Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum

Big Tattoo Planet Community Forum (http://www.bigtattooplanet.com/forums/)
-   Tattoo Talk (http://www.bigtattooplanet.com/forums/tattoo-talk/)
-   -   2nd day tattoo appointment questions (http://www.bigtattooplanet.com/forums/tattoo-talk/55042-2nd-day-tattoo-appointment-questions)

HarlemThorne 08-03-2018 09:30 PM

2nd day tattoo appointment questions

Hey,

So I had the first day of my sleeve appointment today, I like the tattoo, there are some things that ended up being put on that I wasn't too happy about - but overall I like it.

The only problem I have is, back when I booked it I asked about a sleeve and I was told to be booked in for two days - but at the appointment I was then suddenly told it would most likely be 3-4 which kinda pissed me off, purely because of how much money I was paying (1.2k a day) that I honestly wouldn't have booked in for a sleeve had he told me at the time it would be 3-4 full day sessions (And it being my first tattoo I had no idea about the timeline and felt like I was clear on what I wanted so I don't understand why it was left to the appointment to say, it seemed like a kind of 'you're here now so' kinda situation. A lot of the other artists in the shop charged around 100-150 per hour, I paid 1.2 to be tattooed for not even 6 hours.

At the end of the appointment he wanted to talk about tomorrow and ideas and stuff (already starts talking about stuff to do in the third appointment which he has no idea when is because he's a guest artist so might not even be back this year) he starts mentioning a load of stuff completely out of nowhere that I hated (Skulls / skeletons) even though I sent him the most clear thought out ideas list / graphic you could make - in the end I steered him towards a wolf which i wanted but I still wasn't really left happy or looking forward after the conversation and all i've been feeling tonight is 'god do i even want to turn up tomorrow' which isn't really the nicest thought process to have

In the end I just feel like I paid a lot of money for pretty much 1/4 of a sleeve that yes took time, but no is not intricate or /super/ detailed as the majority of it is solid blackwork and the only shading is on the face / top which cant be more than a couple inches of space
And 1.2k is a lot of money to me and i'm kinda thinking do I really want to pay 1.2k again tomorrow for another 1/4 of a sleeve that could potentially only be something like this size and maybe not even the kind of design I want - and then would have to fight through the anxiety of saying I don't like it and then sit around for god knows long for a redesign:
https://scontent-lht6-1.cdninstagram...22906112_n.jpg

Kinda just looking for some advice on how to proceed / a place to rant

HarlemThorne 08-03-2018 09:33 PM

Also - is it normal to feel completely overwhelmed, like... i'm looking at my arm and so much of it is covered (I'd post pics but it's all wrapped up) and i'm kind of feeling 'fuck what have I done' along with a mix of feeling ill and nauseous, and ever so slightly wanting to cry :aw:

Mostincrediblyawesome 08-03-2018 09:54 PM

It’s not unusual to get that “fuck what have I done” feeling. It usually passes once you get used to the coverage and how to love it so I wouldn’t worry too much about that, especially since you seem to like what you’ve got overall.

Is that your tattoo in the pic? I only ask cos it’s a skull and you imply you didn’t want a skull. Also, it looks like there’s a tattoo next to it?

2 days for a full sleeve was always going to be ambitious so I guess you need to think carefully about how much you want to spend getting it done by this artist. Who is the artist?

DGreenwood 08-03-2018 10:26 PM

Four days for a sleeve is still fast. I know you feel mislead since you were originally told two, and that makes sense. But at least know that four days for a sleeve is moving pretty well.

Artists love creative freedom so I'm not surprised he tried to steer you toward some ideas he thought were cool, but it sounds like you communicated with him well about things he was talking about that you didn't like and maybe you made some compromises on some things that weren't exactly how you envisioned them but seemed ok. That's pretty much a perfect consultation in my mind. If you make a talented artist do exactly what you have in your mind instead of giving him some freedom to contribute ideas, you end up with mediocre (or even bad) tattoo. Trusting the artist to improve on your concept is where the magic happens. Is this Sewp? If so, he's a good artist. If you like his style I'd give him as much freedom as you can and let him be creative.

But it does suck that you thought it would be two days instead of four. But at least he cleared it up before you started so you had a chance to back out at that point if four days was too much.

