Go Back   Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum > Tattoo Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2018, 12:06 PM   #21
Jedi Chat Master

It's completely normal to feel like this at first. It's just your mind having a bit of a panic. You'll get over it

IT IS AN AWESOME TATTOO!

You will love it. Just gotta remember, Sewp is the artist not you. Trust him. He's amazing. His art is beautiful. Now you have it on you. The reason you went to an artist is because he can do stuff like this. If you wanted a carbon copy of what you had in your head you can go to any person and end up with a mediocre tattoo. This one was created by a talented artist. It's not suposed to be exactly how you pictured it because it came from the artist's mind.

It's amazing and yes expensive but I think it was money well spent. Be damn proud of it.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:50 PM   #22
Chatter Box

Just seen your tattoo. It’s awesome. I love it. Hope today has gone well. Please keep us posted.
Mostincrediblyawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:08 PM   #23
Chat Slut

Hey man just want to say as frustrating as it is, I think everyone's been there. I felt that way about my chest when I first got it, being OCD about it lining up perfectly. But slowly you will learn to love it for what it is. I think some of is that we view all these dope pictures on Instagram all day to the point where some people think that when they view their own tattoo it should look as high quality as the pictures on Insta. Unfortunately, that's not how to world works, it's just like how models pose to accentuate certain aspects of their body.

Appreciate what you have, which is a solid tattoo in a style that you like by an artist who does it well. Most people don't even have tattoos with 1 of those 3 traits. It takes time, especially with such a permanent decision, but you will come to like it I promise.

I mean hella, I have more of me covered than most and I still feel like I need more because I just look like a poser. It's an identity thing, but don't think you are the only one who goes through it.

And mediocre artists can't do great tattoos, no matter how great your idea is." -D. Greenwood
Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:54 PM   #24
Mumbler

Long ass reply incoming, sorry - I just wanted to cover everything everyone said!

We managed to get two more pieces onto it today, I definitely felt better about it today - I pushed my thoughts a bit more instead of of being super passive and it worked a lot better. We originally talked about a wolf, but I was on the side of doing a soft / weird / cute one like this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVDiI7Pldke/?taken-by=sewp

But in the end I mentioned maybe changing to a fox to suit more of what I was thinking, sewp was totally interested in the idea and had a really good idea he was stoked on soon after I mentioned it. I was really happy with it, slightly bummed it wasn’t a full body fox, but then again i never mentioned that and i’m pretty sure with how I am as a person i’m always gonna find /something/ to pick at, especially because it’s my first tattoo
(So really don’t wanna come across as a whiney bitch lmao)
It tied perfectly tho, somehow without planning the fox fit next to the top piece PERFECTLY, and the part at the bottom fit in really well too

-

I decided against asking for anymore drips / tears added to the face, I decided that over the coming months, if I still feel like that i’ll bring it up at a later time. I just wanted it to look sadder and slightly more covered as the face was actually based on a random old picture of a japanese woman, but kinda looks like a woman with african features (I’m literally complaining about how detailed the face is, I know it’s insane lol)

Definitely Dan, I had 5 months to look at sewps work and pick my favourite bits and pieces and had an image in my head that although ‘perfect’ wasn’t realistic as it was just cherry picking bits from old work.
I think it’s just first tattoo blues and i’m the kind of awfully OCD person (doesn’t help that I do actually have OCD haha) that will pick apart anything rather than enjoy it. 

Everyone being so nice about it / enjoying it is helping though - I even had someone who had one of the pieces I really loved messaged me to say they wish they had mine instead, which is weird since we both preferred the others lol

I really can’t thank everyone enough for the kind words, it’s really helped the whole situation mellow out a bit more, sitting at home with it all wrapped and gooey thinking about what i’d change etc, when in reality I really just wanna block that out and enjoy it, hopefully over the coming weeks!

If you guys want to see it, I don’t have any pictures because it’s currently wrapped up, but sewp posted a video on his instagram story if you want to check it out:
https://www.instagram.com/sewp/

I wish slightly bummed today again because we tattooed for even less time than yesterday, from about 12-4:30, and I just kinda felt like paying for a full day, I was thinking we’d do 6-8 hours a day (my thought was 6), and felt as though today wasn’t nearly a full day and if we’d started earlier and gone until later we could’ve done another piece, but then again this feeling probably comes from it being my first tattoo and thinking full day meant like a long ass day.

