Old 08-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #1
Chat Virgin

Default Nerve or muscle pain

I got my first tattoo, which is just a tiny 2cm one on my neck, behind my ear. After a few days I started getting bad headaches when I moved my head, right at the base of my head where it meets my neck. Then the pain gradually shifted to my shoulder and I occasionally get tingling in my hand. Is there any possibility the artist may have damaged my nerves or muscles when doing the tattoo? I felt fine the first couple of days after getting it done. I'm really worried I'm stuck with permanent pain forever for the sake of a tiny drawing on my neck.
teacup11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
Jedi Chat Master

I'm sure you will be fine but go to your doctor if you are concerned
Old 08-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #3
Chat Virgin

Thanks. I went to the doctor when the headaches started and he seemed to think it was a tension headache. But the fact it's moved to my shoulder makes me think it's nerve related. I'll go back next week to the doctor and find out. The tattoo shop said that there could be inflammation from the tattoo irritating a nerve, but it has healed fine, and it's been 2 weeks since I got it now. Hoping I'll be back to normal soon!
Old 09-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #4
Chat Slut

The needle doesn't really go that deep into the skin (like millimeters in). I really doubt that the tattoo hit a nerve, much less is causing you permanent pain. It's likely unrelated

And mediocre artists can't do great tattoos, no matter how great your idea is." -D. Greenwood
Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:46 PM   #5
Chat Virgin

Thank you. I hoped it wasn't the cause. It must have just been a coincidence. I wondered if maybe the pressure of him pushing down on my neck may have done something, but as I was fine the first few days afterwards then it's unlikely.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:57 AM   #6
Chat Slut

Totally unrelated. Hope you get it sorted it out.
oboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:04 PM   #7
Chat Virgin

Thanks, it's almost gone now, so hopefully it's not permanent pain. That was a rough two weeks though.
Old 26-06-2018, 10:53 AM   #8
Chat Virgin

Well despite thinking the pain was going, it's still there and it's been over three weeks now. It's definitely related to the tattoo, because the aching keeps coming from the tattoo site. Is muscle pain not normal after a tattoo then? Fed up with it now.
Old 26-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #9
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacup11 View Post
Well despite thinking the pain was going, it's still there and it's been over three weeks now. It's definitely related to the tattoo, because the aching keeps coming from the tattoo site. Is muscle pain not normal after a tattoo then? Fed up with it now.
The brain is a powerful thing. Do you keep thinking about it? Just saying it might just be tension headache.
Old 26-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #10
Chat Virgin

The headaches aren't there anymore so much. I do think anxiety caused some of my previous symptoms, but the neck pain is still there and often radiates from the tattoo area. I wonder if my body is having a freak out about the ink, but the tattoo itself looks fine. I'm not anxious about it anymore, just fed up. I'm feeling a lot better than a couple of weeks ago, so I'm pretty sure I'll be back to normal soon. Just annoyed that I seem to have had this problem, and it's putting me off getting another tattoo.