I'm also confused because that's a skull and you said you talked him out of a skull and got a wolf instead.

HarlemThorne 08-03-2018 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mostincrediblyawesome (Post 844613)
It’s not unusual to get that “fuck what have I done” feeling. It usually passes once you get used to the coverage and how to love it so I wouldn’t worry too much about that, especially since you seem to like what you’ve got overall.

Is that your tattoo in the pic? I only ask cos it’s a skull and you imply you didn’t want a skull. Also, it looks like there’s a tattoo next to it?

2 days for a full sleeve was always going to be ambitious so I guess you need to think carefully about how much you want to spend getting it done by this artist. Who is the artist?

I'm glad to hear it, now I feel less ill i'm kinda calming down, I think i'd just got home and stressed about everything.
My tattoo is linked in the reply below, the skull was just a 'I'd be really upset if all we got done tomorrow was another small piece like that', not my tattoo or anything

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGreenwood (Post 844615)
Four days for a sleeve is still fast. I know you feel mislead since you were originally told two, and that makes sense. But at least know that four days for a sleeve is moving pretty well.

Artists love creative freedom so I'm not surprised he tried to steer you toward some ideas he thought were cool, but it sounds like you communicated with him well about things he was talking about that you didn't like and maybe you made some compromises on some things that weren't exactly how you envisioned them but seemed ok. That's pretty much a perfect consultation in my mind. If you make a talented artist do exactly what you have in your mind instead of giving him some freedom to contribute ideas, you end up with mediocre (or even bad) tattoo. Trusting the artist to improve on your concept is where the magic happens. Is this Sewp? If so, he's a good artist. If you like his style I'd give him as much freedom as you can and let him be creative.

But it does suck that you thought it would be two days instead of four. But at least he cleared it up before you started so you had a chance to back out at that point if four days was too much.

I'm also confused because that's a skull and you said you talked him out of a skull and got a wolf instead.

Yeah reading online I understand that now, but I still can’t help feeling like what you said - mislead. I understand that things takes time and stuff - i’m just kind of annoyed I wasn’t told this upfront, not even that, just that it was left until in person to say something I kinda felt like it shoulda been said when booking the days.

Yeah it’s sewp, I think i’m just a little sad we didn’t go for the dark pin-up girl face, or this face:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYx9Dxjn...&taken-by=sewp
There’s something a little strong about the face mine has that isn’t as cute as I hoped it would be (this is mine):
https://www.instagram.com/p/BgE0TNfF...&taken-by=sewp
I understand about the creative thing, but at the same time it’s kinda like, I was pretty lose about this and didn’t ask for any changes and now i’m kinda stuck with the horrible feeling of ‘I wish i’d asked for normal straight hair over a bun’ and about the face.

And I mean I couldn’t really back out because I had the stencil on and idk I didn’t really feel like I could have time to think about it and stuff - but yeah i’m not super happy about the 4 days thing, but i’m hoping tomorrow we can just do two more pieces and have a partial sleeve for now, i’m more than happy with that. Not that I feel it's sewps fault or anything, it wasn't even him I spoke to when made the booking, it just seems weird I was so specific in the email and it was left until 4 months later the day of to talk about how much was being done etc

tdhine 08-03-2018 11:08 PM

I remember you posted a couple of weeks ago. I did say two days for a sleeve sounds a little optimistic. I think your tattoo looks great though! Are you leaving the scarred area for next time?

DGreenwood 08-03-2018 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarlemThorne (Post 844617)
I'm glad to hear it, now I feel less ill i'm kinda calming down, I think i'd just got home and stressed about everything.
My tattoo is linked in the reply below, the skull was just a 'I'd be really upset if all we got done tomorrow was another small piece like that', not my tattoo or anything

Yeah reading online I understand that now, but I still canít help feeling like what you said - mislead. I understand that things takes time and stuff - iím just kind of annoyed I wasnít told this upfront, not even that, just that it was left until in person to say something I kinda felt like it shoulda been said when booking the days.