Only other thing to moan about is that I was kinda sad we did a side on ‘pin-up girl’ - I felt this kinda one woulda been so much more fitting and gorgeous for the space / drip design:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf1KuMhD...sewp
But once again, I didn’t mention it and kinda just went with his ideas because I understand he’s trying to create what he thinks is best, maybe if I still feel like this about it in the coming months it’s just a lesson to be a bit more back and forth in the creative process since it’s not like they’re going to know what you like more unless you mention it.

I just think 5 minutes of 'what do you like, what do you think, is there anything you're unsure of' would kinda brought up a dialogue that would've made me a lot more at ease. But then again, he was a lovely guy, I had a really nice time stupid complaints aside, and he said he really really loved working on the piece and it was one of his favorites which was great to hear, I wish more people would give him more space to do bigger work, it seems like he really really wants it, and I mean.... I couldn't complain about having him to look at while tattooing, there's some super cute guys working at parliament lmao

We talked about a third appointment in future, and thinking on it and stuff. At the minute i’m not sure, I did have more ideas but looking at it
It’s done like half an infinity sign, it wraps really well around my arm and part of me is thinking the space would be a great one to go half and half with artists, and I think maybe i’d feel overwhelmed with more all black sewp filling the other half of the sleeve, and part of me thinks that having something a lot thinner and delicate, whilst keeping in the same theme / complimenting the sleeve would be amazing, someone like oozy:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Be5XcL1g...by=oozy_tattoo
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZyV-_vF...by=oozy_tattoo

With a small amount of colour built into 2 big pieces or 3 small pieces (that’s what would fit in looking at the size of the gap
Not that sewp can’t do delicate, the linework he did on the pin-up girls body and the wolf shows otherwise, but like with the ones I got now, I feel like taking a shot in the dark and trying something an artist he’s never really done before could be a bad idea. Since I would love to get something for my second ‘tattoo’ that was an instant love design wise before it went on, rather than something i’ll most likely grow to love as it was different from something I envisioned, whereas with a lot of thin line artists (especially korean ones) i’m not super obsessing and picky through their work so I wouldn’t have the same ‘i wish i had this part of sewps previous work, and this part’ etc

Last edited by HarlemThorne; 09-03-2018 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Missed info
HarlemThorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:02 PM   #25
Mumbler

Also, some advice would be great, sewp seemed a little unsure when giving me aftercare advice and I understand because he's so used to doing small ones because people don't have the money to dedicate to as much as I got these past 2 days (not that i'm super loaded either, which is maybe why i'm slightly disappointed in how much was done, because I thought i'd get a bit more done), but it's done now so w/e

We wrapped up at 5, he said to keep it wrapped until 10/11, shower it off with plain shower gel - nothing perfumed or anything, this is what I have at home, would this be ok?
https://www.neutralsensitiveskin.com.../11313229.html
Leave it to air dry, but then I can't remember if he said to wrap it back up again - because at this point another artist came over who he asked some advice too, and I was half passed out from the pain of the armpit bit - do I wrap it back up again for another day?

And it seemed kinda torn on the covering part, sewp didn't seem too into moisturiser or wrapping, he was more air dry, but then other guy who ran the place said something about cocoa butter as he was walking away as sewp was saying something about shea butter. I think maybe some kinda print out woulda been a good idea because I was kinda expecting a really detailed time layout of what to do for how long, especially because of the price that went into it, the worst thing that could happen would be to not look after it right in such a delicate time
So yeah, some advice on that would be great
Old 09-03-2018, 11:12 PM   #26
Mumbler

The main instant love things was the dripping, he really listened to that idea which before everything I wanted as my frame piece, and made sure to say I wanted it to drip more like paint and not water, captured it perfectly - better than I could have imagined, and listened to me when I asked to bring them further down and wrap more, we really bounced well off eachother on that idea and it was so much fun to work together to drag them around down more and looking at them now makes me really happy
Old 09-03-2018, 11:14 PM   #27
Jedi Chat Master

I absolutely hate the idea of you getting something delicate like what you linked, i don’t think it pairs well with what sewp did and i also don’t think the piece itself will be strong enough to hold against sewps. kinda like being lost in translation almost.

i’d honestly just to back to sewp to finish everything up. i understand being hesitant and freaking out over the amount of black in your arm but i think in the coming months you’ll get used to it and fully appreciate your awesome sleeve. 1.2k for only 4.5 hours is fairly steep and i agree with you there, but put it this way, you’re paying for something unique and one of kind, that’s what you got. almost looks like you should be done with another session, maybe next time raise your concerns about the cost and say you’d only be able to afford 1 more session.

i’m glad you went through with it though, i actually really enjoy what you have and would be very happy to wear something like that.

as for healing, we all do it differently. i don’t bother with wrapping overnight and just apply hustle butter/cocoa butter sparingly before i go to bed. but what you can do is unwrap, wash it with the soap you got(it’s perfrctly fine) then re wrap overnight, take it off the next morning, wash tattoo again and apply cocoa butter then reapplying every time your tattoo feels dry. no need for anymore wraps after the first night, however definitely keep moisturising through out the rest of the day until everything is done peeling.

