nothing like seeing it come together.
Hope it goes to plan for you!

I'm doing my front soon i think just designing stuff and seeing what direction to go in.

The pain will be bad I know but with tramadol we can do anything!
Old 25-02-2018, 12:56 PM   #10
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by portraitofcurcelli View Post
Hope it goes to plan for you!

I'm doing my front soon i think just designing stuff and seeing what direction to go in.

The pain will be bad I know but with tramadol we can do anything!
just not 400mg