Yeah itís sewp, I think iím just a little sad we didnít go for the dark pin-up girl face, or this face:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYx9Dxjn...&taken-by=sewp
Thereís something a little strong about the face mine has that isnít as cute as I hoped it would be (this is mine):
https://www.instagram.com/p/BgE0TNfF...&taken-by=sewp
I understand about the creative thing, but at the same time itís kinda like, I was pretty lose about this and didnít ask for any changes and now iím kinda stuck with the horrible feeling of ĎI wish iíd asked for normal straight hair over a buní and about the face.

And I mean I couldnít really back out because I had the stencil on and idk I didnít really feel like I could have time to think about it and stuff - but yeah iím not super happy about the 4 days thing, but iím hoping tomorrow we can just do two more pieces and have a partial sleeve for now, iím more than happy with that. Not that I feel it's sewps fault or anything, it wasn't even him I spoke to when made the booking, it just seems weird I was so specific in the email and it was left until 4 months later the day of to talk about how much was being done etc

If you go into a tattoo appointment with a very specific idea of exactly what it's going to look like, you are almost always going to be disappointed. The trick is going in open minded and then judging the new tattoo on its own merits instead of comparing it to what you saw in your head.

I think that's what you are dealing with. You picked your absolute favorite tattoos he ever did and then hoped you'd like yours just as much. The odds of that are pretty slim.

Dominiccjs 08-03-2018 11:18 PM

think it’s normal for the amount of days expected to complete a tattoo to always change, particularly when you’re working on a large project. 1.2k is a decent amount of money though and i understand your frustration, you expected a sleeve to cost 2.4 and now it’s going to probably cost you double that.

in regards to creative freedom, i’ve got to agree with what greenwood said. it’s hard to expect the best work out of the artist when he doesn’t have much room to work with. there needs to be some give and take between what you want and what the artist envisions, a compromise on both ends will almost certainly give you a better tattoo.

between the two instagram links, i actually prefer yours a lot more and would be very happy to wear a piece like that. i think its brilliant and has a very nice flow to it.

HarlemThorne 08-03-2018 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdhine (Post 844618)
I remember you posted a couple of weeks ago. I did say two days for a sleeve sounds a little optimistic. I think your tattoo looks great though! Are you leaving the scarred area for next time?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGreenwood (Post 844619)
If you go into a tattoo appointment with a very specific idea of exactly what it's going to look like, you are almost always going to be disappointed. The trick is going in open minded and then judging the new tattoo on its own merits instead of comparing it to what you saw in your head.

I think that's what you are dealing with. You picked your absolute favorite tattoos he ever did and then hoped you'd like yours just as much. The odds of that are pretty slim.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominiccjs (Post 844620)
think itís normal for the amount of days expected to complete a tattoo to always change, particularly when youíre working on a large project. 1.2k is a decent amount of money though and i understand your frustration, you expected a sleeve to cost 2.4 and now itís going to probably cost you double that.

in regards to creative freedom, iíve got to agree with what greenwood said. itís hard to expect the best work out of the artist when he doesnít have much room to work with. there needs to be some give and take between what you want and what the artist envisions, a compromise on both ends will almost certainly give you a better tattoo.

between the two instagram links, i actually prefer yours a lot more and would be very happy to wear a piece like that. i think its brilliant and has a very nice flow to it.

Yeah I think my OCD planning and going over it made everything worse - my plans to him cherry picked my favourites parts of everything and sadly certain parts didnít live up to the image I had in my head - itís just such a strong face and I hate this feeling because everything else is so nice, I just wish the face had been slightly cuter

Yeah thatís definitely it, I totally get the price when I try and be objective, most of the artists there are 100-150 per hour, maybe I just kinda hoped that for the price I was paying weíd get 2 days of 8 hours and not kinda, 200 per hour for 2 6 hour days - once again I guess itís my expectations changing on top of everything else, I think if iíd have known these past few months I woulda been able to digest it.

Thanks for the kind words about the tattoo - just for some advice from you guys, iím really leaning towards asking for some drips down the face to maybe change how I feel about the face a little, it really fucking sucks that iím so hung up on it and Iím telling myself this change might make it better but I donít know

DGreenwood 08-03-2018 11:33 PM

Go read the comments people are leaving on that Instagram post. That's your tattoo they are talking about. That should make you feel better.

I think you are having a bit of "What have I done!" anxiety, but that's a good tattoo.