Last edited by Dominiccjs; 09-03-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Dominiccjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:26 PM   #28
Mumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominiccjs View Post
I absolutely hate the idea of you getting something delicate like what you linked, i donít think it pairs well with what sewp did and i also donít think the piece itself will be strong enough to hold against sewps. kinda like being lost in translation almost.

iíd honestly just to back to sewp to finish everything up. i understand being hesitant and freaking out over the amount of black in your arm but i think in the coming months youíll get used to it and fully appreciate your awesome sleeve. 1.2k for only 4.5 hours is fairly steep and i agree with you there, but put it this way, youíre paying for something unique and one of kind, thatís what you got. almost looks like you should be done with another session, maybe next time raise your concerns about the cost and say youíd only be able to afford 1 more session.

iím glad you went through with it though, i actually really enjoy what you have and would be very happy to wear something like that.

as for healing, we all do it differently. i donít bother with wrapping overnight and just apply hustle butter/cocoa butter sparingly before i go to bed. but what you can do is unwrap, wash it with the soap you got(itís perfrctly fine) then re wrap overnight, take it off the next morning, wash tattoo again and apply cocoa butter then reapplying every time your tattoo feels dry. no need for anymore wraps after the first night, however definitely keep moisturising through out the rest of the day until everything is done peeling.
Thanks for the honesty dominic - it definitely makes sense and i'll take it on board. I probably just need the time in between now and having another session (which could be 6 months anyway since he might not be back until september, and he might be here in july but my scars probably wouldn't heal by then and I more than likely couldn't set aside yet another 1.2k between now and then, 2.4 was already a huge stretch - I think because of the smallish amount of time on both days, that 2k would've been fairer (my original quote was 2-2.4) I didn't have the money to tip today, but I felt like 2.4 was more than fair for about 9 hours of tattooing over two days (that and I paid 800 for my damn cats vet bills this morning too so I made sure to mention it just so sewp didn't think I was screwing him, sadly money doesn't grow on trees lol)

Thanks for the info, that was along the lines of what whoever the experienced head guy at parliament mentioned to sewp, I should've wrote it down but I was close to throwing up after going over my armpit 4 times. Any recommendations on wheres a good place to pick up cocoa butter? (I'm in London if that helps anyone) Kinda panicking it's friday evening, and come tomorrow I won't have anything to start the moisturising process - and even if I order online tonight whatever it is won't come until monday onwards
And all I have moisturiser wise in the house at the moment are these:
http://www.boots.com/simple-kind-to-...125ml-10023879
Simple Kind to Skin Rich Moisturiser Replenishing 125ml - Boots
Simple Water Boost Hydrating Gel Cream 50ml
Old 09-03-2018, 11:40 PM   #29
Jedi Chat Master

you should be able to get cocoa butter from any pharmacy/chemist off the shelf. the simple skin rich moisturiser will work fine though so don’t sweat it.

yeah i understand fully how you feel, i paid 2.2k for my left sleeve and that was ONLY for the outline, the cunt who did it started late, charged me for the time he took to smoke etc. i was young then and didn’t know any better. overall the most you’d pay is around the 4k range for ur sleeve, i feel like for something of that quality 4k as an overall cost is very fair when put into perspective.

as for tipping, i’m from a country that doesn’t have tipping culture so i never tip, not in the form of money at least. it is always in gifts. don’t feel bad about not tipping, he was well compensated for his time.
Dominiccjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:04 AM   #30
Jedi Chat Master

Dude it looks great and I’d 100% continue the sleeve with him. I don’t think his work would pair well with a delicate line artist. The price does seem steep but he’s a travelling artist and you’re in London. Kinda sucks I know, but it’ll be worth it in the end!

For your aftercare get down to Boots. I would apply a very, very thin layer of Bepanthen (by the nappies) and wrap for a few days until it starts to peel. You can change the wrap in the morning and evening. You can also air it out at home but keep the cream applied. Once it starts to peel then switch to Palmer’s Cocoa Butter (in Boots, also by the nappies) and keep it moisturised. Once it’s healed I’ve recently discovered Elbow Grease from Lush and that’s been working well for me, applying three times a day.

Last edited by tdhine; 10-03-2018 at 12:11 AM.
tdhine is offline   Reply With Quote