Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2018, 11:20 PM   #21
Jedi Chat Master

it’s like what that guy said in the video “we all want to look like what we envisioned in our heads” and he’s not wrong. the kind tattoos or body modifications should not alter your perception of him. do you have to like what he does, no. but to judge him based on his personal choices that doesn’t not affect you or anyone else around him is hypocritical.
Dominiccjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:38 AM   #22
Jedi Chat Master

Just the idea of a dude with no medical qualifications - and most likely called something like Skins or Bungle - slicing my tongue with a scalpel...
Old 06-03-2018, 01:10 AM   #23
Jedi Chat Master

https://www.instagram.com/xbriandeckerx

brian decker does a lot of cool mods! i always wanted to get branded/cauterized
Dominiccjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:34 AM   #24
Rambler

just read one news about the 'Dragon lady',Eva Tiamat Medusa who has her nose re-shaped, teeth removed, her tongue bifurcated and eyes tattooing. although i keep negative attitude on such kind of extrem body mods, but it's his life. afterall like Lolly123 said ' It's very hard to quantify the motivation and drive and understanding of personal choices, especially when it's not yours.'

https://foronetattoo.blogspot.com/
tmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:38 PM   #25
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRevJimJones View Post
My problem is all the above quotes imply more than just distaste for someone's aesthetic choice, but rather highlight that you are making sweeping generalisations about the mental health of people that you have never met and, really, know nothing about.

If you'd begun with "this Brutal Black stuff, I really don't like the way if looks" and "I don't understand the motivation for someone to get their tongue split" then fair enough, you're starting a debate. Buy instead you wade straight in with the comments about "freaks", "mentally ill", "attention seeking", "junkies" - it's all just classic knee-jerk closed-mindedness and prejudice. And it is especially not the language or attitudes I'd expect from someone who clearly appreciates tattooing and is writing on a forum for tattoo enthusiasts.

I'll give you a final comparison: I think that you might have stretched ears yourself (and even if you don't, I'm sure many people on here do). Twenty years ago you would have looked to the general public like a freak of the first order walking around with large earlobes. Today fewer people will bat an eyelid but doubtless many still will refer to people with stretched ears as "freaks", "mentally ill", "attention seeking", "junkies... So, are they any more right to do so?
This +++++^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly123 View Post
However, I've met tons of people with personality disorders, body dysmorphia, schizophrenia, depression and other mental illnesses that look like your average Joe next door. It's really impossible to tell and mental illness does not discriminate. It's very hard to quantify the motivation and drive and understanding of personal choices, especially when it's not yours.

Overall, if you're talking about society, I think there is a scale of fucked-ness which I think we're all on and like others have said, your version of acceptable is going to be wildly different to others. Maybe you're trying too hard to understand something that you never will? And I don't mean that as an insult because I will never truly understand why someone would choose to tattoo their whole body black, but at the same time, it doesn't bother me one iota.
And This ^^^

Along with tattoos not be masculine enough, or being feminine.
I've worked in mental health for 30 years the vast majority having no tattoos or body mods. Also I know people who have replaced self harm with that tattoos to hide their self harm and replace it with a different form of harm. Either way I would never judge someone's mental health based on looks.
I have some amazing tattoos but some non tattoo'd have called me ,'crazy' for getting them.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:48 PM   #26
We Are Not Worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulpB View Post
Along with tattoos not be masculine enough, or being feminine.
I've worked in mental health for 30 years the vast majority having no tattoos or body mods. Also I know people who have replaced self harm with that tattoos to hide their self harm and replace it with a different form of harm. Either way I would never judge someone's mental health based on looks.
I have some amazing tattoos but some non tattoo'd have called me ,'crazy' for getting them.
I think it takes a special type of person to witness the extraordinary difficulties of those suffering with mental illness on a daily basis whilst maintaining your own. All credit to you for such a lengthy career in mental health.
Lolly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:58 AM   #27
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly123 View Post
I think it takes a special type of person to witness the extraordinary difficulties of those suffering with mental illness on a daily basis whilst maintaining your own. All credit to you for such a lengthy career in mental health.
Thank you. It's been challenging and stressful at times and so rewarding at others.
Old 23-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #28
Jedi Chat Master

Interesting post

https://instagram.com/p/BgZjmKFAGfQ/
Old 24-03-2018, 03:28 AM   #29
Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwlssptrck View Post
the brutal black project is still not accepted widely now. and most people do not treat it as an art

https://foronetattoo.blogspot.com/
tmart is offline   Reply With Quote